Simple reason for no religion in pledge

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Simple reason for no religion in pledge

My understanding is, Allah is not the name of a diety, but simply the arabic word meaning God, just as in spanish one would refer to God as Dios.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

You pledge allegence to the flag. I always felt that the "under God" part merely reflected the fact that MOST of the country felt that a divine entity was watching over us. I would see it as more of a problem if "God" was replaced with a specific faiths chosen guy at the top ie; Jesus Christ, Allah, etc. "God" is pretty inclusive for all faiths. <br /><br />I realize nothing I say here will make the atheists happy. Maybe they could view the word "God" as themselves, Captain Kirk, or the ice cream truck driver.

KaGee

Admiral

Accept or deny, like it or not we all serve a god.

txswinner

Banned

All good points but the Pledge is to Country and Flag, it is ok without a religious diety and I feel taking it back out is ok.<br /><br />On Money no problem, no pledge required, just spend.

eeboater

Commander

I pledge allegiance<br />to the flag<br />of the United States of America<br /><br />And to the republic<br />for which it stands<br />One Nation<br />Under God<br />Indivisible<br />With liberty<br />And Justice <br />for all<br /><br /><br />Soooo... how many people in here are hacked off/p*ssed at me for saying that?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Troll.

Ralph 123

Captain

Newt Gingrich puts it best. What separates this country and its government from all others ever created is this: This nation was founded on the concept that all rights flow from God to the people and the people lend some of them back to the government. (We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness)<br /><br />All other governments are founded on the premise that all rights flow from the government to the people.<br /><br />Therefore, this is one nation under God rather than one nation under a government.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hobbit.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Darn it Ralph. I wanted my stupid post to be just after JB's. Now, you've messed that up with a post that makes a whole lot of sense and should put this discussion to bed . . . Arrrrgh.

Ralph 123

Captain

Geez QC I thought you were calling me or Newt a Hobbit :)

txswinner

Banned

Note "Creator" not God, neither you or the criminal Newt get to define creator.<br /><br />I say it can be "Under God" can be removed as it is a pledge to the United States of America.<br /><br />I would not say the pledge "under Allah," and for some that is their creator who may be one in the same. Atheist (although I doubt any really exist) can be good American citizens too.<br /><br />Now how about my thread on Corpus Christi, what we gonna do!

Ralph 123

Captain

I would expect you to understand what he is saying Winner. Here let me help you:<br /><br />cre·a·tor n. <br />One that creates<br />Creator God. Used with the.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

My .02 cents....feel free to this apply to any post it fits. :D (Sung to the tune of Row, Row, Row yer boat) :D <br /><br />Troll, Troll, Troll iboats, with nothing better to add. <br /> Post a Troll or Troll a post it’s really all quite sad. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Now where's my flame retardant suit.

oddjob

Commander

I didnt know Newt was a criminal....thx TXwiner

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Limited-Time:<br /> My .02 cents....feel free to this apply to any post it fits. :D (Sung to the tune of Row, Row, Row yer boat) :D <br /><br />Troll, Troll, Troll iboats, with nothing better to add. <br /> Post a Troll or Troll a post it’s really all quite sad. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Now where's my flame retardant suit.
LMAO at L-T.<br />I like the song.... :D <br /><br />AK Chappy

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Newt was looking for votes. Politicians look for votes.<br /><br />I think Thomas Jefferson said it better: "God doesn't need your help."

oddjob

Commander

I forgot, what did he do besides get the dems in a fit?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I pledge allegiance<br />to the flag<br /><br />Michael Jackson is a f@g<br /><br />Pepsi-cola burned him up<br />now he's drinkin' 7up<br /><br />Anybody remember the rest?..... :confused: :D :p