Should I change from rollers to bunks? 18' tin

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
I don't particularly like bunk trailers, but after sighting my 18' tin starcraft it looks like the tiniest arc might be forming around the rollers on the starboard side. I did have a lot of snow weight on it this year.

It's not a problem yet and might even be temp flex due to the boat sitting a little crooked from my trip last week.

Do u all use bunks on your tin boats?

dozerII

Admiral
Re: Should I change from rollers to bunks? 18' tin

Hey ct, after what I experienced today with the bunk set up on my Ezloader I will never go back to rollers, what dream to load and unload, and it will never dent my hull. Just my honest opinion thou.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Why is it a dream to load/unload? I had a bunk trailer years ago with my fiberglass and I remember thinking rollers where a dream once I switched to them

dozerII

Admiral

I backed it into the water till the rear of the hull was in about 6 inches, unhooked the bow strap gave it a push and off it went. When it came time to load, I backed the trailer down till it was a foot from the water pulled the boat over stood at the end of the trailer clipped the winch strap on then tightened it up so the bow was between the lower bunks, then went up to the winch and cranked the boat on while the Admiral let the trailer slowly roll back into the water, easiest load ever.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

We'll that does sound easy :)

MikDee

Banned

I backed it into the water till the rear of the hull was in about 6 inches, unhooked the bow strap gave it a push and off it went. When it came time to load, I backed the trailer down till it was a foot from the water pulled the boat over stood at the end of the trailer clipped the winch strap on then tightened it up so the bow was between the lower bunks, then went up to the winch and cranked the boat on while the Admiral let the trailer slowly roll back into the water, easiest load ever.

Try doing that alone! I cursed the roller trailer my boat came with. I couldn't release the boat, then get into it, and back off the bunks like usual. :mad: I always needed someone to release the boat once I was in it. The same thing when loading, no way could I get to the front of the boat to latch it on. :rolleyes:

dozerII

Admiral

Try doing that alone! I cursed the roller trailer my boat came with. I couldn't release the boat, then get into it, and back off the bunks like usual. :mad: I always needed someone to release the boat once I was in it. The same thing when loading, no way could I get to the front of the boat to latch it on. :rolleyes:

Another reason I don't like roller trailers!!

SigSaurP229

Commander

I switched my 18 from bunks to rollers I will NEVER own another roller

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I have both, not sure either one is a problem worth converting over. If I had a roller trailer with a bunch of rollers that needed replaced then I would covert to bunk because of the cost and pain in the ... of roller replacement.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I unload and load by myself most of the time and a bunk trailer with side guide on boards is the best for me. The only time I would want a roller trailer is for shallow boat ramps.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just learned something. Another reason to like this place.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

thanks everyone, i will stick with what ive got for now. the season has started afterall!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Bunks all the way for me. I launch/load by myself all the time, or worse, with kiddos to tend to also. That boat stays right where I want it till I want it off.

I think it really depends on your whole launch/load methods and what you are comfortable with. No way I'd run rollers but to be fair I know a lot of guys love them.

Rock on:rockon:

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Add me to the list that like rollers....but to be fair...I've never had bunks..except on the sides to guide the boat to the
correct location on the trailer.......pictures of trailer are from a few years ago...I have done some changes to the boat since then......

Attachments

• MY BOAT LOOKING AT SIDE A RESIZED.JPG
    MY BOAT LOOKING AT SIDE A RESIZED.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 1
  • ON THE BOAT P RESIZED.JPG
    ON THE BOAT P RESIZED.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 1
  • MY BOAT SIDE MARKER LIGHTS A RESIZED.JPG
    MY BOAT SIDE MARKER LIGHTS A RESIZED.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 2011 09 01 MY BOAT A RESIZED 800X600.jpg
    2011 09 01 MY BOAT A RESIZED 800X600.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice

Bunks, with a drop axle. The boat rides low and I don't need a lot of water at a ramp. I hated the roller trailer that my Holiday was on, sat higher than the fenders and was a pain to get off and on.

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.

No to rollers here. I will be removing mine and replacing with bunks and keel rollers. Anyone want my rollers?
here are the issues I have with them:
1. insufficient support to aluminum boat hull- resulting in dents and even cracks
2. expensive to replace rollers
3. black rubber rollers mark the hull

photo2-1.jpg

photo-18.jpg

64osby

Admiral

The 21' Mariner has been on a Shorelin'r 32 roller since 1973 with no hull issues.

I like the rollers for my uses. Haven't had to use a really steep launch.

If I were a full time river boater I might look at bunks. My .05. For those North of the Border

InMotion

Commander

I am pro bunk! Yup... they work great. Never had any issues and they support the hull well. My .2543 Cdn Cents!!!!

J.

mv6767

Cadet

I was taught that rollers are for fiberglass hulls and bunks for aluminum.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I had rollers with my fiberglass hull and now have bunks with my aluminum hull. Both worked well. I've got a couple of pieces of 3/8" thick slippery UHMW plastic that I'm gonna try instead of carpet on my bunks to try to get the better support of bunks plus the ease of loading of rollers. When I get a round tuit. - Grandad