Ski-plyon Tripod Ideas

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well on my '74 Mark Twain I have a 115 HP Merc and the back end sits quite low in the water. I hate trying to ski with the tow rope in the water and then finally coming out with some slack. So I want to make a ski-pylon over where my engine sits. Basically attach in to the fiberglass splash well/ cover for tanks and battery. I don't want to mount it to the floor because I have problems with the bow rises as of now its only a 16' boat and I am limited on space as is.

It will look something like this hopefully and does anyone know if this type has a special name. For some reason I keep think Engine cage

052909203812.jpg

DSCF126814.jpg

Canada060052.jpg

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Ski-plyon Tripod Ideas

Oh yeah disregard the face I was adjusting. also you can see how low my tow points are on the transom.

Also, you can see the old crappy paint scheme and the new one.

Moody Blue

Captain

I wouldn't trust just the splashwell to provide enough strength to anchor the ski pylon. The other factor is to provide a wide base between the upright and the angled support rods.

You can install a removable pylon that pins into position. When not in use take it out and store it away.

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you do a search on the wakeboarding board, you will find my post on my home built tripod in my Glasspar- search my username EricR. I have pics there and a good description of it.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I might go to the floor for the strength and then use some angle of some sort over the transom and weld to the top of the angle while it kind of caps the transom/splashwell transition. Or I will take some angle and make that transition to the splahwell on the inside and then use some plate with 3 or 4 bolts to transfer the load.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The way you have it drawn,...
It's going to interfere with the motor when you trim/ tilt it up...

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I just need to get the boat out of storage aka my dad's house and start mocking up things. I think mounting it to the floor and using supports going back to the transom area should be strong enough, plus I have neough scrap steel to make it happen.