short or long shaft on my jon boat??

jonboatbassin

Seaman
ok guys, i found a good deal on a 2000 mercury 9.9 but not sure if it will work with my boat, a 14ft flat bottom jon boat. Ive always thought short shafts were good on jon boats but will a long shaft make a difference? I hate to pass up this deal but if its not gonna work I guess I need to. Thanks in advance for the help<br />-adam

jonboatbassin

Seaman
Re: short or long shaft on my jon boat??

man this site gets alot of visitors :eek: <br />...kinda hard to keep a post near the top.<br />if anyone has any help for my problem please post as soon as you can, this deal i found probably wont last long.<br />thanks again- <br />Adam

longdude17

Seaman

yea there is a big deal about it. the problem is that you will have too much motor in the water and this will have a negative effect on performance. For best results the cavitation plate should be relatively even with the bottom of the boat. but if you instist on buying the motor then I recommend trying to build a higher transom on your boat I think that this would be alot cheaper than converting the motor to short shaft

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, LBB.<br /><br />Measure your transom, from top to bottom. <br /><br />If it is about 15", use a short shaft engine or add a jackplate to raise a long shaft engine 5".<br /><br />If your transom is about 20" a long shaft is what you need.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

brent suzkui wyble j16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jonboat.if you find out it is a 15" transom 20" motor a Mini Jacker would work, let me know if that is the rout you would go, i just got one for my boat sealed the wood but found out it will not work for what i wanted to do. will let it go cheap. you can e-mail me @ brent@landstar-agent.com

G DANE

Commander

HI jonboatbassin <br /><br />The motors short 15" og long 20" shaft is designed to each their transom height. Mesure your boat from the over edge of the transom where the motorbracket rests and to the buttom of the keel at transom. If you put a 20" shaft motor on a 15" transom, it will go too deep in water, slowing speed and increasing fuel consumption. If you use 15" shaft on 20" transom, the propeller will probably cavitate ( catch air from surface ) ond you will get nowhere ! Mesure your transom height !!