Should I stay or move? Serious question fellas....

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Should I stay or move? Serious question fellas....

Seattle had 90 straight days of rain a couple years ago, I have relatives up there and they are so depresses in the winter they cant stand themselves most of the time, sure it rains here on the coast, but not half as much as it does there. I grew up in Roseburg, I wouldnt live in Medford on a bet, not to mention being that close to Ashland. Its way too hot down there in that smog bowl. No breeze in the evening either to cool you down. I do not know what to tell you.. As far as what your kids will do when they grow up is pretty much up to them, they will go where they will go when they leave the nest. I sure would leave Medford though. Roseburg is a nice small town, they have a good Community College, and there High School offers good classes. I grew up outside of Roseburg towards Glide on the Umpqua Highway, I went to Glide High School, There are some nice places to live outside of Roseburg. I have to admit that there are not many high paying jobs there though. Ive learned that Money isnt everything and is ranking lower on the list every year. You do need some though. You have to do what you have to do, but I do not blame you for wanting to leave Medford though.

Homerr

Commander

Medford used to be a great place, but I don't know what happened.<br />Blame it on the California transplants... Liberals... who knows.<br /><br />That is the crisis I face. <br /><br />I heard of the rain up there, but if I had to choose from 90 to 100 degree weather and a dead-end job? I'd take the rain. My boat has a cover, so I'm set! LOL!<br /><br />Do I want to start over? Hell no. I am the LAST person on Earth that wants to start over, but I don't want my kids faced with this in the upcoming years. I feel like I'm sealing their fate if I stay here.<br /><br />I did one of those personality tests a few years ago during a supervisory training course. Funny how they find out who you really are. <br />It found that I was a person who relies on stability in their life. My personality doesn't like changes to much degree. Especially if it's a change that directly affects them.<br /><br />How true this test was to this day.<br /><br />I just don't know. For the first time in my life, I am faced with a situation that I have no clear solution for. <br /><br />Perhaps just selling this house will be a beginning. Maybe just getting out of this memory will help me decide my next move. <br />I've been in this house for the last 25+ years, and it's tough just letting it go to say the least about leaving the state.<br /><br />I really appreciate the support everyone. I try not to dwell on things, but anymore, I can't help it.<br />I use to think as myself as a perfect "Vulcan" (to borrow a Star Trek term.... don't laugh) <br />Being a guy, I didn't use to let things bother me, but lately I find myself insecure on some things and have a hard time making decisions. <br /><br />My family looks up to me, and there are days that I don't want to be the leader. Some days I want someone else to take the reigns for once.<br /><br />Like my Dad for example... I see where I got it from. The older he gets, the more he dwells and ponders on what you and I would consider the most insignificant things. Maybe I'm looking into my future.<br /><br /><br />H.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Homerr:<br /> but I don't want my kids faced with this in the upcoming years. I feel like I'm sealing their fate if I stay here.
Like I said before, Its admerable that you care so much for your kids, but the chances are they may even move to Cal. or Florida. You have no control over that. They can go to school anywhere they want from where you live right now, They may not even go on to college.<br /><br />I have nothing really against Medford other than the horrible heat in the summer. Oh, and the yellow Jackets are really bad especially if you go on a picknic somewhere out of town.

PW2

Commander

I would check the housing prices in Seattle (I am assuming your note that Spokane was near the coast was just a bit of a misstatement)<br /><br />You could find that the big raise you think you will get will be eaten up by the difference in the cost of living. Also, if you have to travel on Interstate 5 at rush hour, you will find the quality of life dramatically different than Medford.<br /><br />I really like the Seattle area, but it is an expensive place to live, and traffic jams on Interstate 5 are as bad as any anywhere. (Torontonians don't even know what a traffic jam is, no matter how much they whine)<br /><br />I'd be really careful if it is really the place that is making you unhappy, or if it is something else. Good Luck.

ebbtide176

Commander

if your wife really wants to move, and your kids aren't in high school & would die to break their bonds with their friends, i think you should do it. because if you don't you'll have to have therapy to overcome the gnawing desire from within for yrs :D <br /><br />you're young, believe it or not. you would really enjoy having a 'new' house to personalize - @ half as much as your wife would, and that is important as a team.<br /><br />you might want to do some vac time around the areas you're thinking of, get to know the place, put the thoughts in the kids minds of the offerings in that area- find the family entertainment, the family places, use it like a sales pitch. try to get everyone to look at the idea of moving in a positive way.<br /><br />pick up job listings & contacts, ck home prices, travel routes. <br /><br />along the way, as you really get involved in researching a place to live, you will experience the pros/cons of moving in your heart, i think. and it might feel more of a natural decision than what you're feeling now. good luck<br /><br />ps. check out the newest home pricing, and talk to realestate agents on avg value fluctuations in the areas, you will probably find that IF you bought a newer home, you could move out & sell for a nice profit within 3-4yrs if you got too homesick ;)

