Side Scan Transducer Placement

JOHN_T_65202

Seaman Apprentice
I need some advice on an idea I had. I have tried mounting my All-In-One Transducer on the Bow of my 19ft Pontoon, it comes out of the water when moving or sends up a rooster tail over the front deck depending on the height i set it at. I have tried mounting it on the Stern on the Pontoon bracket, and now I am 19 ft away from the true Bow Depth of my toons.
My idea was to mount a bracket somewhere forward of the midway point on one of my toons where the transducer would be in the water whether on plane or trolling without creating a Rooster Tail problem? Anyone have any thoughts?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What is your primary use of the information from the transducer (e.g., fishing, avoiding obstacles, etc.)?

JOHN_T_65202

Seaman Apprentice
I would say avoiding obstacles is a priority where we fish at Mark Twain Lake in Mo. A lot of submerged timber, Shallow flats, etc.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have tried mounting my All-In-One Transducer on the Bow of my 19ft Pontoon, it comes out of the water when moving or sends up a rooster tail over the front deck depending on the height i set it at. I have tried mounting it on the Stern on the Pontoon bracket, and now I am 19 ft away from the true Bow Depth of my toons.

yes, mounting the transducer in the front will cause this. and yes, mounting the transducer in the back is 19 feet from the front

Anyone have any thoughts?

mount the transducer in the back, go boating. if your that shallow, by the time you would react you would have hit something anyway, including smashing the transducer. not to mention, the only place that is on the toon logs to mount a transducer is in the back.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree with Scott and that is why I asked the question. At 13 MPH and above, your boat will travel its own length in less than a second. So that extra 19 feet will not give you enough time to see something, react and stop. Put it in the usual place at the back where the log provides some protection from the rushing water.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What system are you dealing with? Many now have front viewing capabilities.

Mount the transducer on the rear line designed and get a Front Viewing transducer to see in front of you.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had my transducer on the bow of my pontoon for 5 years. It worked great up to about 10 mph. One night i was putting along up river and hit a stick that bent the pole and broke the mounting system. Now its on the back and it works fine. In an ideal world i would love to have both for those times when checking out new waters at a slow putt. I believe its better than driving by brail.