should i buy a citation?

andy502

Cadet
alrite i pretty much know nothing about these boats an have searched all over the web to only find out the company is no long in buisness sense around 2003. i happen to come around a deal on a 1984 VC210XS? its through a friend who says its in overall good working condition and im getting the sense that these boats are getting a bit on the rare side from the lack of info on them. i mean ive tryed to read as much threads on them as possible an just wanted to see if this would give me a little more help with it. it has a 350 king cobra in it. i know nothing about boats an my friend said the only issue with the boat at the moment is the power steering pump. i just want to make sure these arent like the yugo's of the boat world or somthing and me buying this boat would leed me into a huge problem that isnt worth any time. does any1 have any advice for me?:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: should i buy a citation?

look for something better

Andy in NY

Commander

if you want a citation, just get a cop to give you one!:D

andy502

Cadet

well yea id love to get somthing better but im 18 and dont have much of a income. this would be the first boat i would have ever purchased and its in actully really good condition im not expecting much out of the over all ride of the boat. ive been around boats a bit when i was younger and a few family meambers have them but im sorta looking to get one myself. when i was young my grandfather had a 44ft pierson cruiser and also a 48ft chris craft romer but those are long gone. one of my cousins also has a 55ft gibson house boat. but nobody in the family owens a ski boat and this just sorta seemed like a deal because i think theirs been some performance parts put on it.. i like to ski an i was told they used it for that reason... i was just trying to get an idea bout the over all quality of these boats because i can tell this is an off brand but i mean if they are juss horrible boats an have money loss writen all over them then im prolly not going to do it. the hull looked to be in good shape i was thinking about taking it somewhere to get checked out before i bought it jus trying to find somthing out an yea id rather not get a citation from a cop lol had to many of those behind the wheel of a car

-andy

ziggy

Admiral

i was just trying to get an idea bout the over all quality of these boats because i can tell this is an off brand but i mean if they are juss horrible boats an have money loss writen all over them
i don't know about the brand of boat yer talking about. any boat that is older can be in good or bad shape. depends on how it was cared for. thinking the reason ya don't want to get into that one is because of the omc.........that would be obsolete motor corp........

andy502

Cadet

jon and i truly dont mean to be rude by this but i wonder how much time you have on your hands because i had a question about a boat not needing someone who has nothing to do with them selves telling me that my grammer is poor. im sending these replys quickly because i am in between classes (at rhodes college) and didnt seem to put much thought into it but hey im sorry all that botherd you so much. next time i get on a blog with a question about a boat ill be sure to think about the feeling of some one behind a computer screen judging a 18 year old in a hurry. have a nice day jon please feel free to better ur time in a more productive way

-andy

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Andy

Ziggy was talking about the OMC outdrive ( gears and prop ) the king cobra is supposed to be a real pain to get parts for and prone to problems if your income doesent allow for something better you could end up with a boat that's broken and can't afford to fix ( i hope i didnt mispell anything ):rolleyes:

D

DJ

Andy,

Boats are boats. If the hull and floor are solid, it's probably OK.

The issue I have is with the drive system. That is an antique and not well supported. If you want an I/O you're better off with a MerCruiser or Volvo.

The OMC performed well but it was made by a defunct company.

andy502

Cadet

alright all this has been a really big help. i read somthing about the cobra engines eating their gears? im not sure but it also said this could be avoided with a simple cable that runs around $80. im not sure about this boat anymore,:confused: im starting to have second thoughts on this whole thing so i might juss have it taken somewhere and inspected before i buy it. if the grammer is wrong please nobody ridicule me lol

tashasdaddy

ok, boys, all of you, act like adults and cut the carp!!

Andy the drive train in that boat is the Yugo you mentioned. thats why is said look for another boat. IF the parts are available, they will be expensive, and finding some to install them even harder.

also every citation that age that i have seen, has rot. i bought one to get the trailer, and gave the boat away.

tashasdaddy

playing or not, there is not going to be any bashing on the iboats forums.

rocky100

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Andy, keep looking.
There are other boats out there:)

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Andy If you search some of the threads you will see most of the top dogs on this forum are really aginst OMC I looked at one earlier this year and didnt buy because of their advice. Most of these guys really know their stuff.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Unfortunately a boat that age can soak up every last dollar and hour of labor you have, don't forget it's 23 years old, and most of us would not buy a 23 year old car and not expect to pour $$ into it to make it reliable. Plus it is getting harder to find OMC parts and more importantly the mechanics that know how to set them up. I have one and so far it's been fine but who knows how long you can depend on BRP to provide the parts. The people here telling you not to buy this are giving you very good advice!

SpinnerBait_Nut

I deleted 3 posts that had nothing to do with the question of this topic.
Keep it on topic please.

andy502

Cadet

well im just going to say screw the citation idea and just wait around for another deal to cross my path again. thanks evreyone for your advice

180shabah

Rear Admiral

well im just going to say screw the citation idea and just wait around for another deal to cross my path again....

That sounds like a great idea to me.

You haven't filled out your profile yet, where are you located? Perhaps someone could point you towards some other choices.

Cptkid570

Ensign

Andy - there are boats around the same age that have a Mercruiser or Volvo Penta in them and I'm sure you can find a good deal on some of them.. maybe even something that runs good but needs interior work or something.