I am 48 and the house I moved into 3 years ago was the 39th time I have moved in my life. My Dad was in the military and then I was. The town I last moved to was the town I was born in. Pretty ironic. Spent the last 18 years in Southern California and had to escape the rat race. I and wife are glad we did. <br />My motto over the years is have fun no matter where you are at.<br />It works.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Homerr,<br /><br />No answers here but to say why not market yourself prior to moving so you have something waiting were you want to go. The internet is a good start but headhunters and friends in the industry you work can also provide good leads.<br /><br />I have lived in several states and personally I liked them all. California was a little strange but I was able to live in the mountains in Northern California in a little place called Grass Valley. Weird little place but I bet they would say the same about some cities in WI. I curse all that is life in Jan., Feb., and March. But that makes the summer that much more special, and Christmas in the snow, beautiful.<br /><br />No place is perfect but if you want to move, try and have something waiting for you. What I found is the people are what make a place great. You can deal with almost all weather conditions but feeling safe, loved, and happy could make even the trailer parks of NH a great place to live. I have never liked the metropolitan areas and try to live in up and coming areas in the 50-100,000 population area. Plenty to do, small enough to be comfortable. Whatever you do make sure that you have the complete buy in from your wife. If she isn't happy the whole thing could fall apart. (Voice of experience)<br /><br />Good luck with your decision.

tylerin

Commander

Homer, difficult question for any of us to answer, living in Cali and son of a Air force test pilot, I moved around my whole life. mostly from the Ohio area. What you have is something I could never have. A place you were born and raised in. I lived near Shasta for a few years and visited Medford on occasion. Its a beautiful town and a nice place to raise a family. Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side. Now as long as you have a computer, you always have your buddy's from iboats for support no matter where you go. Just gonna seem kind of odd you bichin about people from Cali moving into Spokane, or Seattle. ;) :D

Homerr

Commander

LOL!!<br /><br />It doesn't matter anymore. I'll gripe about them wherever I end up!<br /><br />Kinda like Ford vs. Chevy: An age-old argument.<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />H.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hey Hommer, wherever you move, make sure you have cable internet. :D <br /><br />Seriously, it's hard for someone else to advise what you should do. Everyone is driven by different things. <br /><br />When I was 42, I up and decided to move my family to the NW on a whim. I had a 4 mo old and a 3.5 y/o and was just tired of LA. I was born and raised there. It was paradise on earth as I grew up. It was the center of the universe. I just decided it was time to try something new. Wife was in agreement so we did it but without the kind of angst you are experiencing.<br /> <br />I did, however, HAVE A JOB LINED UP. It didn't last too long but was good enough to get me settled in. No matter the reasons for the move, it can be very disruptive to your life. Don't add to it by moving from something stable to something totally new and chaotic. This is not advice not to try something new. It isn't going to kill you if it doesn't work out. BUT do some do diligence before you leap. Give your move a good chance of success.<br /><br />You sound pretty emotional right now so I would back off and start doing some responsible planning.

18rabbit

Captain

Homerr - I suggest you and the miss’s spend some time talking about the environment you would like to live in and not about moving. Do you see yourselves living in the country or city or farm? Near water, lake, river, ocean? Snow? Hot, cold, rain? That kind of stuff. Don’t think in terms of where , that would be a decision to move. Instead think about what … what kind of environment. Then come back here and ask again for suggestions based on that environment. :)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hey Homerr, it sounds to me your biggest complaint is about the way the state is run and your second complaint is the weather.<br /><br />That is pretty much my thoughts about the state that I live in. Weather and Taxes stink at times, but it just takes awhile to adjust to the change.<br /><br />I feel the loss of revenue is due to Homeland security. Each and every town spends lots of money when the terroist threat level goes up. We end up paying the difference. Everything in Ohio related to the government has gone up from 50% to 100%.<br /><br />A report showed that 20% of all 20 and 30 year old residents are leaving Ohio. DUH? and the gov wonders why? <br /><br />My wife and I plan to move in about 5 years regardless to friends and family. It is our lives that we spend together. So our own happiness is what counts. I know it sounds selfish, but we just are wanting to plan ahead for our golden years. No snow tires, no road salt, no ice storms, no winter clothing, no high heating bills, and mainly the move will give us a longer spring, summer, and fall. A short winter sounds great to us.<br /><br />Just post some questions on what others pay. Like I did for the fishing license. It is the little plus's that add up.<br /><br />Good luck and look at your pros and cons...

