Shorter Cobra question

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
'89 4.3L Cobra<br /><br />If you read my previous post you know that I can't seem to get the measurements correct as per the Stuart/ OMC Service Manual guidelines (the 7 9/16" at engine end). I put a new transom shift cable in, and remote shift cable seems fine as well.<br /><br />Gonna check the shift rod when gasket I ordered comes in, but in the meantime have been adjusting remote cable & transom cable so I can make the boat usable.<br /><br />No problems with hard shifting either way. And I'm at a point where it goes into reverse fine, and goes into forward ok but about every other time it 'kicks' once after engaging forward gear, then it's fine. <br /><br />I know it's not adjusted as per specs cause the 7 9/16" is more like 7 3/4". But at least it's drivable for now, till I pull the drive again & look more closely at the shift rod & bell crank/ shift lever angle (seems like it's gotta be one of those two that are keeping me from getting the 7 9/16". <br /><br />Question is, might that 'kick' when going into forward be from my ad hock adjustments to make it drivable now (e.g., shift rod not engaging forward gear as fully and consistently as it should)? Or, is there a higher probability it's a problem with either forward gear or clutch dog?<br /><br />Any thoughts, even though it's obviously speculation since you can't experience the shifting?

marunr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Shorter Cobra question

I'm trying to remember how the cables hook up...I can't! You'd think after I'd spent so much time studying this "stuart's adjustments page" and doing the adjustment I would remember, but alas...<br /><br />I'm bringing my boat home sometime this week to pull my outdrive and check the adjustments, lubricate the spline and gimble, etc., and then I'll be able to better see what you've been experiencing, but just off the top of my head; wouldn't the 7-3/4" length push the shift rod less than the 7-9/16"? If so, I would think you aren't fully engaging the gear. Sorry I can't help out more right now.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

marunr,<br /><br />I was thinking along the same lines. Thats why I adjusted the remote shift cable to the edge of the fixed ESA override cam instead of in the center of it, thereby lengthening the amount of throw in forward gear. Reverse still works fine.<br /><br />At least it's drivable now, but I'd still like to get it 'right', and will take a look at the shift rod (pull the shift rod cover) next time I pull the drive. <br /><br />Fortunately, with the drive holder I built I can pull the drive by myself in about 10-15 minutes.

marunr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by LakeLivin:<br /> <br /><br />Fortunately, with the drive holder I built I can pull the drive by myself in about 10-15 minutes.
Thanks for the pics on this. I cut the wood for mine and am going to assemble it this weekend (I hope) so I can get started on pulling mine.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Marunr,<br /><br />I hope you measured your drive before you cut. Especially that height is appropriate for drive on your trailor. Height was irrelevent for me (except of course the stand had to be high enough to fit bottom of skeg to cavitation plate). Since I'm working from a platform I ran across the back of my boatdock slip, I can raise or lower the boat with the lift to fit the stand as built. <br /><br />Also, if you happen to have a 3.0 I believe the lower unit 'bullet' is narrower, and you want the width of the opening to be as close to the bullet width as possible given how narrow the cavitation plate is on a Cobra.<br /><br />But once you get it right I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to pull & replace your drive by yourself. Good luck with it!

marunr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, I did measure it...thanks. I have a little adjustment anyway since it's on the trailer.