Should I replace this ugly deformed float??

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got the carb offf and am in the process of cleaning and installing a carb kit. Unfortunately my kit dont have a float. Click on the pic below and look at it and tell me what you think about it, please, and should I replace it??? If I need to replace it, should I order one here or run up to the auto zone or somewhere like that and get one. This one looks cork and is grossly ugly, nasty and actually deformed.... Thanks as always, Fishermanms

float 1.jpg

float 2.jpg

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Should I replace this ugly deformed float??

I would replace it. Years ago my father used to coat cork floats with a liquid that was used to coat coils on transformers and coil windings, I can't remember the name of the stuff. I do remember the cork had to be absolutely dry.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

You can recoat a cork float, assuming you have a whole float to start with. Yes, by all means replace it. But I doubt you'll find one at auto zone. Maybe NAPA.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

this site sells carb kits,floats are usually an additional part as they dont always need changing,however yours is an older cork and they are now made from plastic,if all else fails call an omc dealer

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank yall for the input.... I found one at another site and got it ordered...
Fishermanms

offshore100

Petty Officer 3rd Class

good move. varnish flakes off the old cork floats. New plastic is MUCH better.

wbeaton

Commander

Where is it deformed? Looks fine to me. I would have dried it and gave it a coat of varnish. Of course, I have a bunch of motors so I try to save every penny I can when it comes to maintenance.

bigbob_FTW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where is it deformed? Looks fine to me. I would have dried it and gave it a coat of varnish. Of course, I have a bunch of motors so I try to save every penny I can when it comes to maintenance.

Nothing at all wrong with that! I do the same every chance i get. :D

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is deformed to the left of the assembly, where the cork had collasped at one time or another somehow. It is dry but looks wet because of what looks like varnish painted on it some time ago but other than the slight collasped area its ok. It may work anyway but I went ahead and ordered another. Here is a pic below :

deformedfloat.jpg

offshore100

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I'm a cheap b%rstard too, but also lazy; actually lazier than cheap, which is saying a lot.:)
For the edification of all us cheap, lazy b#rstards out there, just how much does a new plastic float cost? (I''m too lazy to look it up;)).

ps, I think the "deformation" is actually designed in to the float, to compensate for bowl anomalies. You'll find the plastic float similarly "deformed."

Good luck!

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cheap...lazy...Ba%turd,, Well I guess I could drive to denver and pick it up and drive back to Mississippi cheaper than FedX will deliver it but Im just too d lazy to drive there and back. The float/Assembly itself is $8.65.....
Fishermanms:D

wbeaton

Commander

Under $10. But so is a can of varnish that will give new life to hundreds of floats.

However, there is nothing wrong with changing floats either. Better in the long run I guess.

offshore100

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I well and truly think you made the right choice, fishermanms, for peace of mind if for nothing else.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just remembered the name of the stuff dad used to coat the floats, Gliptol Enamel. I think.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Where is it deformed? Looks fine to me. .

Me too, thats what they are SUPPOSED to look like, on the old floats....
People blame the float, but the needle and seat will park ya WAY before...

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Change the float! It's not worth the potential problems and future pulling the carb again!