Should I stay clear of rebuilt engines?

myers368

Cadet
I'm looking to buy a Yamaha Waverunner, probably in the 2001 - 2005 range. I've never owned a PWC before. I know this is a broad question, but would you steer clear of any bike that has had an engine rebuilt or can they be just as good as one with no repairs?

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Should I stay clear of rebuilt engines?

Here are my thoughts on the matter.

First thing with any rebuild (car, truck boat etc) is do they have documentation, if they don't well....

With jet skis specifically, parts are a crap shoot, there are lots of shady people on ebay selling junk parts. A seller claiming a rebuild could run the gambit of a first timer using those parts in his garage to a Yamaha factory crate motor. SBT sells a lot of re-manufactured engines and has a no questions asked one year warranty.

A red flag to me is the ads that say "0 hours on rebuild", all that means is it hasn't been tested, the guy could have slapped it together last night. If the reason the engine blew was never addressed this new one is going to blow in no time.

If I was buying a 10+ year old two stroke jet ski I would assume it probably has been rebuilt and I would check the compression and if it's OK hope for the best.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

We lost an engine two years ago on my wife's yamaha SUV and had to have a rebuilt engine installed (oiling problem caused the failure). Our rebuilder used the SBT engine shipped in from Florida. Since it took several weeks to exchange the engines, I was not disappointed as it was the end of the season anyway. Next year the engine started missing and the back cylinder had lost compression. We took it back to the installer early in the season and a second rebuilt engine was obtained from SBT (at no cost) which ran strong for the remainder of the 2013 season. This will be the second full season for the new hardware so I have my fingers crossed.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

The early 2000s two stroke triple yamaha had a common problem with the oil line on the rear cylinder coming off. This may be your issue, I'd check into that.

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class

S B T has their issues My experience with them was on a seadoo 787 engine that lost a screw on the oil pump and seized up. As previously mentioned you have to find the reason for the failure or it will occur again . After finding the reason for the failure I did an exchange with them, fortunately for me I live relatively close so I drove it to them. In 3 months their engine hatched , I found it was a rave valve snagging a ring. this was their issue , so I was given another at no expense however you have to pull it disassemble a lot of it and then reverse the procedure, not to mention the time to break in the thing each time you change it. this engine lasted another 3 months, and here we go again same issue it snagged a ring. Went through the process again and 3 months later another ring snagged while idling in a no wake zone. That did it for me, I tore down their engine replaced the parts myself made sure the rave valves were cut to match the cylinder bore so they would not snag another ring and that engine ran forever with no issues. So it all boils down to how the engine is rebuilt There is no guarantee that a rebuilt engine is any better or worse than one that isn't. On two stroke engines many things can go wrong if you are new to the sport. Sucking up sand into the cooling system, overheating it in weeds or not inspecting the motor mounts, or running with no oil, running lean etc. Checking compression and checking end play on the rods is all important when buying a used ski, even a bad or worn out engine will run out of the water.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You should consider saving up enough money to buy a 4 stroke PWC. They're just so much more long lasting and don't cause nearly the problems as the old 2 strokes.

That said, I still have a running 1990 Sea Doo 2 stroke that's been a great machine. Its sister machine (bought at the same time) was a really bad boat. I have switched to a Waverunner VX Cruiser for my day to day riding, and it's never seen the shop in 3 seasons.

You just don't know how well used PWC's have been taken care of. And with $100 per hour labor, it's just not worth the risk to buy an old 2 stroke machine. If you don't have the money for a new PWC, they can be financed for a good monthly payment. Especially since Sea Doo's come up with their new $4999 model machine.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

Good advice on the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. A lot of shops won't even work on older two strokes anymore because there are so many issues and the last mechanic to touch the machine get's blamed for the next thing that goes wrong (even if it had nothing to do with previous repair).

With that said, all 3 of my jet skis are 2 strokes: one because I have a great mechanic 8 miles from my house that has every part in stock (without him I would not own those machines), and two I'm not into cruising on a big heavy couch.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I have a 2004 Waverunner that just had a rebuild (I lost a cylinder when the oil pump quit). New pistons, crank, gaskets, and carb rebuild. I don't think the ski has ever run this good. A lot depends on the shop or person doing the work and the quality of parts used. Visual inspection for broken/missing parts, leaks, and receipts for parts will be your best bet. Compression check as well.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

People are clueless when they buy a jetski, so they don't take care of them, ride them hard and put them away wet. So, a used 'ski is a crapshoot anyway.

When you hear of engine rebuilds, rarely do you hear of longevity. Figure a couple years at best and its crap again.

I personally would buy lots of things used, but not a 'ski. If I had to have one and HAD to buy used I'd look for late model one owner with service records. A rebuilt engine would not be acceptable to me.