SKI LOCKER

msmorto

Petty Officer 3rd Class
http://hometown.aol.com/msmorto/SLATS.html <br /><br />After searching the internet for some ideas, I came across quite a few boats with slats for ski locker access, I'm just wondering if this is a better way to go. Whatever water get in will go in the locker and out to the bilge. The way that CCREW and I want to do it is to seal it as best as possible, that would mean that water would stand with no where to go, What do you all think??? :confused:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: SKI LOCKER

Personaly, I'm building Sealed Limber Holes into Any,+ All Cavities, to Drain Everything into the Pumpable Bilge area.........<br />I've Learn through My observations,<br /> That there is No Such Thing as a WaterProof Compartment..!!!

msmorto

Petty Officer 3rd Class

BONDO.<br />I think that you are correct, the more drainage the better. I think that the slats in the ski locker would also make for better ventilation. :)

18rabbit

Captain

I went the long way around to learn exactly what bondo is saying. Now I think of the bilge as a functioning part of the boat. I let it function. :) I have limbers in every interior space designed to drain (unobstructed) into the bilge.<br /><br />If you design the locker with a slight slope on the bottom, the water will drain to the lowest point. By installing a simple brass nipple you can attach an inexpensive drain line that feeds right into the bilge.<br /><br />You definitely need to vent the ski locker. (Actually, the whole boat wants to be ventilated.) If there is enough circulation under the floor (and there should be), maybe you can vent under there by putting some vents high on the sides of the locker.

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

Price the teak! :eek: <br /><br />I'm not doing the lip thing... I was just going to double the floor, and allow the factory aluminum extrusion to support the locker hatch as it did originally. I liked the teak slat idea, as it provided ventilation but darn, teak is not cheap! <br /><br />-Roger

1965MT

Seaman

Bondo, I was thinking of putting in pvc couplers with pvc plugs that could be unscrewed/removed at my leisure. Is that what you meant by "Sealed Limber Hole"? I am incorporating a Ski Locker in my floor redesign and this is causing the drainage question. I do not want to put in a bunch of Drain Plugs.<br />This is the design I had in mind... Ski Locker

18rabbit

Captain

I don’t know if this is where you are headed, but fwiw I would not allow any bath water to drain into the bilge, re: soap scum. Bath water requires a dedicated pump out system.

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think with the "ski locker" design that you would have enough voluteers to bale out water.<br /> Back to the post.<br /> If water can get in (which it will) then it would seem a good sense to have a system for removing such water. i like the idea of having a catchment area/sump if it could be incorporated some how.<br />Not having ever built or repaired a boat is just an idea and may be impractical.<br />Food for thought anyway

Bondo

Staff member

When I say "Sealed Limber Holes", I mean,<br />I've used 1" PVC, cut Lengthwise, into a half moon shape... Then Epoxied into the stringers/bulkheads in an inverted "U"....<br />That way water Flows accrossed/down the Hull to the pumpable Bilge area... No lip to go over... No Plugs... Just Free-Flowing water... No Humps or Bumps......<br /><br />Don't Worry about building in pitch... Boat hulls are Rarely or Never level... They'll Drain Naturaly... Either with wave action or with the trailer jacked up.......<br /><br />I Truely Believe, If you can keep the water,+/or air Moving through the Underfloor/Bilge areas, Rot can be kept at bay.......

Knightgang

Lieutenant

1965MT,<br /><br />I gotta ask, was the girl part of your design too???

1965MT

Seaman

I can only say that the overall dimensions of the ski locker will be carefully researched. :D

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Well that would have to be one clean ski locker :) <br />In my Four Winns, the ski locker is carpeted, but the anchor locker drains into the ski locker (which then drains into the bilge), keeping that carpet wet. I want to pull out the carpet, let it all dry out, and seal up any wood with good epoxy. Sound good?