Ski Nautique Engine Reverse Turn?

overload

Seaman Apprentice
I heard that older Ski Natiques with a Ford V8 and other similar inboard boats have the engine reverse turn, i.e. a left hand rotation. If these are reverse, why would they even use them since you would have to have a LHT prop and all the other parts specifically for a LHT engine rather than the millions of parts out there for a normal engine?

tommays

Admiral
Re: Ski Nautique Engine Reverse Turn?

My BIL has a 77 Correct Craft with a reverse motor, with the gear reduction in the tranny it uses standard right hand props

If they went with a standard motor they would have had to use left hand porps ;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

And my PCM 350 Chevy has left hand rotation with a left hand direct drive Velvet drive and a left hand prop . . . I believe that is typical, even with Fords . . . Correct Craft was an exception if I recall correctly.

Bondo

Staff member

and other similar inboard boats have the engine reverse turn, i.e. a left hand rotation.

Ayuh,....

You've got Something Backwards,.....

CCW, or Lefthanded Is in fact Standard rotation for most motors used in boats...
As viewed from the Working end of the motor...

CW, or Righthanded are the counter rotating motors...

overload

Seaman Apprentice

OK, let me clarify the question as Bond-o sort of pointed to, the rotation will be different from your point of view depending if your looking at the front where the pullies are or facing the business end of the engine. Are these engines reverse turn as opposed to an automotive engine? Anyway is there a performace advatage to this type of set up, if they are reverse turn?

Thanks.

QC

Supreme Mariner

"Standard engine rotation" is left hand as viewed from the back looking at the flywheel . . . All modern truck, automotive, generator set and industrial engines that I know of rotate this way. I/Os reverse this direction in the drive and thus use a right hand propeller. Most standard "reduction gears" or marine transmissions do not. Soooooo, most straight inboards have left hand props . . . Now with twins you want one propeller of each direction, so older applications used opposite rotation engines instead of using the trans to change the rotation. This is much less common today, it is done in the tranny, reverse becomes forward and visa versa if the transmission can handle the torque both ways . . .

So, to your question . . . with boats that have a Starboard helm (most common) and are "single screw" or one engine and propeller, a right hand rotation prop is desirable to help use the weight of the operator to offset the props rotational torque. When a right hand prop is turned the boat wants to list towards port, so weight on the starboard side helps to counter this condition . . . Add some more people and who knows where you end up, so in some ways this whole deal goes out the window, but . . . there is almost always someone at the helm :eek:

The big negative to opposite rotation engines is parts availability and then of course their asscoiated cost.

medic181075

Seaman

I'm gonna throw a small wrench into the works here. This confused the heck out of me until I found it in the manual.

Quote from Volvo Penta manual for AQ131/275, AQ131/290, AQ151/290, AQ171/290:
A left-hand rotating propeller should be selected for single installation. With a left-hand rotating propeller the tendency of the boat to list or veer is reduced.

With a twin installation, the port drive should be adjusted for a left-hand rotating propeller and the starboard drive for a right-hand rotating propeller.

When I bought my boat someone had changed it to a right-hand prop but never changed the linkage over. Needless to say the first time I got it in the water I pulled back to back away from the dock and the boat went forward. The good news is that I corrected so quickly that my wife didn't even notice. How embarrassing that could have been :eek:

QC

Supreme Mariner

All (everyone I have seen) modern Volvo I/Os for single applications with a single propeller (SX) use right hand rotation propellers . . .