Side Mounted Electric Trolling Motor

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello Y'all

I have a 12 ft Aluminum Boat with a 9.9 Merc as the main power but I want to use only the Electric trolling Motor for fishing purposes.

At the moment (please submit your Ideas ) I cant think of a way to have both motors Transom Mounted because the transom cutout is not wide enough.

My Question.............Has anybody here heard seen or had experience having the Electric Trolling Motor mounted on a custom side mount about 2 feet from Transom toward the bow hanging off the side.

Has anyone heard of or done this?? Does it work?? I realize being driven off one side would make it pull to the other side but can that be compensated by steering??

Please let me know if this is wishful thinking.

Thanks

George

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Side Mounted Electric Trolling Motor

It would help to know what boat you have. How tall is the transom in the cutout, and how tall is it next to it?

I assume you have a 30" shaft trolling motor and it's possibly too short. A 30" should work on a 15 or 20" transom.

On some boats you can just clamp the trolling motor to the side of the boat, no bracket is needed. I did this on one years ago, it wasn't great, but it worked.

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The boat have is an old Coleman 12 ft 45 inches oarlock to oar lock 42 INCHES give or take at the stern (a light 12 footer but very well built and no leaks. Transom is 15 inches.Motor 30 inch shaft and definitely long enough.

I did this on one years ago, it wasn't great, but it worked.

I guess that answers my question. The reason I ask is that reference is always made to either transom or bow mount.....never side mount.

Or did I miss something?? Is there a place that sells accessories for side mount?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... To be honest,... it sounds like ya don't have enough boat to have 2 motors,...

'n many electric trollin' motors rotate 360? in it's mount,...
So,... clamp it to the side of the boat, 'n point it in the direction ya wanta go,...

I used to do that on a canoe,... it works, but ya go sideways, so I added dagger boards,...

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So,... clamp it to the side of the boat, 'n point it in the direction ya wanta go,...

:D...........Duhhh......Why do I make it so complicated?? Thanks.....I love the answer

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:D...........Duhhh......Why do I make it so complicated?? Thanks.....I love the answer

Just for the General Enlightenment of the forum here.............Bondo has a great Idea. I tried it and ya it works great. Prolem.....Too much flex on the side of the boat when done that way.

Solution...........Custom Side Mount Bracket. I think I know how Im gonna do it. When its done I will post a picture if you like.

Bondo

Staff member

Just for the General Enlightenment of the forum here.............Bondo has a great Idea. I tried it and ya it works great. Prolem.....Too much flex on the side of the boat when done that way.

Solution...........Custom Side Mount Bracket. I think I know how Im gonna do it. When its done I will post a picture if you like.

Ayuh,... On my ole canoe, it took a piece of 2x lumber on the inside of the gunnel, 'n a piece of 3/8" plywood on the outside of the gunnel to get a proper clampin' area,...

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

I've done this on a canoe and it worked fine on one, horrible on another. You have to keep the motor as close to the side as possible and as far back also helps. If you put it in the middle of the boat, out a foot or so you are going to go nuts trying to steer it and will need rudder, or daggerboards. Maybe try clamping it to the side of the boat like Bondo said and wedge a 2x4 inside to stiffen the boat side.

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Maybe try clamping it to the side of the boat like Bondo said and wedge a 2x4 inside to stiffen the boat side.

Sounds good. Whatever system ends up working for me it will be as close to the side and as close to stern as possible.

Ya....I can see the point about steering and distance from side of boat.

And I just love the saying.............
Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Reminds me of a Friend of mine who used to say............
Lets do something even if its wrong
:D

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A little Brainwave regarding steering issue ......distance from boat. It goes without saying that even as close to the boat and as close to the stern as possible 9which will be the case) will still result in a somewhat compromise simply by the fact it is on the side.

What if I leave the 9.9 leg in the water and position the rudder on that to counteract the Electric on the side?? Seems to me the strain of steering the Electric would be greatly reduced. Hmmm