Should a '71 60hp Johnson have water coming from the Tell tale?

bben76

Seaman
I bought a '71 60hp Johnson on a '71 Ebbtide. Had carbs rebuilt, runs great, had it out for 2hrs and ran great whole time. But water never came out of what look like two tell tale holes near the top of the motor. I didn't touch but motor didn't smell or feel hot when cover was removed. <br /><br />Do these models have tell tales? and if it sat for 4 yrs should I replace the impeller?<br /><br />thanx for any help!

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Should a '71 60hp Johnson have water coming from the Tell tale?

YES , Definately change impeller/ rebuild water pump.<br /><br /> The amount of water, out of those two exhaust relief holes, varies.<br /><br /> When motor is warmed up , you should be able to rest your hand on heads, for several seconds, before its too hot for you.<br /><br /> Im not sure, but I dont think your engine has a tell tale.<br /><br /> I think they came out in later models.<br /><br /> Good- Luck,<br /> <br /> KYhunter

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

tanke some weedeater line and clean out those holes. critters like to live in there, and block them. water pump rebuild is never a bad idea, especially if you don't know when it was last done.

bben76

Seaman

Thanx for the info and help KYHunter2 and tashasdaddy.<br /><br />Here is a pic of the two holes that are located on the back of the motor. I have never seen any water come out of them. The mechanic told me when he rebuilt the carbs that he *thought* this motor will spill cooled water from the exhaust (out the prop), I never asked him if he saw any water come from the two holes in the pic when he was running it up. <br /><br />
boat_motor_01.jpg
<br /><br />Also, here is side pic of the bottom of the motor, I *have seen water* come from a couple tiny holes down here.<br /><br />
boat_motor_02.jpg

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same motor you're asking about and had the very same question. I started with a water pump service and ended up taking off the lower unit and checking the water tubes up to the powerhead for blockages also. You will find if you take the shaft housing off, these holes are vented to the cavity of the housing. They seem to act as a pressure relief to keep water off of the bottom of powerhead. I double checked and my motor runs at correct temp (140 if I remember correctly) for about my first dozen trips with a thermocouple and DVM readout. Do make sure your hot alarm works if you are still concerned. <br /><br />Good luck <br />K

bben76

Seaman

I don't think the boat/motor has a hot alarm, there are no instruments/gauges, i.e. not even a speedo. <br /><br />Anyone have a recommendation on an easy to install temp gauge? or how to use a temperature stick? ...or for that matter, where to buy a temperature stick? and where specifically on the motor should the temp be checked? (manual was not very descriptive).<br /><br />guess if nothing else i can check temp with my hand but would rather have a more accurate reading.

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class

There should be a overheat sensor mounted on the head towards the top with a single wire coming out and the buzzer is in the throttle control box. Not sure how to check it without looking at my manual.

bben76

Seaman

karrick - Wel, i found a wire that looks like what you're talking about ...here are some pix, do think this is the wire coming from a temp sensor? does this look similar to your motor?<br /><br />
boat_motor_03.jpg
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />
boat_motor_04.jpg

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Pull the sleeve back on the sender connector and touch the metal to ground with the key on. The motor doesn't need to be running. The alarm should sound.<br /><br />You can install a telltale like you see on newer motors. As I recall there is a 1/8 pipe hole on the top of the head. Get a fitting to screw into it with a little hose barb at a right angle. Drill a hole large enough (1/4" or so) in a rear corner of the pan on the motor (driver's side) and route some aquarium or speedometer hose from the fitting on out the hole.<br /><br />The two larger holes are exhaust pressure relief passages, mostly for when the motor is low in the water (boat not on plane). Water sprays out along with exhaust. They can get clogged with bug nests. Water will spray out until about planing speed. Then they may or may not spray, almost everything goes out the prop then.

bben76

Seaman

Thanx to all for taking the time to give me your thoughts, you all have been a great help.<br /><br />WillyBWright - I did what you recommended, grounded what looks like a temp sender connecter wire (shown in pix above) and did not hear a buzzer. I did hear a faint electrical clicking coming from motor when i grounded the wire. So not sure this is a sender wire. Maybe it doesn't have a temp sensor? <br /><br />Anyone recognize this wire as definately the wire for a temp sensor?

