Should i replace the pickup coil?

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello again! Looks like I may be needing to replace my intake gasket. Sooo I will have the distributor out. I was thinking of replacing the pickup coil while I have it out. its the last thing that has NOT been replaced in the ignition. Just wondering thoughts on replacing it. It is 21 years old. Its not that hard to do especially when i already have the distributor out? Anyone use the aftermarket brand for this? Sierra is under $30 and Volvo Penta at least twice that. Is this a good proactive maintenance idea?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I might go ahead and replace it while you are in the area, being 21 yrs old. My experience with aftermarket parts are hit or miss. Sometimes they work just fine , but I have had some stuff that did not. Might be worth a try.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If the OE was made in USA and aftermarket made in China I’d leave it be! Unless you have a strong suspicion that it’s causing a problem. Intake gaskets keep in mind there is a big difference in torque specs between the pre Vortec (12 bolts) and Vortec (8 bolts).

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I guess my question should have been is there a difference in Volvo Penta's part and Sierra? Or do they both come outa the same China factory with a different label on it? I'm just worried that 21 years and nearly 700 hours has put a toll on it. Everything else has been replaced already.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That's the $64,000 question, but no one really knows!
I think that what Volvo was using was the Prestolite BID electronic system if I'm not mistaken.