Should I opt for oil delete? confused. seeking expert consult

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you can't get a new oil tank/sensor, it would be better to disconnect the wire going to the warning module than to convert to manual oil mix.

Rkuruvilla

Cadet
If you can't get a new oil tank/sensor, it would be better to disconnect the wire going to the warning module than to convert to manual oil mix.
New oil tank is back ordered until November 7th and maybe longer. We were able to fixed the float sensor magnet in the oil reservoir that has fallen off after watching a couple of youtube videos. The beep stopped as we filled up the tank and after a 2hours in the water today the oil level had dropped about 1 inch. So all is good in that aspect.I do need to change the oil pump lines ( give the age) as given advice here.

Rkuruvilla

Cadet
Just acquired a 2001 90 Mercury 2 stroke ELPTO with approx 50hours. I am totally new to boating. Already wasted $400 at a repair shop after flooding the carb and thinking I had a start repair issue... so learning from mistake/try/fail here;).
The outboard runs like a champ. Had the low oil sensor float failure in the oil tank assembly so we decided to bypass the sensor (Mercury OEM tank assembly on back order until end of the year or more). After reading through forums I am contemplating oil delete on the outboard and going direct fuel mix at 50:1 Should I attempt the oil delete?. The Mercury is 22 years old but has only 50 hours on it. Are the oil delivery components susceptible to fail soon? If I continue with the VRO what are some signs I should look for if a problem exists. Will it be too late by then. I was given a reasonable quote for the work need by two separate mechanics. I was warned of smokey outboard while on idle speed with oil delete. Please guide me here in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
It may be a subject for another thread by I love the advice I am getting here. How do I know/check if the blige pump is working? I have a on/off switch for blige pump on the console. But how do I make sure it is functioning? I would appreciate the consult. Thanks.
Grease the prop shaft, Winterize.
Yes and thanks. D

Rkuruvilla

Cadet
Just acquired a 2001 90 Mercury 2 stroke ELPTO with approx 50hours. I am totally new to boating. Already wasted $400 at a repair shop after flooding the carb and thinking I had a start repair issue... so learning from mistake/try/fail here;).
The outboard runs like a champ. Had the low oil sensor float failure in the oil tank assembly so we decided to bypass the sensor (Mercury OEM tank assembly on back order until end of the year or more). After reading through forums I am contemplating oil delete on the outboard and going direct fuel mix at 50:1 Should I attempt the oil delete?. The Mercury is 22 years old but has only 50 hours on it. Are the oil delivery components susceptible to fail soon? If I continue with the VRO what are some signs I should look for if a problem exists. Will it be too late by then. I was given a reasonable quote for the work need by two separate mechanics. I was warned of smokey outboard while on idle speed with oil delete. Please guide me here in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Rkuruvilla

Cadet
Took the boat out. Outboard running smooth. Steering is quite tight. I can manage but wife will have a hard time after about 10 minutes @ 20mph. Also a good pull to the right side. I am going to attempt to remove the steering cable from the tilt tube tomorrow and check for old grease build up and then grease with WD 40 white lithium per youtube videos I have watched. Also adjust the trim tab. Any suggestions? See how I am holding the steering tight on one side.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Video 2022-10-16 at 1.35.01 PM.mp4
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Took the boat out. Outboard running smooth. Steering is quite tight. I can manage but wife will have a hard time after about 10 minutes @ 20mph. Also a good pull to the right side. I am going to attempt to remove the steering cable from the tilt tube tomorrow and check for old grease build up and then grease with WD 40 white lithium per youtube videos I have watched. Also adjust the trim tab. Any suggestions?
That about does it.....I usually get a long skinny brush and degrease/clean out the tilt tube.

When it's out of the tilt tube try it then....if still hard you will have to purchase a new cable.

Good luck.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
To correct a pull, the first thing to do is trim the motor. If you don't like the trim setting necessary to even the steering out then adjust the trim tab.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If boat goes to the right then turn the trim tab more to the right .----Yes to the right !

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I am going to attempt to remove the steering cable from the tilt tube tomorrow and check for old grease build up and then grease with WD 40 white lithium per youtube videos I have watched.
WD is good for cleaning but I would forgo the white lithium grease for something a little more water resistant.

I've had very good results with Evinrude Triple-guard Grease and Yamaha Marine grease in this application

Would also highly recommend a "cable nut" once you get everything cleaned out and functioning propoerly. Money well spent.

As noted above, trim angle has a huge effect on steering. I would try various trim positions to see how if affects steering before tearing into the steering cable and messing around with the trim tab

Rkuruvilla

Cadet
WD is good for cleaning but I would forgo the white lithium grease for something a little more water resistant.

I've had very good results with Evinrude Triple-guard Grease and Yamaha Marine grease in this application

Would also highly recommend a "cable nut" once you get everything cleaned out and functioning propoerly. Money well spent.

As noted above, trim angle has a huge effect on steering. I would try various trim positions to see how if affects steering before tearing into the steering cable and messing around with the trim tab
Thank you. Just learning about the trim angle. Will experiment next time on the water. Thank you for the pointer. Steering is easy to rotate while on ground after the lube service.

Rkuruvilla

Cadet
To correct a pull, the first thing to do is trim the motor. If you don't like the trim setting necessary to even the steering out then adjust the trim tab.
Thank you. Just learning about the importance trim angle. Will experiment next time on the water. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Rkuruvilla

Cadet
If boat goes to the right then turn the trim tab more to the right .----Yes to the right !
Thank you. Now that the steering is freely rotating after the lube service, I plan to experiment with the trim angle ( as advised here) to check steering pull next time in the water before messing with the trim tab.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I had that engine and decided to pull the drive gear and go with pre-mix after 12 years of age and usage. No reason but felt that it was a good idea. I replaced it with a 115 of the same year-model, design,series of Merc. and stayed with the OEM VRO. I use/used wallyworld's Pennzoil Premium Plus Semi-synthetic (half the price of Merc.) and had the same results as dingbat. Only way I knew it was using oil was by the tank requiring fillups. Almost totally smokeless.

If you do a lot of trolling, the VRO 80 or 90:1 mixture (forget which) would be better than the 50:1 you would get if premixed for a clean engine.