18rabbit

Captain

Hey Mayfloat – regardless of being told what you want to hear by the media mouths, the big picture outlook for the US economy is not optimistic. Within the next two years you should have your seatbelt on. Analysts of global economy say we haven’t see it hit yet, still coming, and there is absolutely no way to stop it without resorting to piracy and stealing the queen’s gold on the high seas. :( <br /><br />Good news: it’s not like any one person is going down. We’re all in it together. I’m trying to figure out how to turn this into one giant party. Invitations to follow. :)

Link

Rear Admiral

Homerr<br />I'm not giving advice except to look at SEATTLE and visit first! What a POS Seattle is.. every homeless person is given a cell phone and where my fishing partner works in a "free clinic" (sp) they must give time to the homeless to sleep it off while they recharge their cell phones.<br /><br />Lubedude<br /> "Its a beautiful state. The coast line is one of the prettiest anywhere" <br />Shame on you! But I know you were just being polite and nice to everyone else, and that was thoughtful.<br />But lets face it the coast line in Oregon is the prettiest anywhere! :D <br /><br />Next month we are headed out to Seaside for a few days as we do every year for a amateur radio convention and we soo look forward to it.<br />Got all my kites packed and ready to go :) <br /><br />Homerr<br />Have you gone nuts man? SEATTLE?? <br />You know the "people who think they are everything to everyone" call the hundred miles around Portland "the PORTLAND AREA"<br /><br />Well Seattlelites refere to the rest of Washington as the SEATTLE AREA! At least you have it broken up into 3 cities as Lube said.<br /><br />Eastern WA has tried several times to break off and become their own state! For good reasons too!<br />To get elected as a polecat you only need to campaign in THREE counties! If you win these three counties the rest of the state doesnt matter. And they are on this side of the state.<br />There are thousands of places I would like to live in Oregon or Washington but in the Seattle area no way. Nice place to visit and a lot of things to do. <br /><br />I live 30 miles south of Seattle and its not a bad place to live. 7 differnt lakes within 15 minutes and salt water in three directions within 20 minutes. Thats why they call it Lakewood.<br /><br />But I can go 3 minutes and be in a gated community where Linda Evans and Yanni lived or 3 minutes in the other direction and be in a crack house! I'd take Boring Medford over this anyday.<br /><br />I dont like where I live either. The only reason we are still stay here is because we dont want to be far from my mother in law. When she goes, so do we. <br /><br />ACK! She is only 78.. could be around another 20 years! I'd be 71 and too old to leave and have a life of my own! :rolleyes: Guess I'd better get used to city life.<br />Luck to ya<br /><br />Link

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

You need to do some home work, drop the forum and do some research , medfor is 83 mile from the coast as the bird flies and spokane is 333 miles. <br /> my sister lives in olympia out on the nisqally for the last 25 years. retired military thing. ma bell offered me a job in seattle 20 years ago and i checked every town between olympia and seatle, SAME COST OF LIVING AS NJ. what was rural than as was nj has grown about the same. yuk,<br /> nj get more rain than wash, just not every day. the state bird is the yellow finch in both wash, and nj. they winter together in south america and some become western yellow in wash and some become eastern in jersey, rt 84 runs from portland or to the top of nj. nj and or are the only two states that dont allow self service gasoline. I live on 10 acres, dont have or need a police dept. and every thing is volunteer, nyc is 60 miles away, and many of my poor niebors commute to work there. after the 1st ten miles twd ny i consider it the DMZ. THATS WHAT EVERY THING NORTH OF OLYMPIA WOULD BE TO ME. <br />you dont mention your work life. that can be a big influence. <br /> Deleaware is most likely to be my retirement haven. tax frendly,non regresive tax struture. and good military presence. I retired military. and the chesepeak and delaware bays i suspect will take the rest of my life to boat on. <br /> yahoo nieborhood,caldwell realestate relocation web sites are good ground work to feel a area out.

Skinnywater

Commander

Homerr, from experience I'd move only because you have to, or want to.<br /> <br />Moving for health is a sound logical consideration. <br /> Moving for the adventure, lifestyle change or other motivations is highly recommended. Especially if you have the family fully behind you.<br /><br />Shoot, I'd move to Oregon, or Idaho or maybe a half dozen other states. Mainly for the adventure and fun of it. I yield to my less adventurous family though. <br />California/Oregon politics are only an annoyance. The mountains, rivers and outdoor activitys in Northern California/Oregon outweigh the negatives, for sure.<br /><br />The politics and costs of living is all relative. <br />The quality of life and the fun and beauty factors are the most important reasons to move (or stay)for me. The rest of the country doesn't have anything over this on Oregon or California.<br />Equal, close, or the same, but none have it over our states.