Siezed motor? possibly?

jjh242

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys im trying to restore a 88 marlin 5.0 cruiser. The boat was parked in 99 and never touch... The pep-cocks were left open. I pulled the plugs, they were clean no rust but i couldn't turn the motor over by hand... i was only using a 3/8 ratchet... what are the chances that this thing has seized from sitting so long?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Siezed motor? possibly?

Hey guys im trying to restore a 88 marlin 5.0 cruiser. The boat was parked in 99 and never touch... The pep-cocks were left open. I pulled the plugs, they were clean no rust but i couldn't turn the motor over by hand... i was only using a 3/8 ratchet... what are the chances that this thing has seized from sitting so long?

Ayuh,.... fair to meddlin',.... Welcome Aboard...

Is the drive been pulled yet,..??

tpenfield

Staff member

yup, best to pull the outdrive . . .

1/2" socket long handle with a 3' breaker bar. Plugs out and spray some fogging oil into the cylinders before attempting to turn the engine.

djmeaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yup, best to pull the outdrive . . .

1/2" socket long handle with a 3' breaker bar. Plugs out and spray some fogging oil into the cylinders before attempting to turn the engine.

Where is the best place to turn the crank on an engine that may be seized like this? I have a similar situation And didn't if it was best to try to attach to the harmonic balanced somehow or fabricate a splined shaft for the coupler, or tight the heck out the alternator belt and use the nut on the alternator shaft.

tpenfield

Staff member

Where is the best place to turn the crank on an engine that may be seized like this? I have a similar situation And didn't if it was best to try to attach to the harmonic balanced somehow or fabricate a splined shaft for the coupler, or tight the heck out the alternator belt and use the nut on the alternator shaft.

Turning in the direction of normal rotation at the Harmonoic Balancer is probably the best way to go . . .

jjh242

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys thanks for the responses... The drive has not been pulled yet i was hoping to get her to turn over prior to taking the motor out. Now my question is motors that sit usually seize over time from rust right? My plugs were clean im hoping this is not the case. Well im off to try the breaker bar and 1/2 ratchet.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

to OP removing the drive eliminates that as the potential lock up, so once the outdrive is removed then try to turn the engine over again with the correct size breaker bar if it turns free you know the problem is in the outdrive and not the engine. The engine will NOT turn over if there is a lockup inside the outdrive, hate to see you pull the engine for an outdrive issue.

Bondo

Staff member

Hey guys thanks for the responses... The drive has not been pulled yet i was hoping to get her to turn over prior to taking the motor out. Now my question is motors that sit usually seize over time from rust right? My plugs were clean im hoping this is not the case. Well im off to try the breaker bar and 1/2 ratchet.

to OP removing the drive eliminates that as the potential lock up, so once the outdrive is removed then try to turn the engine over again with the correct size breaker bar if it turns free you know the problem is in the outdrive and not the engine. The engine will NOT turn over if there is a lockup inside the outdrive, hate to see you pull the engine for an outdrive issue.

Ayuh,.... Ditto Utahboatnut,... Pullin' the drive, is step #1, to get the motor out, anyways....

There's only 8 nuts standin' 'tween you, 'n knowin' whether ya got a motor problem, or a drive problem...

jjh242

Seaman Apprentice

Well i was able to get the motor to turn over by hand after 13 years of sitting. There was no issue the the drive. I poured some oil in the cylinders and turned it over by hand a bit to lube the cylinders... I then decided to try and turn it over by battery. Doing this i found that my ignition switch is going bad and that the starter (i think is bad) I pulled the starter... the outside is rusted however the bendix itself did nto have much rust. When i hooked the starter up to the battery it spun but not very fast. Does that mean the starter may be shot? Thanks for the the info guys.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Just take your starter to Advance/O'Reilly/Autozone and get them to do a free starter test. There's a chance it's got problems.

Marine starters are pretty expensive. A good independent electric shop can rebuild virtually any starter for less money. An AC/Delco automobile starter sometimes will fit certain Mercruiser engines, but they're not to be used.

jjh242

Seaman Apprentice

Yea ill be making a trip to Autozone in the morning.I was looking on ebay and found starters for 60 -80 dollars. Too good to be true?

jjh242

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys. So i went to autozone... and it passed the test. The Starter spins fine when power is applied to it, however when run through the solenoid the Bendix would shoot out but the starter would not crank. I ended up buying a new solenoid. I put everything back together and i get the same clunk I tried jumping the slave solenoid and i still get a clunk. Im lost. My boat hates me someone please shed some light on the situation.

20 mInutes after i posted this i realized that the battery was dead.... Thanks for all the help guys hope this bad boy cranks once the battery is charged

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

check and clean all the connections from the battery to starter as well as the ground. scotchbright is your friend.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

20 mInutes after i posted this i realized that the battery was dead.... Thanks for all the help guys hope this bad boy cranks once the battery is charged

If after charging, it still doesn't work, then pull the battery and take it in to get tested as well. The battery may be junk - not able to hold a charge.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Hey guys. So i went to autozone... and it passed the test. The Starter spins fine when power is applied to it, however when run through the solenoid the Bendix would shoot out but the starter would not crank. I ended up buying a new solenoid. I put everything back together and i get the same clunk I tried jumping the slave solenoid and i still get a clunk. Im lost. My boat hates me someone please shed some light on the situation.

The solenoid you purchased didn't happen to be an Autozone special, did it?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the battery sat for nine years without ever being charged, trust me -- it is junk.

jjh242

Seaman Apprentice

The solenoid you purchased didn't happen to be an Autozone special, did it?

No i got a marine one from Napa... well i put the battery in and still "Clunk"... The battery is about two years old i had it in my garage i charged it on and off every couple weeks i doubt its bad. Volt meter shows its a 12v battery still. Now i am stumped. I want to say the starter is crap but i saw the darn thing spinning in autozone. Any idea what else it could be?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The battery can show 12v and still not hold a charge or sustain a load. Same thing with your starter - it may spin freely on the bench and be worn enough to be in a bind when engaged. Not saying that either one is necessarily the problem... just saying that either one COULD still be the problem.