Simple electrical question..couldn't find answer on google...

alphadog808

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys,
We're troubleshooting an electrical issue on our '93 Suzuki DT4 and I had a basic electrical question that I believe is relevant to any manual pull motor, so I figure I'd ask here.

I understand that motors need electricity to provide spark for combustion. That being said, do all pull motors have a flywheel and stator assembly to provide that power? I ask because I have been looking through some part manuals and I don't seem to see a flywheel and stator assembly. I do see a part that says, "discontinued" for my year, but if I look back at earlier models, it's the flywheel.

It's part number 1 in this link.
http://store.brownspoint.com/dt4/fig014-48898.asp

If my engine doesn't have a flywheel/stator assembly, how the heck would the engine continue to get electricity to provide spark?

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Simple electrical question..couldn't find answer on google...

Part NUmber one is the flywheel. If it dont have bat powered coil or magneto; it will have a flywheel/stator. All engines have a fly wheel. Thats what helps balance the crankshaft.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

It's got a magneto.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If you are going to fire your plugs you have to get the power "watts" from somewhere. If you have no battery, where are you going to get watts?

If you pass a magnet by/through a coil of wire the magnet introduces a pulse(s) of volt-amps (watts) in the coil of wire. The power for this came from the magnet and your effort in pulling the crank rope. These are called magneto's....have been in use since the beginning of the engine. The stator that OB people and your service manual refers to is nothing more than the coil(s) of wire with an iron core which generates the pulse(s) when the magnet(s) embedded in the flywheel swing by as you crank the engine, just like in your pull to crank lawn mower. No external circuit is required other than the triggering/high voltage pulse forming circuits [pulse pack(s)] attached to your plugs. Simple as that and simple and reliable it is.

Mark

alphadog808

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the info! Well, we're stuck right now as we need to get a puller to get the flywheel off to investigate further...we still suspect it's the flywheel, stator, or the ignition coil as we don't even get 1 volt when we try to manual start.

Thanks guys!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Thanks for all the info! Well, we're stuck right now as we need to get a puller to get the flywheel off to investigate further...we still suspect it's the flywheel, stator, or the ignition coil as we don't even get 1 volt when we try to manual start.

Thanks guys!

Before tearing things apart, inspect the "kill circuit" on the motor first. It is the wire that gets grounded out to short out the ignition system when you want to turn the motor off. Check the wire carefully and the stop switch.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As pointed out, a magneto is a fairly simple system. Not to much can seriously go wrong with them. Yes, check out the kill system first. If that is not grounding the system rendering the system inop, you will have to pull the flywheel
Only moving part you will find are the points. They could be either stuck open or worn closed. When the primary coil reaches saturation, E-GAP , the points open and cause a rapid collapse of the flux field in the primary winding creating a high voltage in the secondary windings, creating a spark. One other problem could be that the condenser ( capacitor) is shorted to ground. Should be a VERY high resistance between the wire coming out of the condenser to the metal case around it. Condenser is acting like a shock absorber to increase the life of the points by reducing arcing, pitting, burning. Once you think you have it fixed, test it by sticking a nail in the plug lead and have your wife hold it. Yank on the cord and if your wife gets real mad, you have it fixed. That test method only works a few times!
BTW, old high performance ignition systems used dual points. Was nothing more than fine tuning of when the field would collapse. Second set of points were slightly more than 180 degs. out from the first which increased the saturation time of the coil. Guess you can tell, stuck in the house today, only made it to 44. Guess its time to go to the tavern before I start talking about magneto impulse couplings. regards FRED

alphadog808

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys! We have already bypassed the killswitch, so we know it's not that...I'm still digesting what you guys have written, we'll be sure to put it to good use!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

On a '93 year model, the point function that Mr. Fred pointed out is probably accomplished by a solid state pulse pack as I mentioned. More persnickedy than points, but more reliable and zero maintenance if you don't abuse them....or the mfgr. did his job in mfgrng. a well designed, quality product.

On the wife on the end of the nail, I will bow out on that one. If I did that to mine, even after 48 years, she would deck me and not think twice about it.....and I wear the pants in the family......yeah right.

Mark