FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I'm guessing it's not required as there doesn't appear to be any traces of grease on the gears. Then again it's an Aqua Meter speedo built about 40 years ago so it might have had grease on it once.<br /><br />Anyone know?
Re: Should I grease clockwork gears in water pressure speedo?
I wasn't building gauges 40 years ago Tinkerer, but the speedo's today have just a drop of 10,000cs silicone on the gears to prevent jerkiness throughout the scale. If you do grease it, just a small dab will do ya.
Re: Should I grease clockwork gears in water pressure speedo?
Hi Tinkerer, I tinker with antique clocks once in a while and I can say this.. don't use any grease, it is way too thick. most of the clocks I have worked on did fine with a good cleaning and a small bit of sewing machine oil applied with a hypo...on bearing points.....all grease or oil seems to do is collect dust and dirt and cause the mechanism to stick or slow down ...