Should I pull the drain plug and let it sink?

matthewwatts

Cadet
Seriously. I'm getting frustrated. Just bought a 1988 Forester with a 3.0L Mercruiser inboard with Alpha drive. When I bought it it started, ran, etc. Took it to the lake and it wouldn't start. Finally got it back on the trailer and took it to a boat mechanic (certified Mercruiser). He replaced the starter, then the head gasket, the fuel pump, did a tune up with all new plugs, plug wires and distributor cap. $1,000 after he tells me that maybe it wasn't the fuel pump causing the boat to run rough... it's the carb and needs a rebuild to the tune of $300+. I said "No thank you. Glad I could pay for part of your daughter's semester of school." I got it out on the lake today, fire right up, had a little bit of issue idling but once I got it out in open water I ran the absolute soup out of that boat. It ran like a champ. No sputter, nothing. I pulled into my slip at the marina to run in and get something and turned the boat off. Came back and the damn thing wouldn't turn over to save its life. Just cranks and cranks and cranks. Every now and then it'll hit and turn over a few times then die.

What is my next course? Do I suck it up and have the carb rebuilt? Is that my issue? I'd think it would be since that's the only thing left on the motor than didn't get replaced. Also, he said my shift cable was tight.... seems like that'd be a good thing, but he said otherwise.

Let me know what I need to do. I have to say.... the 30 minutes that baby ran was some of the best 30 minutes of my life....

wrench 3

Commander
Did you push/pull the throttle only control and open the throttle to see if it would start. At the time when it won't start (not a day later) pull a spark plug and see if it has gas on it. If it does, check to see if you have spark. If it doesn't have gas on it, remove the flame arrester (air filter), have someone pump the throttle and see if gas is squirting into the carburetor bore. If it's not, you need to find out if you are getting fuel to the carburetor.
Usually a non start when hot is either over fueling or loosing spark from a hot soak on the ignition parts.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you need to,rebuild it yourself.Alpheus has a great build on youtube.

Last edited:

matthewwatts

Cadet
Because I totally think you guys can read my mind, I failed to mention that I came back to the boat about two hours later to try again and still was getting the same problem. When I first started it, the boat fired right up and actually fired up several times. It would just run a really rough idle. Or die completely at idle.

tpenfield

Staff member
Let's see . . $1,000 for 30 minutes of shear boating joy . . . That is about $0.50 per second :eek: . . . I am wondering why the mechanic sought to replace the head gasket as that can add up quick.

To me sounds more electrical than fuel. But it is time to roll up your sleeves and go through the basics. fuel, compression ignition . . . you would be missing one of those 3 intermittently. Check all ignition wiring starting with the ignition switch on back to the engine.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If the lower shift cable is stiff,it will activate the shift plate cut out switch. If it's real stiff the switch will stay activated,and it will not start,or try to cut out making it stumble like that. Try jiggling the shift plate next time it don't start. If it works,that's the problem.

matthewwatts

Cadet
I thought about the shift plate too. The mechanic said that would be an issue more when I was trying to shift from neutral in to forward or reverse. I jiggled the plate several times but it didn't make a difference. The reason he replaced the head gasket was the boat had low compression.

Since it has a new starter and fuel pump and also new plugs, wires and cap I really feel like it might actually be the carburetor as it seems to be struggling to get enough fuel. Although, what do I know?

When it did run it was like it couldn't get enough fuel and was only.working right when the throttle was nearly wide open.

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If your handy stripping the carb isn't all that difficult and there are videos on YouTube. If the boat had been sitting for a while I would be tempted to strip and clean it for peace of mind but that's just my view 😜

matthewwatts

Cadet
I'm hugely inept at all things mechanical. Now, if you need a city wide point to point wireless network with unified communications and fail over virtual servers in a geo-diverse location... I'm your guy. Rebuilding a carb... don't know how many screws I'd have left over.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
.... The reason he replaced the head gasket was the boat had low compression...

Did he do a compression check before and after the head gasket replacement? And give you the results? You don't simply replace a head gasket because of low compression.

You need to do some basic tests to see whether the problem is fuel or spark related. (Or even compression related!) Since you admit to being not mechanically inclined, perhaps it is time to simply find a different mechanic.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm hugely inept at all things mechanical. Now, if you need a city wide point to point wireless network with unified communications and fail over virtual servers in a geo-diverse location... I'm your guy. Rebuilding a carb... don't know how many screws I'd have left over.

Matthew, obviously you can read and understand logical things because you have abilities to understand such things being a computer pro. So there are equally great step by step procedures as to how to rebuild your carb. And if you take the time and follow along, I think you could do it and then have another capability in your arsenal of abilities... The only one stopping you is you! Try it, you may even like it as well! JMHO!

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Im with GM280.You came here looking for something.I had no confidence in any of this until I hung out here long enough to start disassembling things.Start with pulling an outdrive and impeller and move on to a carb.

matthewwatts

Cadet
Thank you for your vote of confidence, GM280. I do think I'm going to run up to the marina in a bit and pull the carb off and see what kind of damage I can do. I've watched some videos and it doesn't seem overly complicated, just meticulous. I think I can manage that. Someone mentioned today that I should pull the flame arrester off and spray the whole thing down with Gum Out to see if that even helps. Their thought was that since the boat has sat for so long that there could have been trash in the tank and by running it and jostling it, maybe it got sucked into the carb.

z284u2try

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Do you see fuel going into engine when cranking looking down carb? This engine probably has an oil pressure switch that may be bad or a sticking float.

matthewwatts

Cadet
I took the carb off and took it to another mechanic. He felt like the carb was actually ok. The told me that my gasoline should not be neon green

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I took the carb off and took it to another mechanic. He felt like the carb was actually ok. The told me that my gasoline should not be neon green
Exactly right. Drain the fuel,flush with fresh,change all fuel filters,give it a try. Let us know what happens....

wrench 3

Commander
Because I totally think you guys can read my mind, I failed to mention that I came back to the boat about two hours later to try again and still was getting the same problem. When I first started it, the boat fired right up and actually fired up several times. It would just run a really rough idle. Or die completely at idle.

So you're going to empty the fuel tank and try again with new fuel. But from your description of how it ran it sounds like it was over fueling. So I would at least check the float valve (needle and seat) in the carb before putting it back on.

matthewwatts

Cadet
To drain the fuel do I just stick a manual siphon house in (not electric) and pump the gas out? How many fuel filters would I have? I have only seen the one on the carb itself.

wrench 3

Commander
If you can remove the fuel gauge sender from the tank it will give you better access to get all the old fuel out.
There may be a filter in the metal can on the fuel pump. Also you may have a fuel water separator between the tank and the fuel pump. It would look like a spin on oil filter.