Ski pole for tube attachment

Sparike

Seaman Apprentice
I've read where it has been done with no issues, I've read where it is the worst thing to do, but I've never came across a thread that explains why, or someone that has had bad experience. All I want to do is get the rope out of the water so it's not spraying in the kid's face

jbcurt00

Staff member
Tube submarines and either the tow rope snaps or the ski pole does. Neither projectile is passeger friendly....

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There are a few options to keep the rope out of the water. The best might be a spinner float in the line from the boat. Booster Ball is one type of these. You could use a tow pylon but it must be a very good one that is supported and braced almost to the attachment point, or one on a competition style tow ports boat. Anything less and it will fold, which really messes up your watersports day. The third option is attaching the tube to a tower which will probably not fold but will tear the top deck apart on your boat as you put a few thousand pounds of force at the top of a five food lever.
A tube submarining can stop your boat and break a 2500 pound tow rope. It's much more load than a competition slalom skier can put out. My advice is to start with the assumption that tubing is a 'wet' sport and that is it's purpose. Tow them slow over huge bumps and watch the riders fly straight up. There is a certain joy in punishing your friends and kids in this simple way.

Superchief

Cadet
a few ski boat towers have been damaged by a submarining tube, the main pole/pylon in the middle of a Mastercraft can take the hit, the rear tow hook is also supposed to. Ultimately it's the boat owners/drivers responsibility to always watch the rider through a mirror.

I inform anyone that rides a tube behind my boat, that tubing is not for your entertainment, its for mine. If you don't like it learn to ski.

ahicks

Captain
a few ski boat towers have been damaged by a submarining tube, the main pole/pylon in the middle of a Mastercraft can take the hit, the rear tow hook is also supposed to. Ultimately it's the boat owners/drivers responsibility to always watch the rider through a mirror.

I inform anyone that rides a tube behind my boat, that tubing is not for your entertainment, its for mine. If you don't like it learn to ski.
No truer statement ever spoken!!! If you aren't entertaining enough at our current speed, I'll bet I can find a speed where you will be! Kidding of course. But the tuber behind my boat doesn't need to know that.... -Al