Skeet Shooting

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Skeet Shooting

jsfinn, you just made a big "mistake". You picked up and gun and used it. Now you know the thrill of testing your primal hunting skills - even if it is just a "Clay bird'. Yep, just takes one try and most are hooked. My wife wanted to shoot. Took her once, that was all it took. Now there is no problem when I want to get another gun or go hunting. In fact, the last 2 guns I purchased, she got for me as a gift!<br /><br />Yep, only takes on time to get someone hooked on shooting sports! Welcome to the fraternity.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think I'm stopping by the range on the way home from work today. It's 79 and sunny outside. We haven't had a day like this in MONTHS!!<br /><br />I'm hooked!

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br />
Originally posted by jsfinn:<br />I've kind of got my eye on a Remington 870 Express... :)
Great gun, you'll love it if you get it.
I have an 870 Express 12GA and it does everything that I ask of it - and more. :) The Remington 870 Express is by far the best, go anywhere, do anything, drop it in the mud - pick it up and still shoot, best bang for the buck shotgun around!!! :D <br /><br />Butch A.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, I did it. I got myself an 870 Express 12 Gauge <br />shotgun.<br /><br />I looked hard at a lot of other guns, but this one just seemd to be the best built and most comfortable in the price range I was looking at. <br /><br />Also, I thought about getting a semi-auto, like the 1100 or the 11-87, but got the 870 because pumping it is half the fun of shooting it. :) <br /><br />Anyways, I took it out to the skeet range yesterday and can see myself improoving. <br /><br />Today, my shoulder is all black and blue.. Those Winchester AA sporting rounds kick A LOT more than the rounds they sell at the range. :) <br /><br />Thanks for the buying tips I got from everyone - I'm very happy with my purchase.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

You'll love the 870. That is what I carry in my car on duty, and is the most popular for law enforcement use. They are well built guns, and easy to work with if you have a malfunction.

aspeck

Staff member

Yup, sweet gun. But then, there are not too many guns I don't like!

rayjay

Petty Officer 1st Class

I missed a turkey today with both bbls of my Baikal coach gun. Didn't have/make time to pattern it before heading to the woods. Dumb mistake. With my 870 turkey gun I SHOULD have taken I would have gotten one or both of the gobblers that came to me.<br /><br />The little double shoots a little high and I probably didn't get my head down good. I patterned it on the way home. The 870 has a 2.5x scope.<br /><br />There's 3 870's living here . HD, turkey, waterfowl.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Originally posted by jsfinn:<br /> <br /><br />Today, my shoulder is all black and blue.. Those Winchester AA sporting rounds kick A LOT more than the rounds they sell at the range. :) <br /><br />Thanks for the buying tips I got from everyone - I'm very happy with my purchase. [/QB]
-------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Your shoulder should not be black and blue. Next time out have an experienced shooter watch you shoot and tell ya what your doing wrong. It could be several things but I wont venture a guess here, I would have to watch you shoot.<br /><br />By the way congrats on the new toy. Beware those guns have a funny way of multiplying all by themselves. One day there is one or two in the safe, and the next thing ya know there is eight or nine of the little buggers taking up space in there.

PW2

Commander

Now you need to invest in reloading equipment.<br /><br />You can't really improve until you start shooting a few hundred rounds at a time, and store bought shells get pretty spendy.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Went back yesterday and shot some trap. Trap seems MUCH easier than skeet and much quicker too. It was fun, but I like skeet better.<br /><br />What do you figure they do with all of the spent shells and clays at the range? There are just piles and piles of them laying around. It's a county run facility so you would figure they do something good with them.. hmm..<br /><br />Reloading seems like a lot of trouble - particularly when you can buy a case for $4.50. Maybe I'm wrong though.<br /><br />Also, how many rounds to you figure I'd have to put throught the gun before it time to clean it?<br /><br />Again, thanks for all the tips and ideas.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Clean that gun every darn time ya use it. I clean mine if I only run one round through it. <br /><br />I like to run some hoppes through it then run a dry patch through then finally a patch with a little 3in one type oil on it. I make sure to wipe every surface with the lightly oiled rag, It don't take long for a gun to start to show signs of rust if you don't take good care of it.<br /><br />When we shot competitively my father and I would pick up all the empty aa shells we could find and reload em. Back in the day they seemed to be the best to reload

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got it. Thanks, Flathead. I did buy a Hoppes cleaning kit with the gun and have cleaned it twice since I got it on Friday. I've got to run out and get more patches. I seem to go through them quickly. :)

jt57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always liked skeet better then trap myself.Glad to see others involved in the shooting sports.When your ready to step up your shooting,try sporting clays,it's not as easy as it looks,but alot of fun and here is where haveing a o/u or a autoloader will be handy.If your using a pump for sporting clays your at a disavantage,as you need two quick shots.I see shooter's constanly struggle when shooting sporting clays with a pump.One of the hardest things i had to learn about shooting a shotgun was keeping both eyes open when looking at the target.Any way good luck and practice ,practice,practice .