Sin Tax

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
I don't know about the other smokers out there, but I feel that targeting the smokers for paying extra tax is unfair and discriminating. Each time they raise the tax on cigaretts, they admit that they loose 4% of the gain due to people quitting and or buying their cigs somewhere else. There is more lower class income smokers than anyone else. So why target these people? It is the one form of enjoyment for them.<br /><br /> If they need income for the states, then put tax on things that pertain to all of the people and not just one group. It would be easy, but of course more people would complain because it would deal with all of us. But here is my suggestion and that is an Entertainment Tax. Tax all sporting events, Baseball, Basketball, Football, Tennis, Swimming, Bowling, Racing, Movies, Camping, and lots of other events. This could be done from School functions to Pro functions. This way it would be fair for everyone.<br /><br /> I look at it this way, if you can afford to go have fun, then you are doing your state justice. Each ticket sold would include a small percentage of tax. Probably less than what is on a pack of cigs.<br /><br /> Of course if your a non-smoker, you won't like this type of tax, but while your sitting in your smoke-free football stadium which was built by the smokers tax as in Cleveland, I hope your favorite team looses their game everytime! Another way to look at it: If your a smoker, and your taxes paid for a place like the stadium in Cleveland, then you should be allowed to smoke. In a since it is a form of taxation with out representation.<br /><br /> Yes I agree it is a dirty nasty habit and has alot of health issues with it also. But this is surpose to be a country of freedom. If I want to smoke my cigs then I should be able to without having to support the states financial problems.<br /><br /> Also while I am on the subject, I think it is a tastless way that the anti-smoking campaign is teaching our children about second hand smoke. My grandchildren look at me different now because of the stupid tastless commercials that they are running on TV. <br /><br /> If there were no such things a cigartetts, what would they tax?<br /><br />Sorry for complaining about this subject, but I feel that the smokers have the same rights as the non-smokers. It is funny that most of the resturants that went to no smoking had to go back to smoking sections due to a large decrease in business. DUH?<br /><br /> It's weird that non-smokers die of lung problems. Must have been the second hand smoke.

495v

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sin Tax

AMEN Mayfloat!!!!! I too am a smoker and on the verge of quitting because this is getting ridiculous. What would have happened to this country if tobbacco was not a part of our exports or agriculture. All this tax to make people quite; if almost everyone quite imagine how much our economy would loose with this multi-billion dollar industry. I say this sucks and would be happy to jump in on a class action lawsuit. Just came back from Mexico and brought a carton of Marlboro's home for $13. Worst case scenario would be an additional 4.10 for tax. Here in the Land of Lincoln it's about $38.00 a carton; that's highway robbery. But then again, your talking about a state that had it's toll roads paid for 10years ago and decided to keep charging people; on top of that their raising the price by 100%!!!!!!!! Can't wait to retire!!!!!

gonfishn

Commander

The only problem I had when quitting was what to do with my left hand while I was nursing a drink with my right. Oh don't let forget the H/A and the other problems I encountered during my 35 years of enjoyment. I sorry to say that I still enjoy sitting around someone who still has that option.<br /><br /> Didn't want to but had to......

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Wow! can't believe my wife actually has a good idea for cigarette tax. Put stickers on each pack of smokes. The when you send in your income tax, you then send in your stickers that you have collected. Then the smoker can get a %50 deduction at the end of the year, while the non-smoker gets a slight increase to cover the %50 of the cigarette tax. That would just about balance it out even between the two groups. What do ya think?

JRJ

Commander

My mom smoked while she was pg with me. I started smoking at 15. Marlboro's were .25 from a machine. My mom & dad died of lung cancer. I quit some years ago, and still feel like lighting one up every once in a while. They smell bad most of the time. I can tell if a person smokes if they get within 5' of me. Let your grandkids make up their own minds on smoking. I guarantee you they will miss you when you're gone, and may wonder why you continued to smoke, knowing it was killing you and the second-hand smoke wasn't good good for them. You have a right to smoke and the rest of us have a right not to wherever we may be. Enjoy ;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

History repeats itself. I just put down the cigarettes for the 4th time (and hopefully my last). I do agree that the tax is getting way out of hand.<br /><br />Now if you were a heroin addict your needles are now free?<br /><br />I wonder if our taxes are bailing out Enron's and Worlcom's... I know our tax dollars are certainly paying (never to be seen again monies) our government salaries. I'm still waiting to be paid back for all the money we wasted "investigating" President Clinton!<br /><br />Bob

