Should I keep VP AQ 120B/270?

HMCM(SS)Ret

Cadet
I am in the middle of a transom rebuild and was wondering what some thoughts are on keeping the current power. I have an AQ 120B with a 270 sterndrive. Motor and drive worked great before pullling for the transom rebuild. I know parts may be hard to find. But, I can not see spending the $$ for a repower when the surrent set up works fine. On the other hand, I don't want to have to rebuild the transom again if this motor or drive craps out and I can't find replacement. Just wondering. Check out my thread in the rebuild section. I don't know how to put that link in the post.:facepalm:

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Should I keep VP AQ 120B/270?

Depends on the size of the boat and if the engine will push it through the water fast enough for you. Start looking around at what it'll take to upgrade. You'll find that in order to upgrade to a V-8, you'll need a transom shield with dual idle relief ports, a different exhaust pipe (Y-pipe instead of single), a different lower end for the outdrive (different gear ratio), will need to check the engine area to see if a V-8 will fit between the stringers, and then fashion forward motor mounts, plus you need to find an engine with all the accessories.

It's do-able but pretty expensive. Many decide to live with what they have or get a different boat. Don't mean to be blunt but that's the way it is.

BTW - I was an ELT on a 637 class attack boat so had to share my lab with the "doc" at times. Glad to see another bubblehead on the forum! :D

HMCM(SS)Ret

Cadet
Re: Should I keep VP AQ 120B/270?

Hello Pirate, I was on SSB 617 Gold crew. ELTs were my buddies! :D Thanks for the reply. My boat is a slow moving Houseboat which is fine with me.