Sierra Upper mounts

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
Does Anyone have experience with the Sierra Upper mounts part number 18-2144 ? are these rubber mounts or solid ....

Thanks in advance Mark

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I used them in my Merc V6. The originals had an aluminum band around the middle. The Sierra mounts are all rubber, but fit perfectly.

I had trouble finding them. They seemed to be in short supply. Replacement Merc OEM mounts were twice the price or more.

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
I used them in my Merc V6. The originals had an aluminum band around the middle. The Sierra mounts are all rubber, but fit perfectly.

I had trouble finding them. They seemed to be in short supply. Replacement Merc OEM mounts were twice the price or more.
Great I wanted to be sure they where rubber because I really didn't want a solid mount due to vibration

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
Ok so I ordered new Sierra mounts from ebay ... (that's the only place I could find them) got one of them in today and it was not rubber it looks to be some kind of plastic that was made with a lathe did I get sold a knock off ?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
My Sierra mounts were solid rubber. They took some searching on the internet to find them. It looked like e-Bay and Amazon only had 1 between them. I found them at some less popular website.

If yours are solid vinyl, they might be OK.

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
My Sierra mounts were solid rubber. They took some searching on the internet to find them. It looked like e-Bay and Amazon only had 1 between them. I found them at some less popular website.

If yours are solid vinyl, they might be OK.
Yes I had to order from 2 different sellers as well the 1 I got yesterday was solid plastic so i reached out to the other seller and he said the 1 he shipped me is solid rubber I'm worried that the plastic 1 will cause a vibration in the transom which will effect my image on my side scan which is an issue i am fighting with my boat with the i/o mercruiser engine... so i dont think i want a solid mount that is why I didn't use the solid aluminium mount that Bob makes ...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I actually had the opposite fear. The OEM has aluminum bands and insert, that the Sierra did not. I was afraid the rubber only mount would be weak.

So far my fears are unfounded. The rubber only mount may not last the 25 years that the OEM mount did, but that's OK. Actually the OEM mount did not fail. I needed to replace the steering arm+shaft, and could not get the mounting bolts out of the mount due to corrosion, so I had to cut them. I was able to reuse the lower mounts.

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
So I received the second mount today and it is a composite/plastic mount also so Im guessing that is the way its supposed to be...