JRJ

Commander

Good luck with quitting Bob_VT, I cheated by getting pneumonia. 10 days no smoke or drink did the trick...well, except for the drink. You probably heard about the guys that peeled the lables off the beer bottles and stuck them on their forehead? When the cop asked if they had been drinking, they replied NO, we're on the patch. :p

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

Well gents,<br /><br />As a smoker of 20 years I have a few opinions of my own! ;) <br /><br />I don't agree with the tobacco tax. I KNOW that i don't know all of what is taxed and whats not but I don't know of to many other specilty taxes (geared to a specific group) with the agenda of makeing them quit what they are being taxed for.<br /><br />Dose that make sence?<br /><br />Another thing I have a problem with is the whole "law suit" thing.<br /><br />As a smoker, well awear of the dangers, I would love to quit smokeing....But i can't! Bob VT said "what if you are a heroin addict".....We are in a way....They have stated that nicotine is as addictive as heroin. I agree!<br /><br />Now i think if there is to be a law suit there should'nt be a money goal but sue for the tobacco CO. or the goverment to make a cure for this addiction....And anyone who says they would not quit if they could take a pill and never feel the first bit of withdrawl symptems is full of sh!t.<br /><br />I can't think of one reason to start smokeing....Can any of you? So how can we say we would not quit if the cure was put down on the table right in front of us.<br /><br />I sure could buy alot of bait with that money ;) <br /><br />But more than that I would just like quit. No more no less.<br /><br /> I enjoy smokeing my pipe (black cavendish.....uuuummmmmm yea baby). I once got kicked out into the rain from a resteraunt because i was smokeing my pipe. It Had a smokeing section (witch i was in) and there were pepole smokeing away on there cigs. and nobody said a word....till i lit up that pipe.<br /><br />Even my kids like it when i lite up my pipe down at the pond while we are fishen....H#ll thats one of the things i liked most about my Great Uncle...he smelled like black cavendish and so did his car (thats why i took so many rides in it)so i cant figure out why they gave me the boot? Musta smelled better than their pizza!<br /><br />If i ever do finaly quit i will raise h#ll till they come out with a black cavendish insence!<br /><br />Till then i don't like being treated like a second class citizen because i smoke and can't quit. Alot of pepole are quick to beat you down for smokeing but they are'nt doing a thing to help you quit (unless it will make them a billion dollars)<br /><br />Just my opinoin.<br /><br />Derwood.

Fishbusters

Ensign

As a non smoker I would agree with not taxing smokers but so far I can't see a reason not to tax them. We get taxed extra on all our fishing needs not to mention gas so why not other things we enjoy like tobacco? I also agree with extra taxes on it because it is harmfull not only to the smoker but folks like me with bad sinuses or my wife who is slightly alergic. As well there are many health issues with long time smokers that need to be addressed and if you put a tax on the cause then you offset the cost of medical care and research. If you as a smoker does not pay for this I feel me as a nonsmoker should not have to. As to heroin addicts getting new needles I agree with it it solves a lot of health problems that once agian taxpayers pay for reducing the overall cost to me out of my pocket.<br />So bottom line is either you pay for your pleasure and all the associated overall costs or quit.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good luck with the quitting, Bob_VT....smoked for 15 years, and still proud of the day I quit, 10 years ago.....everytime you get the urge, remind yourself you already had your LAST one...taxation of 'addictive' substances smells bad to me...wether it be tobacco , alcohol [BATF gets $10.50 on every gallon} or gasoline [LOL]...

