Should a used boat come with life vests, lines, bumpers?

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Should a used boat come with life vests, lines, bumpers?

Perhaps straying into the non accessory realm, but when I discovered the bimini that was on the Sea Ray I was selling would fit the Scout, I kept it. The purchaser was warned up front, however, and at no time was the boat ever advertised showing it had a bimini.

hlhneast

Cadet

My son just bought a boat that did come with some life preservers and fenders and I was surprised. Not to hijack the thread but I never knew these would have a service life. Is there a "replace after" date on the preserver somewhere? What would a normal service life be? Thx

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'm not aware of a "service life" either and am not afraid of used or old stuff, within reason. Flares expire; fire extiquishers have a guage on them. My grandfather's anchor is still functioning; I can't find its expiration date.

Back when things like life preservers were made out of canvas and kapok they rotted. The River Cops would yank onthe straps and rip them off, and you'd have to go to the marine store and replace, at $25 each (in 1970's dollars!) I wouldn't worry about PFD's unless they look like they have been in the syn too much or the stitching is pulled--or if they are canvas!

Lines will wear out, too, which is important if you use them for overnight mooring.

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are buying the used boat from a boat dealer you have a very good chance of getting everything. We bought our boat from Marine Max in Lewisville and they threw in all lines, fenders, anchor (w/chain & rope), flar gun, set of 4 orange life vests, brand new $300 boat cover, fire extinguisher....basically everything. Saved us about $450 in having to outfit her to be lake ready.

If you are buying private....I wouldn't count on any of it.

azboater2

Seaman

Well life vests will wear out if they have been in the sun alot or are quite used. They get where they will come apart if you hit the water. Also, as others have said, they must fit. No one likes to wear the orange ones, so if it comes with those through them away and get new ones a Wal-Mart that fit your family for $15 to $30 and wear them. Especially on children, if they don't fit when they hit the water they will slip off over their head.

If you don't plan on ever wearing them then just keep what ever comes with it if any at all, cause when you hit your head on the way out of the boat after an accident, your a gonner anyway if you don't already have the vest on. Please remember, it's called a LIFE vest.

B. Hershey
Technology & Communications Mgr., Yellow Cab Company
KF7BVO - EXTRA, Marine/Aviation/Radar: PG1137634
U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary 11S, D10-F7

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As all have said - depends on the seller. As long as we are dishing out opinions - I sold my first boat with everything included. Didn't figure I'd get another boat for a long time (building a house, etc, etc). 6 months later, I had the bug bad, and went out and bought a cheap boat to get back on the water with. Suddenly, I wished I had kept all my stuff.

Now, I keep everything I can. When the buyer asks, I reply I'm keeping it all for my next boat. If you would like to make me an offer, feel free - but it doens't affect the deal on the boat itself.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I've sold numerous boats, and I've done both. I usually size up the person buying first, and if they are a first time boatowner I'll toss in some basic safety stuff, including a couple life jackets. (not always new gear, but stuff that is still 100% safe and reliable)

I'll go out of my way if someone is a first time boater, up to the point of possibly steering them to a different boat, if mine doesn't actually fit what they will need. (turned down a sale on a small pontoon with a 25hp engine to a couple with a ~8 year old boy. They wanted a dual purpose party boat + something to pull tubers with. This was a trolling only pontoon!)

With new boaters, you have to assume they know NOTHING about boating. They may not even know life jackets are required items. They may think they don't need them, and are only for people that can't swim. I know that's hard to imagine that attitude since we are all boaters, but its fairly common for someone who has never set foot on a boat.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

One more note on PFDs... Older style, the soft puffy ones, are no longer Coast Guard approved. Even if they are brand new, and bright orange, as they can puncture/rupture and take on water. C G approved have solid foam guts. ;):D Dont let the seller use obsolete PFDs as a bargaining chip...........:facepalm:

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it should be a universal requirement for everyone (else) to provide all the pertinent equipment when they sell you a boat. I mean...really...would you buy a car without seatbelts? no.

Everyone (else) SHOULD provide this stuff. :D

That's a pretty specious argument comparing a safety device, seat belts in cars, that has been Federally required for decades to a personally fit item that is NOT required in a new boat sale, much less a used boat sale.

But the reality is that there is no requirement to include anything like a PFD with a new boat sale. True, a lot of dealers will throw in a couple as a bonus to seal the deal, but there is no requirement PFD's are included.

Besides, what if you purchase a used boat and receive two extra small and one XXL PFD's.....and no one in your family wears that size? Going to slam the seller for not providing your needed sizes, then? Or make him run down to Wal-Mart and buy you the sizes and number you need? Seriously?

To be honest, you get what you get when you buy used. And I'll be darned that I give my SOSpenders to the next owner of my current boat when I sell it. I'll give the throw float gladly, and the fenders and one rope, but my personal PFD's stay with me. Sorry. But, then again, I won't advertise the boat includes them, either. And I've pretty much thrown away any used PFD's that I've gotten with used boats.....who knows what kind of shape they're really in until you actually need it to perform and it fails because the nylon cover is rotted, or the filling is water logged, etc.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I'd honestly be afraid to sell a boat with PFD's, safety equipment, and even to some extent with any ropes, if something breaks or a flare doesn't work...... I don't want even a hint of liability.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

That's a pretty specious argument comparing a safety device, seat belts in cars, that has been Federally required for decades to a personally fit item that is NOT required in a new boat sale, much less a used boat sale.

But the reality is that there is no requirement to include anything like a PFD with a new boat sale. True, a lot of dealers will throw in a couple as a bonus to seal the deal, but there is no requirement PFD's are included.

Besides, what if you purchase a used boat and receive two extra small and one XXL PFD's.....and no one in your family wears that size? Going to slam the seller for not providing your needed sizes, then? Or make him run down to Wal-Mart and buy you the sizes and number you need? Seriously?

To be honest, you get what you get when you buy used. And I'll be darned that I give my SOSpenders to the next owner of my current boat when I sell it. I'll give the throw float gladly, and the fenders and one rope, but my personal PFD's stay with me. Sorry. But, then again, I won't advertise the boat includes them, either. And I've pretty much thrown away any used PFD's that I've gotten with used boats.....who knows what kind of shape they're really in until you actually need it to perform and it fails because the nylon cover is rotted, or the filling is water logged, etc.

Ummmm....I thought it was pretty obvious my entire post was sarcastic, hence the "everyone (else)", and my mention of cd and mp3 collections, etc. But hey...slam away, speciously, if it makes you feel better. :D

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Another POV, and it touches on something already said...

Always ask why the seller is selling. If it IS because he's getting out of boating (maybe too old or something), or is moving and can't take the boat, or somesuch thing, then be sure to ask him what else he's got sitting around that he won't need anymore. You might score some free stuff: a paddle, fishing gear, some electronics, maybe even a troller or small OB that were sitting in the back of the garage that he forgot about.