Should gas tanks be stored in North Tx 100 degree heat with vents open or closed

wickware

Lieutenant
Should gas tanks be stored in North Tx 100 degree heat with vents open or closed (under a tarp)? A 6 gal metal tank got my attention releasing pressure today as I opened it. Thinking I?m done until the heat passes I closed the vent. Plus, with the Stabil I have not had problems with 1 yr old gas. I tries to use the gas but probably have about 3 gals in 2 tanks.

Jiggz

Captain
Re: Should gas tanks be stored in North Tx 100 degree heat with vents open or closed

Well, if you leave the vent open, depending how long the heat lasts and how long before you use it, you might not even have gas left after it all evaporated. I leave the vent shut although we seldom have any temp above 90 over here in the pacific NW.

afd2131

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Should gas tanks be stored in North Tx 100 degree heat with vents open or closed

Gas fumes need to get to about 475 degrees F to ignite. I would probably store it with vent open just to vent the pressure and be safe, but as stated above, it'll probably evaporate.

notsunkyet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I say yes..... I have bought three of the pos plastic 6 gallon ones and every one I leave sealed cracks the stupid screw on caps..

wickware

Lieutenant

Let me stress not leaving an unfinished fuel line replacement connected to a tank. I went back the next morning once to find about a half gal was pressured out onto the floor. Plus, about 1980 we were well above 100 degrees in East Tx and heard hissing etc noise on our way to the lake. We found the truck and boat releasing pressure causing the noise.

My past 93 Ford Explorer was stalling on me after a fill-up at the next exit ramp about 3-4 yrs ago. After investigating and sharing, I learned I needed to stop topping of my gas. Topping past the pump?s 1st stop was causing the truck to flood from the expansion. It would always restart w/o a problem but a lesson learned.

PS. I need to go and open the 2nd thank that is plastic but it showed no pressure.

Jiggz

Captain

I say yes..... I have bought three of the pos plastic 6 gallon ones and every one I leave sealed cracks the stupid screw on caps..

Plastic jugs were never designed for gasoline storage contrary to popular belief but more for transporting especially those bought at Walmart. If you want to use jugs for storage you should invest in the metallic heavy gauge jugs same as those used in the military. However, lately they started selling those thick plastic jugs that can be used for storage at Costco. Leaving the vent open serves no purpose except to evaporate the gas or fill a space with explosive fumes. Of course, in this case it's in the open so it matters little. But if you store such jugs with open vents in a shed the vapor concentration can be explosive depending how much ventilation there is and how hot the weather is also.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

'Jugs' don't usually come in 6 gal sizes, plastic fuel tanks usually do. They're designed for boats without regard to storage, but will be damaged easier from over-pressure than steel. Vents open, gents, and don't store in enclosed space ... :facepalm:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Store,full and in the shade with the vent open.
The quickest way to ruin a 6gal boat tank is let it expand in the sun,It'll pop somewhere.
If it's not full the air space will expand 10X the expansion of gas.Leave em full and in some kind of shade?
Neighbors boat,had a 6 gal and left it in the sun.It cracked at the hose pickup.
The marine accessories,squeezies etc went up in price by 200-300% Tanks went up 30%

Expidia

Commander

I leave mine full, in the boat locker in a garage. It never gets that hot. I never close the vent. I used to, but then a short time when underway my o/b would cutout as I usually forgot to open the vent. Could have made it dicey if some big boat was coming at me and my engine dies :eek:
Then my brother in law, a long time boater said why do you close the vent at all? I said when I trailer I dont want it to slosh around and spill into the bilge from stop and go driving. He said, it doesn't spill out while you are boating does it? He had a point, that was many years ago and I never have closed it since . . . unless I'm transporting it back from a gas station in my cars trunk if I'm at a hotel and I don't want to hook the trailer to the boat to go fill the tank. These plastic tanks are probably made each year of thinner, cheaper and cheaper materials Could split or burst if stored in sun with vent closed. I'd leave the vent open and store out of the sun of course. If stored in a shed I would not walk into the shed with a cigar in my yap on a hot day or you go boom :eek:

UncleBuck81

Seaman Apprentice

I'm in texas as well. I always disconnect the fuel line and only tighten the cap one turn. I never hook it back up until at the ramp. In 2011(the heat wave year) I destroyed a tank. So have always been careful since.

81 charger

Seaman Apprentice

vent open and in the garage or in shade. ive busted a few cans not venting them