Simple drain-plug repair?

keith204

Cadet
I have a minor leak in the drain plug. I have messed with it plenty of times, using JB Weld.

The drain plug setup:
Circular plate, with 4 screws going into the fiberglass/wood
and a plug you screw into that plate.
everything's pretty standard

The threaded plug is fine. no leaks from it.
However, the screws don't hold the plate against the boat, because the screw holes have gotten worn out due to use.. the screws will screw in, sort of, but not tight.

So, I thought, well I'll rotate this about 1/8 turn, so I am screwing into new fiberglass/wood. Well, that had already been done. I can't rotate it again, because there is no solid place to screw it in anymore.

Apparently I need to somehow fill that hole and start over. Any ideas?

It's a 1967 mercruiser, with a Mark Twain body I think. The body is fiberglass, but for some reason the back of the boat seems sort of wood-ish.

Please help! :eek:

Robj

Lieutenant
Re: Simple drain-plug repair?

Use larger diameter screws and seal it up with 5200 or Sikaflex. If the fitting won't take larger screws then drill out the hole to make it larger.

Have a great day,

Rob.

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would remove the plate completely so you can see exactly what you are dealing with. Then you can check (from the inside) the condition of your transom. Take an ice pick and try to push it in close to where your garboard drain is. If need be drill a small hole through the inside fiberglass skin and SLIGHTLY into the wood and observe what comes out. Yellow wood chips=good black or brown watery goo = bad. Yes there is wood in your transom, what you want to check for is wood rot. Very common on a boat that old especially if the drain has not been sealed up well for a long time. All of the additional holes would concern me a little. were they filled with any type of sealer or just left open? If they were sealed up you might be fine but still might be worth poking around a little just to be sure. If everything checks out okay you could try the larger screws as suggested above or pick up some Marine tex(smallest jar). Take a countersink bit and chamfer all of the holes in a little bit. Then take some sandpaper and lightly sand the area. Then take some acetone on a q tip and clean out all of the holes very well. Mix marine tex as per instructions and press it into the holes until they are filled. Let cure then you can drill the correct size holes needed and reinstall drain plate ,seal up with 5200. Might be worth getting four new screws to reinstall with. Whatever you do don't use silicone it just wont hold up in that application. If you don't want to drill holes or try the ice pick thing I would at least take a small hammer or screwdriver handle and tap around the drain area from the outside and listen for different sounds. A pop indicates good solid wood, a thud usually indicates something is not right and further investigation may be in order. Just my .02

keith204

Cadet

WOWW I wasn't expecting to have such good responses. I was expecting "get some waterweld" or something that just helps a little. However, you guys have given me EXCELLENT ideas, and explained it very well. Thanks!

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would honestly check for rot, if there is rot your going to be back to square one very soon. it sounds like the person who rotated it probably didnt care about sealing and there is probably rot in the transom. i would definitly take above advice and do some investigation and then repair it the right way.