Ski pole for 2002 Hurricane Fun Deck 232 GS inboard?

kayakrich

Cadet
Hi everyone. I can't wait for warm weather. I am looking into a ski pole for the Fundeck. The normal ski ring on the stern is too low. When pulling tubes or knee boards the rope dangles int he water and spray soaks the riders. Anyone install a ski pole on their inboard? Any specific place or equipment reccomendations?
Thanks!!

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Ski pole for 2002 Hurricane Fun Deck 232 GS inboard?

I've got a ski pole on my boat, but the dealer advised me not to use it to tow tubes (especially if I was towing bigger kids or adults). He said that he had seen poles bent, and boats damaged when the tubes submarined, so I tow the tubes from the stern eyes with a "Y" harness. I tow kneeboarders/wakeboarders and skiers from the pole.

I had the same problem with the rope dragging the wake when towing from the stern eyes. A friend recommended one of these balls that go in the middle of the rope between the tube to keep the rope out of the water. So far it has worked well. I think it is called a Booster Ball, but I can't remember for sure. May be an alternative to consider if you can't do a pole.

937635943_7a5NL-XL-2.jpg

1194648592_5yadq-L.jpg

893691424_AkK6F-XL.jpg

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

kayakrich.....Ernest T is bang on.... using one of those ski poles is not the right thing to do for the reasons stated. I've seen two of these used for this purposed and they do bend under the load of a tube. Consider his setup. It is in fact a Booster Ball from Sportsstuff (http://www.sportsstuff.com).... You can get the new on ebay with shipping around $75.

ErnestT.... I love the setup.... I just purchased the exact Booster Ball and Big Mable. Pick them up this week. Glad to hear its working out. Any issues with the rope and ball setup on the booster ball? What keeps it in place is it looks like a simple strap?

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got one on Amazon for $65 plus shipping but haven't tried it yet.

Made by SportsStuff 4k Booster Ball.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

ErnestT.... I love the setup.... I just purchased the exact Booster Ball and Big Mable. Pick them up this week. Glad to hear its working out. Any issues with the rope and ball setup on the booster ball? What keeps it in place is it looks like a simple strap?

So far the Booster Ball setup has worked well with the Big Mable. The rope that comes with it is very heavy duty, and there are canvas straps around the ball, so no worries about breakage. I've pulled 2 large adults...........no problems. My complaint is the Big Mable is BIG! So there is little space on the boat to blow it up, and once it's blown up it it is awkward to transport unless you tow it. Plus there are 2 compartments that have to be inflated, so once you get it ready, you don't want to deflate it very soon. The ball is just one more thing to blow up, but not a big deal. I wish I could figure out a way to strap the thing in place out of the way when not in use.

Once you try it out maybe you will have some suggestions!:D

kayakrich

Cadet

Hey guys. Thanks for all the advice. I LIKE it. Just ordered the 'Ball' and will try it out this weekend.
I'll also update the picture here with the boat!! This will be the first Memorial Day with it. Does anyone else have cabin fever?

So one final question: Would you guys recommend using the tow ring on the stern for pulling inflatables, or prefer the stern eyes with a Y harness because of the load?

Sorry for the delay in responding to you all, trying to unload the old Bayliner......

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've had cabin fever since last October. I tried the ball this past weekend (1st time) pulling a 3 seat airhead using the ring, worked well on my FDGS202.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Tow ring is low enough and setup for that use... I'd have no concerns. I don't have that on mine (outboard) so I have to use harness.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

So far the Booster Ball setup has worked well with the Big Mable. The rope that comes with it is very heavy duty, and there are canvas straps around the ball, so no worries about breakage. I've pulled 2 large adults...........no problems. My complaint is the Big Mable is BIG! So there is little space on the boat to blow it up, and once it's blown up it it is awkward to transport unless you tow it. Plus there are 2 compartments that have to be inflated, so once you get it ready, you don't want to deflate it very soon. The ball is just one more thing to blow up, but not a big deal. I wish I could figure out a way to strap the thing in place out of the way when not in use.

Once you try it out maybe you will have some suggestions!:D

ErnestT....Got it, set it up and used it this weekend. LOVE IT.....I agree with the size of Big Mable. In fact, I bought it because the new design has the sides on it. A friend has the 3 person GREAT BIG MABLE...... try that for being too big.

However, I'm fortune that my boat is docked a few mins walk from my place on the lake so I leave it inflated and stored there and carry it when needed to the boat. I keep the booster ball in the boat with a hand pump to inflate so hoepfully it won't be a huge challenge.

It works extremely well and the kids love it.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, that Big Mable does look fun. I know my kids and their friends like it. I may try it out myself this weekend, if I can trust my wife at the helm................there is not too much she would enjoy seeing more than my big rear end getting bounced out of the Big Mable! :eek: