Showoff..... Inverter Box

ndemge

Commander
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 15, 2002
Messages
2,644
Built this this week....<br /><br />A few weeks ago, went camping and brought along a deep cycle, inverter, and charger. Camp site didn't have electric, used it to run a fan on the baby while it was really hot. <br /><br />A friend of mine really liked the idea of a fan in his tent and asked what it would take... so decided to make this:<br /><br />Contains:<br />90 ah AGM Deepcycle<br />15 amp rv charger<br />300 watt AC Inverter<br /><br />You plug it in to charge with a standard PC power cable, so no wires stick out.<br /><br />Amp meter in series, with a volt meter on a momentary switch.<br /><br />12 volt exhaust fan to cool inverter and charger, holes covered with speaker grills.<br /><br />If I build another one, I'll pay someone to cover it, I'm not very good an aphulstry.<br /><br />
inverterboxdone9gj.jpg
 

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Sep 14, 2003
Messages
1,695
Re: Showoff..... Inverter Box

Nice. Next one should have all terrain wheels and a pull handle... :)
 

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Oct 28, 2003
Messages
354
Re: Showoff..... Inverter Box

Being lazy and not wanting to do the calculations, what type/size fan and about how long will this contraption power it before it needs a recharge?<br /><br />Thanks! Good job by the way.
 

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Joined
May 19, 2001
Messages
26,119
Re: Showoff..... Inverter Box

Do I sense a new power supply for a multiple firing device for the fireworks..... I can visualize more multiple uses.<br /><br />Bob
 

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Oct 8, 2003
Messages
9,334
Re: Showoff..... Inverter Box

Very nice unit. Pretty neat that you thought of it and made it. Most people stop after the thought part. ;)
 

ndemge

Commander
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 15, 2002
Messages
2,644
Re: Showoff..... Inverter Box

Stiff.... After moving it around, yes, it needs some help on the portability side, all good if you have 2 poeple.<br /><br />BradE...We had a 12" ossolating fan when we went camping, pretty much got 2 full nights out of it with a strand of xmas lights on for a little while while getting the kids to bed.<br /><br />Mark.... have had enough projects that had the concept, but just not enough time to start and finish. Total in this thing is about 5 hours.
 

ndemge

Commander
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 15, 2002
Messages
2,644
Re: Showoff..... Inverter Box

The wires...<br /><br />Look! Crimped and solder in the same project! :) <br /><br />
wired6uk.jpg
 

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
May 19, 2003
Messages
233
Re: Showoff..... Inverter Box

I had a simular idea but never did anything with it. I was going to add an inverter to my jump-n-carry. The jump-n-carry had the battery and the charger, just not the inverter.<br /><br />I would have been a 17aH battery, so I don't think it would have had the same runtime as yours.<br /><br />Nice unit.
 

ZmOz

Captain
Joined
Aug 13, 2003
Messages
3,949
Re: Showoff..... Inverter Box

Here's one of mine:<br />
batterybox.jpg
<br />I have an 800 watt power inverter that hooks onto the side with a voltage gauge. Inside is a 40AH Hakwer battery that's happy with 100% discharges. The posts on top let me hook up a set of jumper cables...the battery has 1200 cranking amps. I've also made many smaller ones...since small SLA batteries are so cheap.
 

ndemge

Commander
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 15, 2002
Messages
2,644
Re: Showoff..... Inverter Box

Zmoz... That's one thing I completely forgot, was a 12volt socket.... remmebered it after I finished with the aphulstry.
 
Top