Skeet Shooting

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm not big into guns, and don't know a whole lot about them, but there is a range a few miles away from my house and sometimes on the weekends, I can hear the shotguns booming away. I got a little curious and went to check it out yesterday with a buddy of mine. <br /><br />We went down to the range, got set up with a 12 guague pump Remington and 4 boxes of shells. Although I didn't hit a ton of targets, it was a lot more fun than I expected and now I'm kind of looking forward to going back and giving it another try.<br /><br />I think I'll try shooting a few more times before I go and buy my own shotgun to make sure that I like it, but I've kind of got my eye on a Remington 870 Express... :)

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Skeet Shooting

Originally posted by jsfinn:<br />I've kind of got my eye on a Remington 870 Express... :)
Great gun, you'll love it if you get it. For shooting trap and skeet I prefer the Remington 1100 auto ;)

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

Always follow through (after squeezing trigger keep swinging the gun for another second, "dont stop your swing") <br /><br />It can be addictive.

FLATHEAD

Captain

The 870 express will serve you well for starters.It is a fair gun for trap , but it's roots are still a hunting gun. The 1100 mentioned is also a good firearm for all around use but my opinion is if your going Remington semi auto, go 1187. As far as an investment those two guns are really not going to appreciate in value. But beware my friend competitive shooting can become an addiction. Ive run the gamut of buying up A-5s in all kind of configurations, browning lightnings,Ivor Johnsons, Benelli, Franchi. My current favorite trap gun is a Bt99 that I love. Your addiction will cost ya some bucks but buy quality arms and you'll never lose a dime. I think JB could chime in on that note, he has a similar addiction to fine shotguns.

ndemge

Commander

A friend of mine has a claybird shoot at his dad's farm every year. His uncle has an electric thrower that holds about 1,000 birds, and has a cord that comes back to a remote. Ususally about 20 guys show up for this party. It's a lot of fun.<br /><br /><br />It's usually the same group of guys, all knowing the very simple rule: Don't load until your at the shooting line, and always unload before returning your gun to the designated gun stand.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

The shooting sports are a great thing to be involved with! have fun and enjoy it jsfinn! Thats the main thing.<br /><br />I don't want to dive too deep on this but, look into other guns in and around the same $$ if thats what you've decided to start off with as a price range. There isn't anything wrong with the 870 Express but, there might be better FIT for you concerning off the rack guns.. meaning how the gun fits you dimensionally, how it feels in your hands and on shoulder in swing and eye/barrel/bead(s) relationship.<br /><br />you've got a few options in that price range which the majority of manufacturers are pretty consistant with reliability irregardless of ones personal experiences and opinions.. handle and shoulder as many as you can in that price range. <br /><br />#1 thing on your adjenda is considering FIT and FEEL first and foremost when choosing a shotgun. 'Bad habits' are tough to break and require much time and effort to overcome when the majority of them could be eliminated from the start with a shotgun that FITS and FEELS right..<br /><br />I could go on and on but, above all remember FIT and FEEL!<br /><br />Good luck with it jsfinn - have fun!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Remington 1100 auto
I don't think I have ever trapshot with mine, but I hunt with the heavy b!tch (the gun.... lol!) and I love shooting it. I can second this suggestion, especially if you're just sport shooting or stationary hunting. Walking with it, it gets heavy faster than usual... :D

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

That Remington's a sweet shotgun. Still, I gotta throw in my useless 2 cents. With a little practice you can shoot a pump scattergun quicker than a semi-auto...can't beat the cheap 'ol Mossberg 500 variants for that :cool: I'd bet a bunch of good beer on that one :D <br />Its all about feel.

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got to shoot the 1100. My FIL had one. My SIL got it when he died. Kinda pissed me off. I didn't have the bucks to buy one so I got the 870. Nice gun for the price. Be careful. Have fun. M.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey folks - I took a good look at that 1100 yesterday at the sporting goods store. It seems like a really nice gun.. Maybe next time I go to the range, I'll rent a semi-auto and see how I like it. I'll never get into any compition shooting or anything like that .. just for an hour or so of fun every once in a while. I also looked at a Beretta yesterday and really liked the feel of it. <br /><br />In any case, thanks for the tips!

