single handed launch and retrieval

mandopickr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: single handed launch and retrieval

All these tips have been great. I'll just add one detail that several have already alluded to, that is to know exactly what you are going to do next. For example, after setting up the boat for launching:
Back trailer in to right depth, chock tires, take off winch strap, loop bow line over tongue, remove chock, back up car quickly pushing boat off of trailer, pull up slightly, get out and grab bow line and go to dock, pull boat over and tie up, go back and park car, etc.

Once you get your routine down, you'll be loading faster than a lot of two men teams. And nothing gets your day started better that launching/loading faster than the two yahoos beside you.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Ya know, there's one tip I don't think I saw. If you're going alone, timing is critical. If it's summer, launch really early and leave in the early afternoon or late evening. This pretty much assures that you can get a close spot at the dock and that's going to make it a lot eaiser for you.

cbavier

Lieutenant

i cant imagine having a helper !
i float off and winch on........very rarely power load.

i also back my rig as close to the dock as i can....(inches) so if need be i can manipulate the stern by hopping on to the dock and reach the back of the boat.

find a quiet night at your favrouite launch.....and practice launch and retrival for a few hours.......this includes, launching....tying to the dock......pulling the rig out of the water and driving around the parking lot....then backing down the ramp anew each time.......after ten times....it will be easyer.......and a lot easyer the next night when you come to practice again.

cheers
oops

oops in many states and probably most Power loading is illegal. It will bring you a big fine if you get caught. It destroys the sand at the end of the ramp creating a big hole for the next guys. I always and prefer even if someone is with me to launch and retreive alone. No mistakes or at least I minimize the chance. I ALWAYS PREP IN THE STAGING AREA SO AS TO ONLY TIE UP THE RAMP AS LONG AS NECESSARY. That includes turning the blower on. I use my ORANGE LAUNCH ROPE I CALL IT about 25 ft long and hook it to the cleats front and back on the dock side at the staging area. Make sure it's looped around at least one of the posts when the boat is in the water or at launch while the boat is still on the trailer so the boat doesn't blow/float away. As someone else stated already practice, practice, practice when there is no one else around. I gave it a lot of thought and even did some dry runs at home before ever going to the boat launch. Launching alone is a snap the real challenge is retrieving because of wind and current. Make sure if at all possible the wind or current is blowing toward the dock and not away from it.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

e.g. directional control of stern during launch question.

Again, my boat is smaller but I generally try to get it to launch on one uninterupted motion. Either by backing in and hitting the brakes or pushing off on a good inclined ramp. I use urathane keel rollers which seem to help ALLOT in reducing friction for launch. Once she's of I flip the (floating) bow line outside the guide-on and walk it to the dock/beach. The stern stays in line with the bow during launch since it's a fairly fast and a momentum filled evolution. Not sure how my new (this March) bunk trailered rig will behave. If I can't continue with these low stress /single person launch's, the trailer will get a major overhaul. For me, a boat that is a bear to launch single handedly is one that sits in the driveway unused.
hth

GatorzBack2Back

Seaman Apprentice

I have been launching and retrieving by myself since my wife decided to use the submarine feature on my 2001 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat. (great story....now)

Anyways, I put in my plug, undo the transom straps, put in the key, and load the coolers and such while waiting in line to launch, then, I back in until the stern if afloat. I get out and loosen the winch, at which point, the boat usual slides back a few inches. Then I unhook the hook, and step up onto the trailer frame. Push back a few feet, and then climb onto the bow. Power up, and back away. Easy peasy. THEN, and only THEN, do I let my wife pull up to clear the ramp ASAP.

Then coming in, I get the trailer where I need it, put the bow between the guides, and crawl off the bow onto the trailer to winch the boat up.

These are all things that have been mentioned before by smarter guys than me. Bottom line is that it is simple. VERY SIMPLE. If you are a common sense type of person. After one or two times, you should feel fairly comfortable doing it.

Good luck, and see you out there.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Like I said before. I prefer to do it alone. take my time and take it all real slow so there are no mistakes