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, I'd say thats the temp switch.<br /><br /> At least it sure looks like one.<br /><br /> If its like the ones I've seen,and worked on. <br /><br /> Inside your remote is a small black horn. This is what you are testing, when you ground the wire.<br /><br /> Apparently it doesn't work. <br /><br /> Remember, even if horn works it doesn't mean your temp. switch is good.<br /><br /> You can add a tell tale.<br /><br /> Just as easy is to add a water pressure guage.<br /><br /> As stated , for hooking up tell-tale. <br /><br /> Instead, run the tubing to a water pressure guage.<br /><br /> Then a temp. guage and your set.<br /><br /> If your temp switch is bad. Its probably as cheap to add temp guage .<br /><br /> The temp. switches are outrageous . The last ones I priced were almost $50.00 a piece.<br /><br /> Then you may need a new horn too.<br /><br /> I'd install the guages and not worry about the temp. switch and horn. MHO<br /><br /> Good-Luck,<br /><br /> KYHunter<br /><br /> One more thing . When you tested the horn . <br /><br /> Did you disconnect the knife connector?<br /><br /> And ground the end that goes to remote , not the temp switch end.<br /><br /> If you did , great . If not try it this way, and see what happens. <br /><br /> Id still want the guages though. :) <br /><br /> Dont forget to rebuild water pump. Four years sitting , will dry out and trash the impeller.<br /><br /> I do mine every 2 years , need it or not.

bben76

Seaman

KYHunter - I'm not sure what the knife connector is. But there is a little piece of rubber around the temp sensor wire right before it goes into the head (see pic), i cut this back and grounded it. So I grounded the end that is closest to the powerhead. <br /><br />Someone mentioned on one of the forums that their temp sensor cuts the motor off when it gets too hot, said they don't have a warning buzzer/horn, wonder if this is true with my motor/boat. might accont for the ticking noise i heard when the wire was grounded. Guess i could fire it up and then ground the wire and see if that shuts the motor down. ever heard of temp sensor that does this?

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

I think that system is on newer motors then yours. <br /><br /> I believe yours is a temp. switch and horn set-up. <br /> <br /> When you pull the rubber back , the metal connector inside , is a knife type connector. <br /><br /> If you grab each end of the conn., and kind of try to bend it in the middle .<br /><br /> You'll see how it works , hard to describe. <br /><br /> Im not sure , but I always disconnect and take the switch , out of the circuit. Then ground end to horn to test horn.<br /><br /> As far as temp. switch , you have to remove it to test. <br /><br /> If your going to get into various tests and repairs , you need to get a manual.<br /><br /> As I said before , IMHO, your best bet is to get a temp. guage and water press. guage.<br /><br /> Rebuild water pump and there ya' go.<br /><br /> Good-Luck,<br /><br /> KYHunter :)

bben76

Seaman

Thanx KYHunter2! Great info, you've been a good help.

craigvalk

Seaman

I have that motor too. There is not a tell tale, and a little bit of spray out those two holes in your photo is about all you will see. <br />Definitely change the impeller, it is good practice. If you have not removed that lower end before, get a manual. It is not difficult but you must disconnect the electric shift wires under the hood, and gently pull those through as you lower the gearcase. And you must route them back up the same way. Don't break the wires if they stick.<br />There is an overheat horn in the control box. It is common for it to fail, so you don't necessarily have overheat protection. I think on some earlier models of that motor there was a red light on the control box instead. I have been thinking of doing away with the horn and installing a red light myself.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

How to add a telltale, courtesy of an earlier post on iboats (you can skip step 1):<br /><br />
telltaleSB.jpg
<br /><br />the location:<br />
reloctt.jpg
<br /><br />note: haven't tried this myself.

bben76

Seaman

Great info jtexas! thanx for passing along. <br /><br />Hey, do you have a service manual for this motor? I have a Clymer manual for it but it sucks. <br /><br />Or do you know where I can find the manaul online in electronic format?<br /><br />Also, do you have any more details on changing the impeller/water pump? I've never owned an outboard before and just want to make sure I do it correctly.<br /><br />Thanx!

fireman57

Captain

Get an OEM manual at kencook.com He has reprints available. No electronic available as it violates copyright laws.