Bondo

Staff member

The 1100 mentioned is also a good firearm for all around use but my opinion is if your going Remington semi auto, go 1187. As far as an investment those two guns are really not going to appreciate in value. But beware my friend competitive shooting can become an addiction. Ive run the gamut of buying up A-5s in all kind of configurations, browning lightnings,Ivor Johnsons, Benelli, Franchi.
I'm still dragging around an Old A-5 Knock-Off.........<br />Remington Model 11....... She's Older than I,.. Heavier than a Dead Minister,... Uglier than some of My old Girlfriends,....<br />But,... I Still Love Burning Powder with Her...... Couple of boxes, last Sunday..........<br /><br />Even got the old "Select-a-choke".............. ;)

D

DJ

No advice on guns-here.<br /><br />Glad to see you tried it. It's a hoot.<br /><br />I much prefer the REAL thing to sitting on the couch and pressing buttons.<br /><br />Enjoy. A warning, it can be addictive! :eek:

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your serious about buying a gun. Go to a reputable gun dealer (local, cabelas, gander, etc) and have them put each kind on the counter for you to try(Browning, Remington, Beretta, Benelli, etc. ) If you want a pump have them put out all pump guns if auto then all auto's. <br />Then go down the line mounting each one to your shoulder. By doing this you will be able to find a gun that fits you. IMHO if you buy a gun because a friend swears by a certain brand and it does not fit your body you will struggle with it.

D

DJ

Go to a reputable gun dealer (local, cabelas, gander, etc)
Great advice.<br /><br />There is NO pleasure in firing a gun that does not fit.

tylerin

Commander

I hunt w/ my Benelli Auto (many adjustments to fit just about anybody), sometimes my Remington auto, but if all I was going to shoot was skeet or trap I'd go over-under<br />My son uses a Benelli Nova (pump) that I think is as good as the 870, and about the same price.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Very good advice Kevin H. An improperly fitting shotgun will hurt you and cause you to miss targets. When I shot Trap competively in HS, I started out with an off the shelf Remington 1100. Moved to a Trap Grade with the high Vent Rib. But in a act of sheer stupidity, traded for a Remington 3200 O/U. The thing didn't fit me right and kicked like a mule, but all the big timers were shooting O/U's. Spent a lot of Calcutta $$ on getting the thing to fit me. I have shot Remingtons, Winchester pumps, which at one time were the standard, Franchi, but finally, like Flahthead, settled on a Browning BT99, and loved it. The first time I shot the BT in competition was in 1981 at the Southwestern Zone Trapshoot in Buras LA. I had just got the gun on Thursday and we went there on Friday. I missed the first target out of the house and then ran the other 199 straight. So to say I love the gun is an understatement. Also, at the end of the day, I could hold my arm up! Prior to this tournament, I got my old Trap 1100 back, and used it for the doubles. Man were those the days. :)

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey guys - thanks again for the advice you posted here. I went back and shot two more rounds of skeet today. First round was pretty terrible and I actually started hitting some on the 2nd round. There was an older gentleman there who could tell I was new to this and offered some advice to me also about my stance and swinging the gun. Also, part of my problem was I was bringing my head to the gun instead of putting the gun high up on my shoulder and getting everything lined up right. <br /><br />So, you guys are right..it's addicting.. I wanna go back!!! :)

ezbtr

Commander

Hey I go shoot trap and skeet maybe once a month - my old Model 25 Winchester(had since 17 NEVER broke and bought new for $125!!!) 12 ga pump, and shoots 2 & 3/4 AND 3 in mags. (ouch!!!!) with vent rib barrel(helps heat wave dissipation), bead sight and 28" barrel is great for me for trap, is tough on skeet, therefore my 3 lb Russian 3 piece take down,double barrel 12 ga coach gun, twin triggers(NEVER pull em both at same time!)w/ 18" barrels is great. Try a few differnt shotguns to see what works for you, and ALWAYS follow through with swing and lead em! Have fun,