Should Ken move to Thailand

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
I have a chance to work and live in Thailand again.<br /><br />The positives are that it will greatly help my financial situation. Right now, we dont have much free money to do the things we like to do.<br />I have lived there before, so no culture shock for me. My wife is Thai so she will be happy living there.<br /><br /><br />The negatives are that I will be away from my family, hobbies, and interests. Kids (2 and 8 yrs) will be in new international schools. Kids will not be close to my family. I doubt my family will come to visit.<br /><br />Both places I would rank equivalent to safety, living expenses, things to do, etc.<br /><br />What would you do? The money which will improve my lifstyle when I move back in 2-4 years, or the stay with the current life in the USA with limited funds.<br /><br />Ken

KennyKenCan

Commander
Re: Should Ken move to Thailand

Its basically up to you and your little lady KIZ.<br /><br />If you feel that it is in the best intersts of your family, then do it!<br /><br />If not, don't.<br /><br />Sounds like an opertunity, and an opertunity missed is...<br /><br />well, its something, I don't know what, but its something!<br /><br />If it were me, I'd go.

aspeck

Staff member

Ken, only YOU can answer that - well you and the MRS. I am sure she had to go through the same thought process to be with you in the USA.<br /><br />Will the kids be close to HER family? Will that benefit them? Some of the International schools are very good.<br /><br />What does your wife think? What about your 8 year old - are they ready for an adventure?<br /><br />With internet communications, the distance isn't much more than being in a different town, and kids are pretty resillient.<br /><br />So, it really comes down to the feelings of you and your wife. What will be best for the two of you. Will the move help your relationship? Will he added $ help? Weigh the costs with the benefits, then go with your gut. Others will never understand your situation and will always be telling you to go or stay, but they are not the ones that have to bear the burdens and reap the results.<br /><br />Ken, what do you want to do?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

KKC, I think you are correct. Its been miserable living like like paupers to a pawn the last 6 months. No end in sight.<br /><br />Ken

KaGee

Admiral

Ken, <br /><br />Only you know what's the best for you and yours.<br />I voted yes, it's a great opportunity. Especially for the kids. It's only for 4 years right?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

In the office, oilfield.<br /><br />One other negative is the customer they want us to go after was a bunch of (*&)(^*)&^) last time I was there.<br /><br />When last living there, I really missed my hobbies. Working on cars, and hunting. Plenty of fishing there, so that is no worry.<br /><br />Probably gonna break my parents heart, but I gotta live for me, not them.<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Dadgum, am I that hated around here? Trying to get rid of me???<br /><br /> :D :D :D <br /><br />Ken

SoulWinner

Commander

KIZ,<br /><br />Here is my take on the sitch. I would to go to Tailand, but I can't afford to, can't leave the dogs, can't leave my Process Server biz. You have an opportunity to go over there, expose your kids to another culture, have a fine temporary adventure, and get paid for it. Dang dude! You still here??? Go for it!

SoulWinner

Commander

Oh, and yeah, what kind of work will you be doing??? Can I come too??

aspeck

Staff member

Hey, you can check out of the country, but you can't leave iBoats. I am proof of that!

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

I faced a similar situation once. Sage advice offered was to flip a coin (seems crazy I know). Only then will you be able to determine your true feelings on the offer. If it feels right after the toss, go for it. If it seems insurmountable, pass.<br /><br />Good luck.

LadyFish

Admiral

Big decision. A lot af adjustments especially for the kids and the grandparents. Then upon returning considering the age of your children, will they be able to adapt easily back into US schools, traditions, freinds, etc.<br /><br />The worst is for the grandparents especially if they are very close to your kids and visa versa. The kids will hardly remember the grandparents after 4 years. Grandparents are very important in a kids life. How is their health? Makes a big difference.<br /><br />It's a very difficult decision. I guess only you can decide if the race is worth the prize.<br /><br />Best of luck to you.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Ken I didn't even vote because I feel the responses above pretty much cover what my opinion is worth .. It's your life.. live it how you deem fit.<br /><br />To throw out my opinion as some kind of joke is the only thing I can do:<br /><br />Opportunity -- is it knocking? -- sounds like it!<br /><br />Sacrifice -- is it worth it? -- sounds like it!<br /><br />Just me tho Ken...

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> The worst is for the grandparents especially if they are very close to your kids and visa versa. The kids will hardly remember the grandparents after 4 years. Grandparents are very important in a kids life. How is their health? Makes a big difference.<br /><br />
I'd disagree to a point here ... 4yrs ain't that long of a time .. plus this is bigger then grandparents ..IMHO

phatmanmike

Captain

if you have the chance, why wouldnt you?!?!?<br /><br />they have iboats.com in thailand also, ya know, dont stay just cuz of us.<br /><br />heck if you dont go, can i take yer place?<br /><br />lets see:<br />1. you lived there before<br />2. your wife is thai<br />3. george bush is not the president of thailand<br />4. thay have kick azz food<br />5. whats your stinking problem, man!?!?!?!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Thanks all for the replies, I am going to explore it further.<br /><br />I am not even sure my current boss will let me go. We are down to very few people who have the experience I have. Its good to be in demand.<br /><br />Ken

eeboater

Commander

I was wondering... wasn't Thailand hit by the Tsunami? I seem to remember that name flying around for some reason. If so, is now the right time to be thinking about moving there?<br /><br />Sean