crab bait

Captain

delaware just passed a law .. NO SMOKIN' in NO public place AT ALL, PERIOD.. no bars on nuthin'... goes in affect the end of the year.. just 2 weeks ago .. i walked 7 miles home cause the bar i was in was sooo smoky it was like tear gas.. an my 'ride' kept puttin' me off..the heck- widja ,, i walked..had to get outta there.<br /><br />i smoked for gobs of years.. nicotine was my best friend.. i quit for exactly 365 days one time.. it was just as hard the last day as it was the first.. it never got any easier... i said the heck with this,, i surrender.. i can't fight evil.. i was nicotine's b^tch slave..i known 2 herion addicts that quit herion but can't quite smokin'<br /><br />so i started back smokin' .. then i picked SKOAL.. i chewed skoal for 22 years.. a can a day..it was in my jaw EVERY SECOND of my wakin' hours except while fillin' my 'pie hole'..<br /><br />i quit after the oral surgeon had to take a BIOPSY..<br /><br />quittin' was easy .. no prob at all.. the simplist thing i ever done.. it's easy when your facin' face removale.. <br />the test came back O K .. i was fine.. thank GOD..<br /><br /> i wrote the surgeon a letter thankin' him for what he done an that he's the BEST friend i ever had..<br /> <br />tobbacco really messed up my teeth..but<br />after some crowns & teeth whiting.. now i got a hollywood smile..witch is so wonderful.. people treat me better now than with the ole' yellow-brown nasty teeth. nicotine a bad one fellas .. it's just no good... the quicker they phase it off this planet the better.. i did like 'vannalla bean' ,DERWOOD..!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, guys.<br /><br />I feel your pain. I smoked for 50 years and only recently quit. . . I think. I am still taking Zyban twice a day.<br /><br />I think the taxes on alcohol, tobacco and gasoline are extreme. At least the gas tax is used mainly to provide good roads. I think the only worse "tax" on poor folk is State Lotteries and legalized gambling. I see them as "Dream Tax" on never-come-true dreams. :mad: <br /><br />I blame the U.S. Navy for making me an addict in the first place. I only smoked casually while in high school, but when I joined the Navy they issued me a carton of Luckys and gave me a break every hour to smoke them. By the time I left Boot Camp I was an addict. :mad: <br /><br />Good luck on stopping. If you are an addict now, you will be an addict forever, but at least you can become a non-smoking addict. :)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

here in Upsate NY, you can buy ciggs tax free<br />at several Indian reservations. 10min drive for<br />me. Marlboroh's are $25 a carton. they sell<br />them tax free online too and will ship nationwide.<br />I'm addicted, but understand the sin tax. state<br />has to pay a lot to treat smoking related sickness. <br />If we could only be sure thats where the money was going eh????

crab bait

Captain

JB.. you ole guys should really start a class-action law suit if'n ever a class-action law suit was everinvented for.. smokes where literary forced upon you's .. <br />but for young folks who start smokin' now with all the info on them ,,, they're NUTS..!!<br /><br /> an whats up with girls... does E V E R Y .girl/young women smoke ....<br /><br /> an whats up with people in general... the first time ya ever ingested somethin' bad ,, your body let you know.. <br /><br />like your first beer,, UUCCKK.. it was horrible.. why would you want another one..<br /><br />or sip of whiskey ..or smoke ..<br />coughin' & hackin' .. WHY WHY WHY ,, would ya ever want another one ..!!<br /><br />but NOOOOOO bygumitt.. i'm gonna learn howtodo this, I F .I T. K I L L S. M E....<br />i'm gonna persiver...!!! <br /><br />for those who really want to quit..<br />the next time the nicotine monster swopps down on ya... laugh at him... just laugh at him.. an after while he runs away...<br />he's really not so powerful... he's really a coward...<br />ishoulda slapped him upside the head years before..

JRJ

Commander

SS MAYFLOAT, I do agree that using a tax to discourage smoking is bunk. I'll bet most of the money just dissapears. I also think that a smoke can have a relaxing effect, that may do some people more good than harm. When I smoked I think I was a little calmer. Course I had to calm down about 50 times a day. :) I worked with a guy who would only have 2 smokes a day and only after dinner. I don't know how he did it. Sometime after dinner I'd light #50. A friend from work quit smoking 17 years ago. At 48 he was just diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. Smoking related? We don't know for sure, but what if it is? You roll the dice and smok'em if you got 'em ;)

gonfishn

Commander

So does sex and in the long run costs just as much.<br /><br /> The calming Effect Ahhhhhhh.....

martyscher

Petty Officer 1st Class

SS MAYFLOAT <br /><br />As an ex-smoker, I have not followed the current prices/taxes on smokes, but I disagree that smokers are the only one's being singled out for tax increases.<br /><br />When I did smoke, I believe that it was called an "excise" tax then (certainly not as exciting as "sin") and I took it to mean a steady source of income for the feds, fair or not. <br /><br />Everybody pays additonal taxes if they fly, drive, fish, stay at hotels, buy booze, or most anything else. Although I'm not sure where, I vaguely rembember paying an "event" tax at some venue(maybe Mile High).<br /><br />Your grandchildren sound very wise and I'll bet they have been drilled since pre-school on how ridiculus smoking really is (been there - done that)and probably long before those dumb commercials. <br /><br />Most importantly, they probably just want to see and enjoy their Grandpa as long as possible. ;) <br /><br />I do respect your opinions and wish you well.