sitex cvs 106 fishfinder q's

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all, picked up the above unit with tri-ducer off of e-bay for my small aluminum boat here in Colorado. seems like too much finder for the small amount of water we have. the transducer was cut, as well as the power cord, but the folks at sitex were great about getting me the wiring diagram so I just pegged all the loose ends and plugged them into the back. seems to work great for reading the bottom, depth, temp and lots of silly colors. my question is ; for the life of me I can not set the fish alarm. yes I have selected that option (fish/bottom alarm) in the menu but when I get the words "fish alarm off" the manual says u just use the "bottom depth key" and set bottom depth via the white scroll bar to the right. that does work but the manual has a picture of the words "fish alarm 40" signifying the lower depth alarm set at 40 feet. Mine shows the words "bottom alarm" as soon as u hit the key. I asked them at sitex about this and they assure me the manual is right. can anyone help me with this? it seems to all work right but I've taken it out five times and can not get the fish alarm to bing once.
thanks!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: sitex cvs 106 fishfinder q's

Which CVS 106 do you have? There are several versions of it.

What purpose do you want the fish alarm to serve? I ran a CVS 106MKII for 4 years and never once used the fish alarm.

The fish alarm is pretty useless. All its doing is signaling that it was a return that equaled the signal you set it to alarm. The sounder does not know if this return came off a fish, a stick, or a piece of floating debris. Your better of learning what a fish looks like on the screen and visually interrupt what under the boat.

Setting the fish alarm is done in three parts. First you have to turn it on (shift), then set the signal magnitude (VRM) and the (size) length (VRM) of school to trigger the alarm.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: sitex cvs 106 fishfinder q's

One of the best finders for the money and GREAT people to deal with. You won't see them in Walmart or big name marine stores. They can't afford to.