Single point drain

ZafSC

Seaman Apprentice
Does the engine have power steering and/or a fuel cooler? If so they may need to be drained unless the one point drain also drains them which should be the case.
My brother’s 2020 Merc had this set up and when we filled it with -100 AF after draining the AF filled the engine & came out the water intakes on the outdrive.
If he still had this boat (traded it on an outboard) I advised him to measure how much water drains that way you can tell if it’s starting to clog. Here in salt water it’s just a matter of time, when that happens I’d think about removing it.
Yes it has power steering and fuel cooler both. I don't know if single point system drains them both. I'll try to check today if they have any drain plugs.
After filling out with -50 pink AF yesterday, I didn't see anything coming out of the water intakes on the sterndrive.
It shouldn't be clogged though, I the boat was on the water running fine last week.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
How old are your coldest anticipated temperatures? If zero or colder I’d have used -100. Go on to www.westmarine.com they have a good article about which antifreeze to use for your climate.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
To clarify a few things...you're in NH right? So freshwater boat right? Are you winterizing on the trailer or in the water? The blue plug on the side of the thermostat housing is to be used to vent the cooling passages if you are draining it while still moored in the water. If in the water the outdrive cannot vent through the water intake because it's submerged. I have the 2002 version of your same engine in KY and for 23 years I have winterized only by turning the SPDS valve and removing and poking the quick disconnects on the each side of the block while on the trailer. Never use AF. My engine now has 1,628 hours and runs at 156 degrees on Vessel View. Take that back, I believe one year I did remove some the hoses to check for clogs and found nothing. I do not have a water heater however.

ZafSC

Seaman Apprentice
To clarify a few things...you're in NH right? So freshwater boat right? Are you winterizing on the trailer or in the water? The blue plug on the side of the thermostat housing is to be used to vent the cooling passages if you are draining it while still moored in the water. If in the water the outdrive cannot vent through the water intake because it's submerged. I have the 2002 version of your same engine in KY and for 23 years I have winterized only by turning the SPDS valve and removing and poking the quick disconnects on the each side of the block while on the trailer. Never use AF. My engine now has 1,628 hours and runs at 156 degrees on Vessel View. Take that back, I believe one year I did remove some the hoses to check for clogs and found nothing. I do not have a water heater however.
Yes NH.. Just moved here last winter, brought the boat in summer, so a bit stressed. Last winter the lakes all around here completely frozen for weeks, it was quite brutal. In summertime I boated both at lakes and also on the ocean. Always keep it on the trailer. I didn't know it can be drained while on the water, I guess it is useful if it always stays in the slip and never leaves water.
Kentucky seems to have freezing temperatures. It looks like residues of water didn't do anything bad to your engine. That is really comforting to hear :)Maybe I am overreacting.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Turn the valve, poke the block drains, should be good to go. It should be sitting level or close as you can get it.

ZafSC

Seaman Apprentice
Turn the valve, poke the block drains, should be good to go. It should be sitting level or close as you can get it.
Just to be on the safe side for the transom area, I plan to feed more antifreeze from the muffs on the sterndrive (Maybe some water left in exhaust manifolds, in the drive etc..). But I am worried that it may take too much time for the pink to appear on the exhaust (Because it took only 3 gallons of AF thru the thermostat opening, not 4.5, so it may wait the AF to fill the remaining areas). Since I removed the thermostat, I am fully sure that AF will go thru all over the engine. My question is how long should I wait for pink to appear in the exhaust? After it takes 1.5 gallon of AF and still nothing coming of exhaust what should I do? Continue filling more AF or just stop the operation.
I am asking this, because even during routine running on the muffs with water (middle of the season), I remember it taking around 10 secs the water to show up in the exhaust.

alldodge

Staff member
It varies but with the block full it will take less. The big thing is don't let the feed run out so not to damage the impeller