Should I replace the bearings???

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My old trailer for my 14' John boat is about 40 years old. Ive had it for 30 years and never replaced the bearings . I recently refurbished it, (painted it, new lights, new rims and tires, safty chain, tougue, etc.) But I did not replace the bearings, I just shot a bundle of marine grease in there. I have made about six 20 mile round trips with it and I feel of the hubs when I get to the lake.. not red hot but a little warm. And I notice it has slung out some of the grease on the inside onto the rims. Jacked up both sides and there is about what seems to be about 1/16" play on both sides. The wheels will spin around pretty smooth but just a little rough sounding but not much. Should I go ahead and replace them? What all will I need to purchase? I noticed walmart has bearings and I know I can get them at an auto store. How will I know what size to get? Being that these are so old... should I expect them to be hard to fine??? Thanks for some good advice.... Fishermanms

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Should I replace the bearings???

Let's see: Your hubs are hot, there's play in the bearings, the seals are leaking, and they sound rough when you spin the wheel? I'd say that it's long past time to replace the bearings.

Without any more info, though, it's impossible to tell you what bearings you have. They'll have numbers on them, though, and that will be enough to get replacements. The seals, which is gone, should have numbers on them, too.

If you have to ask about a set of bearings, then you should replace them, before your trailer throws a wheel and your boat grinds itself to pieces on the highway.

Bondo

Staff member

I just shot a bundle of marine grease in there.

That's not much of a Servicing in 30 Years........

Bearings should be Removed,+ Cleaned,+ Repacked every couple of years......
Until you Do,.....
The rest of your questions are Unanswerable............
And I notice it has slung out some of the grease on the inside onto the rims.

I imagine that's the 30 year old Seals that are probably Junk.......

The Old Seals,+ Bearings will have #s on them,.....
Take them to a Parts House,+ get Replacements.........

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep ... Im an idiot for not doing that. It has been sitting up for about ten years. I been greasing them.... when I was using it, but not in ten years. And that boat was just refurbished as well and I just purchased a 74 Johnson 6hp thats mounted on the transom that I just finished rebuilding and spent about 200 in parts. So i guess I will jack it up remove the wheels and how do I do it from there??? I have never replaced bearings or seals on a trailer or on anything. Could someone share me some details on how to do it...Please....Thanks

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey... I found a website that has pics and step by step instructions...Looks pretty simple... Thanks.. just wanted to let everybody know before they wasted their time with me.... But I appreciate the advice to do it....

CATransplant

Admiral

One other thought: Just take the assembled hubs to an auto parts place that has a machine shop and tell them to install new bearings and seals. They won't charge all that much for the labor, and your hands will stay clean. That's especially true if the bearing races are pitted.

For the shop, it's a nothing job. For you in your garage, it's a major pain.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just to throw my 2 cents in. Every two years I pull the hubs off and replace the seals whether they need it or not. They are just a couple bucks each anyway. This accomplishes two things, keeps good seals in because if they fail the bearings won't be far behind from the water getting in. And it allows me to inspect the bearings and spindles.
Most Auto part stores or Tractor Supply"s have a good selection of bearings. The only trouble I have had is I bought a small 70's trailer that had 3/4" spindles. The spindles were shot and could not find replacement spindles in that size. I just went with the next size up the 1" spindles. Which was probaly not a bad improvement anyway.
Oh by the way changing bearings is simple but messy. On a single axle once you have done it a couple of times you can do it in less than an hour. When I do mine I take simple green and clean the spindles and hubs with it. It works really good and is nontoxic.

shipoffools

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bearings and seals are too cheap and easy to replace, and the aggravation of having them fail is too great, not to replace them every once in awhile!

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

fishermanms, what was that how-to website?

We've had our boat & trailer about 5 years. Normally the trailer would make a 1/2 mile trip to the launch point, once Memorial Day and once Labor Day. We've recently started trailering it more, so probably should replace / repack bearing and seals, but I don't know how. That web site (and / or other instructions / descriptions) would be wonderful.

Thanks

_brad_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good heavens yes; replace them! :eek:

srothfuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

fishermanms, what was that how-to website?
Thanks

arboldt, Here is a website that shows step by step instructions along with a video on what is involved to repack your bearings. It's not the best (home made) but it'll give you a greater understanding of how to repack / redo your trailer bearings which in turn will save you headaches and frustration if it's your first time through.

Follow link here => Courtesy of SailingTexas

Good luck