Should I opt for oil delete? confused. seeking expert consult

Rkuruvilla

Cadet
Just acquired a 2001 90 Mercury 2 stroke ELPTO with approx 50hours. I am totally new to boating. Already wasted $400 at a repair shop after flooding the carb and thinking I had a start repair issue... so learning from mistake/try/fail here;).
The outboard runs like a champ. Had the low oil sensor float failure in the oil tank assembly so we decided to bypass the sensor (Mercury OEM tank assembly on back order until end of the year or more). After reading through forums I am contemplating oil delete on the outboard and going direct fuel mix at 50:1 Should I attempt the oil delete?. The Mercury is 22 years old but has only 50 hours on it. Are the oil delivery components susceptible to fail soon? If I continue with the VRO what are some signs I should look for if a problem exists. Will it be too late by then. I was given a reasonable quote for the work need by two separate mechanics. I was warned of smokey outboard while on idle speed with oil delete. Please guide me here in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Just acquired a 2001 90 Mercury 2 stroke ELPTO with approx 50hours. I am totally new to boating. Already wasted $400 at a repair shop after flooding the carb and thinking I had a start repair issue... so learning from mistake/try/fail here;).
The outboard runs like a champ. Had the low oil sensor float failure in the oil tank assembly so we decided to bypass the sensor (Mercury OEM tank assembly on back order until end of the year or more). After reading through forums I am contemplating oil delete on the outboard and going direct fuel mix at 50:1 Should I attempt the oil delete?. The Mercury is 22 years old but has only 50 hours on it. Are the oil delivery components susceptible to fail soon? If I continue with the VRO what are some signs I should look for if a problem exists. Will it be too late by then. I was given a reasonable quote for the work need by two separate mechanics. I was warned of smokey outboard while on idle speed with oil delete. Please guide me here in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
I'd stick with the vro. Runs better/cleaner and is less of a hassle.

If it's a concern replace the pump.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have a 92 40 hp oil injected merc. My mechanics in my area claim the merc oil injection systems are good. Only the vro system by the Johnson people have had issues. My system has worked flawlessly since new so I wouldnt fix what isnt broke

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I’ve owned and run both Merc and Evinrude oiling systems.
The only failure I’ve experience was a blown oil cap (on motor cap) on a Merc 175. Blew oil all over the inside of the motor cover. Real mess
Made it back to the ramp with a sandwich bag and a rubber band.

Put fresh oil lines on yours and run it

Rkuruvilla

Cadet
10/12/2022
Well... Thanks for instilling in the confidence on the Mercury VRO. I will not be attempting the oil delete per all your recommendations. Thank you.

Rkuruvilla

Cadet
I’ve owned and run both Merc and Evinrude oiling systems.
The only failure I’ve experience was a blown oil cap (on motor cap) on a Merc 175. Blew oil all over the inside of the motor cover. Real mess
Made it back to the ramp with a sandwich bag and a rubber band.

Put fresh oil lines on yours and run it
Thank you

Rkuruvilla

Cadet
I have a 92 40 hp oil injected merc. My mechanics in my area claim the merc oil injection systems are good. Only the vro system by the Johnson people have had issues. My system has worked flawlessly since new so I wouldnt fix what isnt broke
Thank you

Rkuruvilla

Cadet
I should also add....make sure your system is properly maintained to keep it working well !!
Flush well after each use, lower unit oil changed, greased outboard fittings, fuel filter change, trailer hubs greased, Was using Quicksilver oil but am thinking to switch to Pennzoil Premium plus (a bit of cost savings). Spark plugs looks good. So far we have done this. Anything else major missing that we should attend to? Thanks

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Flush well after each use, lower unit oil changed, greased outboard fittings, fuel filter change, trailer hubs greased, Was using Quicksilver oil but am thinking to switch to Pennzoil Premium plus (a bit of cost savings). Spark plugs looks good. So far we have done this. Anything else major missing that we should attend to? Thanks
I would stick to your Merc oil.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
My thoughts on it….with the huge exception of the old big v6 merc 2 strokes…I think most other systems are ok…only if the system is inspected and maintained regularly. Check oil lines or replace if needed…integrity of lines and components within. Should be ok. As far as I’ve been aware…when the system fails…it’s usually as a result of perished lines or fittings…or crud in the tank or lines/fittings. Keep on top of these…you’ll be ok.
As for the earlier mentioned v6’s…always bypass and pre mix. Learned that from experience and an empty wallet afterwards!
If you’re keen…not a bad idea to mix a little in the fuel tank additionally, just as a precaution.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These Mercury oil injection systems are driven by a plastic / nylon gear on the crankshaft.-----I have seen that gear stripped.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
These Mercury oil injection systems are driven by a plastic / nylon gear on the crankshaft.-----I have seen that gear stripped.
Definitely seem that on the old v6 200 I had. Had 2 since then…always went pre mix. Scary how bad they are. Not sure about the smaller engines. They seem to be less prone to failure perhaps

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Was using Quicksilver oil but am thinking to switch to Pennzoil Premium plus (a bit of cost savings).
I liked the Mercury Premium Plus but burning 12-18 gallons a season it gets expensive.

Pennzoil Premium Plus has been my "go to" oil for the past 12 seasons. Burns clean. Minimal smoke. One of only three oils I've run in my motor (200HP) that will troll 8-10 hours w/o fouling plugs or smoking like a chimney.

I actually prefer Evinrude XD50 because of it's carbon protection, if and when case lots go on sale.
Anything else major missing that we should attend to? Thanks
If it's sat for 22 years its due to have the hoses replaced.

Pay particular attention of the clear tubing running between the oil tank and pump. They get hard and brittle over time. Hose should be nice and soft

Rkuruvilla

Cadet
My thoughts on it….with the huge exception of the old big v6 merc 2 strokes…I think most other systems are ok…only if the system is inspected and maintained regularly. Check oil lines or replace if needed…integrity of lines and components within. Should be ok. As far as I’ve been aware…when the system fails…it’s usually as a result of perished lines or fittings…or crud in the tank or lines/fittings. Keep on top of these…you’ll be ok.
As for the earlier mentioned v6’s…always bypass and pre mix. Learned that from experience and an empty wallet afterwards!
If you’re keen…not a bad idea to mix a little in the fuel tank additionally, just as a precaution.
Thank you. Looks like we are doing fair so far for as beginners. 100:1 mixing as a precaution?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Thank you. Looks like we are doing fair so far for as beginners. 100:1 mixing as a precaution?
Probably be less than that I’d say. Otherwise you’ll be spending a fortune more than you need and might be too rich for her too perhaps. Likely more like 200-1 guys will dose at. Just enough to buy you time, should the worst happen. Always good to keep an eye on your oil tank level before and after a day out I’d say.
Personally…on a merc…I’d go pre mix and bypass. On an old yam. (Other than a jet ski yam) I’d leave it and dose the tank with oil as a precaution. That’s just me though. Up to you.

airshot

Rear Admiral
What you have done is great, but my reference to maintenence was the oil injection system, replacing hoses, etc keeping that oil injection system working well !!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The inline looper motors rarely have a gear failure unless it got really hot. Thats why the oil pump is not monitored...

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Grease the prop shaft, Winterize.