Should water be ejecting?

I'm working on my NSF 15C 2009, NISSAN. Does anyone knows if this motor has to warm up before the water ejects out of the small tube? I don't want to replace the impeller if it isnt bad?

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Water should definitely 'eject' when the engine is running. It either bypasses the thermostat or goes through the engine. On any "new to you" engine you should ALWAYS remove and inspect the impeller, and likely replace unless it's in perfect condition, otherwise you're just setting yourself up for a ruined trip on the water. Sometimes impellers can last years, but it just takes ONE TIME for a good impeller to run dry and then it's ruined forever.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
That's a salt or fresh water use motor ? Once the new impeller is installed and if motor doesn't want to pee, get a stiff wire, plastic cannula and poke it as deep as possible several times in-out the peeing port with motor running at fast idle or bit higher.

Happy Boating

I will get the one I ordered locally today at 9am. Also I'll get a new thermostat. I loosened the 4 bolts that hold the lower unit and it dropped about 2 to 3 inches and then seems hung up. I didn't want to force it. Shouldn't it just lower down all the way until the shaft is clear?

dwco5051

Commander
Shift shaft uncoupled? Edit: What MattFL said, I was still typing when he answered.

pvanv

Admiral
And always do a complete water pump kit; not just the impeller.

I did not disconnect the shift shaft. Man I wish I had a service manual. Anyway, Is that disconnected down in the lower unit? Or, I see a connection with two pins through it on a 1/4 or bigger shaft that's exposed coming from the top down into the lower unit. I guess I could move the shift lever and see if that shaft moves.

I did not disconnect the shift shaft. Man I wish I had a service manual. Anyway, Is that disconnected down in the lower unit? Or, I see a connection with two pins through it on a 1/4 or bigger shaft that's exposed coming from the top down into the lower unit. I guess I could move the shift lever and see if that shaft moves.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you move the shift lever forward/reverse the shaft will move accordingly up or down. Need to remove the upper pin with something pointy while slightly banging the other side with something heavy like a hammer. Now can fully drop the leg. When installing the new thermostat in report the condition of the thermostat and housing if salted, crusted, scaled ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Forgot to mention that before the new impeller or complete water pump kit is installed remove both lower leg's water intake screens and clean each sides of them, clean the screen's cavity and poke up down a small diam wooden sushi stick through the upper water orifice until it comes unrestricted seen out the screen's cavity.

Lower Leg's Water Passage.JPG

Everybody overlooks this hidden water passage, just change impeller or water pump kit, thermo and voila. Could be already with reduced diameter due to crap, filth, marine growth, etc already built there, If impeccable cleaned the impeller will suck and pump more water towards the crankcase. If the motor has not built already too much salt crusts, scale, crap whatever in the entire crankcase's water passages said motor will cool much better and pee strong as a reloaded teenager guaranteed.

Happy Boating