Should I do it?

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a shot at getting a 1974 Starchief on CL (owner calls it a Chieftain????). He wants $1000 and seems firm. I already have a 1969 18' Chief thats gutted and ready for resto needs glass, transom, yep, everything, with a old trailer. I have $300 into it. I'm thinking that I should jump on the 1974 Chief and try to sell the 1969 to get my $300 back. Here is the info and pics of the 74...Looking at it 4:00pm EST. Thoughts? I'm feeling like this is a no brainer.

Thanks,
Mike

"1974 Starcraft cuddy cabin (similar to an Islander). 1992 Evinrude 90HP. Boat is not pretty, floor a bit soft. Sound aluminum hull, no leaks. Engine runs well. Fish finder, compass, porta-potty, bimini, 2 new seats, 1 installed. LoadRite bunk trailer in excellent condition. Kicker motor not included."

Attachments

• 3mc3o13l45Y15Q15U1aah1e5d5ad0b48c12b9.jpg
    3mc3o13l45Y15Q15U1aah1e5d5ad0b48c12b9.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 3n53o23pb5O65Q65X5aah1a79281fed3c1497.jpg
    3n53o23pb5O65Q65X5aah1a79281fed3c1497.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 3nb3k73l45Y05W15U4aah094065be15871afa.jpg
    3nb3k73l45Y05W15U4aah094065be15871afa.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 3

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Should I do it?

I think that is a Chieftain as well. Are they both 18' in length?

Is the one you already have an OB or I/O? I'd get the new one set up for outboard if I were you.

Nice looking rig, what's up with that kicker motor? It looks like an ancient air-cooled 5hp.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Both are OBs and 18'.
Not sure about the kicker but it does looks ancient. I'll let you know if I find out.

Thanks

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

Pull the trigger and pick that bad girl up.
Check the compression on the motor and check the hull for damage.
If both ok than you have a decent boat to pour money into.
Around here that thing would be going for 3 or 4 times that.
GLG

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks gents. I really didn't think anyone would say to walk away from this one.
The struggle for me is deciding if I want to run 2 boats. a 16SS (first resto) and one of these two.

Huron Angler

Admiral

You won't catch me telling anyone to walk away from a Starcraft outboard model very often.:D (so far only once, when the boat had a gash in the hull from a car accident while trailering:p).

The newer hull probably is in a little better shape, and that 90hp Evinrude is worth the 1k by itself if it is in running condition.

You might be able to find a collecter that wants that old kicker to recoup some dollars also.

I need a SC cuddy to go with my 16' SS myself, so no worries there. The SS isn't big enough to overnight on, and the Chieftain is better for rainy days.:D

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Huron,

Well, if you really want a good 18' Chief to restore and have $300 kicking around we should talk.:rolleyes: Tag team from ME-MI

Good point about rainy days.

Kicker wont come with it unless I talk him out of it. I'm not that good at haggeling tho.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yup, she is a good looking rig! I am a haggler so I'd be trying to go $800 on it or $1000 with the kicker. I'd prolly turn around and sell both meaning that hull and trailer would be free. Shoot, you'd make money and have a start on a new OB in the 115ish range.

I'd justify it like this...

Am I willing to do a little extra legwork for a free Starcraft Chieftain. Um, ok!

Have fun!

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Checked her out last night and here's the scoop.
Top sides are better than my 69 Chief as far as extra holes and dents on the gunwhales, rub rails, glass (just need windshield). Bad news is the hull was soaking in salt water for a long time. The massively thick layers of bottom paint (maybe lead) is flaking off and the exposed aluminum is powdery. Don't know how rotted she is under all that and probably wont find out untill I start stripping. It makes a dead thump wherever I wrap on it with my nuckles. Ideas?

Next is the motor. It was obviously tilted out of the water while moored. The tilt motor is a pile of rust but told it works and can get a new on for around $60 ???. The 90 Rude is otherwise in very clean condition skeg and prop are not pitted, scratched or dinged. Under the cover is almost show room cond. Cowl has some chips of paint missing.

Trailer looks new!

We made an agreement to meet this Sat and if the motor compression ect is good I'll be glad to give him asking price. I plan to drain some lower unit oil, run it and make sure it goes up and down and in and out of gear. Anything else I should check?

Between the 2 boats I should be able to salvage 1 good one.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think that is a Chieftain as well. Are they both 18' in length?

Is the one you already have an OB or I/O? I'd get the new one set up for outboard if I were you.

Nice looking rig, what's up with that kicker motor? It looks like an ancient air-cooled 5hp.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

The ancient kicker is a early 70s Seagull 4hp. He has 2 that work and will not part with them. I'll leave him my card incase he changes his mind.

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

If it?s a saltwater hull check the strakes for corrosion. If it?s like mine with holes in it you will get an idea of the overall condition of the aluminum. If the holes are small than chances the hulls ok if they are large or elongated I would be looking for more corrosion.
The front part of the keel is another place to check. Ramps and beaches are hard on the keel. Fixable yes but it gives you an idea on use. If the boat is on a bunk trailer you really can?t check the hull there, but if the old trailer was a bunk style sometimes you can tell where the bunks meet the hull. This area can be full of corrosion because of the saltwater that gets trapped between the bunk and the hull. It?s all fixable yes but it should give you some bargaining points. I would not bother with a 4hp kicker as I think an 8hp is better suited for this boat.

GLG

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

GLG,
Thanks for sharing your wisdom on the matter.

I think its a good thing that I didn't notice any pitting, just oxidization.

10-4 on the kicker.

Mike

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Its in my yard and it is definatly a Chieftain. Original sticker on dash. Now I have 3 and will be looking to sell the 69 Starchief and maybe the 90 Rude. I want to power down to a 60 for fuel economy.

I'll start a new thread when I get started this spring.

We all love pictures so here are a few more.

Attachments

• DSCF2082-M.jpg
    DSCF2082-M.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2083-M.jpg
    DSCF2083-M.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2084-M.jpg
    DSCF2084-M.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 3

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Excellent!!! Have fun with the Resto :D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sweet! That is a nice rig. The trailer is pretty new also from the look of it. Galvanized too:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Awesome!:D

I think you'd be bumming with a 60 on there though.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jasoutside - I mainly fish and cruise, no tubes or skiers. On another thread I read that a 60 on an 18 footer will perform well. Do you agree. 30 mph is plenty for us. How loud is this 90 going to be in the water? Wife and I love the 40 4 stroke on the SS. Heck, I have a 2.5 Merc kicker thats just as loud.

Ezmobee - OAL is 18' 8"...You have a good eye!

Can't wait to get started. The major things are transom, soaked flotation, bad floor, windshield and cosmetics...No problem! This is an old boat that has been used but not beat on. I may start the rest thread soon.