Shoreline anchoring … how much room?

jmeydenbauer

Seaman Apprentice
I just got back from a 9 day camping trip at Lake Trinity. I own a 20’ Formula Thunderbird with a Cuddy Cabin that has @ 36” of freeboard at the stern. While I was there, I anchored my boat between 2 other boats that were @ 80’ apart which left a nice 40’ space between our boats. I actually took over the space of another boater that was leaving while I pulled up. The water depth was @ 15-20’ where I set my anchor. I had a scope of @ 4 or 5:1 out and the stern was tied to shore. I used an anchor buddy with just enough tension to pull my boat the 10-15’ into shore for loading/unloading. I noticed that the boat on my left didn’t move too much with the wind but my boat and the one on the right would move @ 15’ to one side or the other depending on the wind.<br /><br />Everything was fine for the first 5 days then some other campers decided to anchor their 2 PWC’s between my boat and the boat to my right. They setup 20’ of tarps right along the edge of the water just 3’ away from my shore anchor line. By this time, there were @ 6-7 boats anchored @ 15’ off shore each maintaining a distance of @ 30’ from each other. I should mention that there is plenty of shore access here. There was @ 100 yards of good shoreline from which to anchor if they would have moved over 90’.<br /><br />While the PWC’s were out on the water, I noticed that the boat on my right was knocking into the PWC’s buoy. I saw the owners of the PWC’s and let them know that their PWC’s may hit the other boat because the boats will drift a little with the wind.<br /><br />When I returned from boating, I saw that instead of moving upshore, they moved the PWC’s closer to where my boat was anchored. The boat’s were only @ 5’ away once I was tied up. While eating dinner, I noticed that my boat had drifted that 5’ and my swim step was now hitting one of the PWC’s. I walked up to the owner’s campsite to let him know that our boats were touching and got quite a rude response that his PWC’s weren’t moving and that I needed to tighten my boat up. He told me that I need to share the beach and can’t let my boat drift that much (15’??). I mentioned that the lake has over 140 miles of shoreline and he was the one that was trying to push out other boats that had been anchored up long before he got there. Things got heated and he mentioned that they had 5 more PWC’s coming. I walked away and left the boat how it was. I figured his gelcoat wasn’t going to hurt the SS brackets of my swim step.<br /><br />The next morning, I got up and did tighten up my lines but the boat was still going to drift some. I did have some room to move over to the left but figured that if I gave him more room, they would just add another PWC so I wouldn’t gain anything by moving over. The owner also moved his PWC’s tighter together so the boat wouldn’t hit it.<br /><br />Sure enough, a couple of days later, 4 more PWC’s were moved into that space but they didn’t come any closer to my boat. <br /><br />On the last day I had my boat on the water, a MasterCraft ski boat anchored 10-15’ to the left of my boat. After the argument I had with the PWC owners and since I was pulling my boat out later that day, I wasn’t going to say anything to the owner. <br /><br />My wife and I were at the beach when the Mastercraft tried to anchor up while my boat was drifting (now @ 10’) toward where his boat would be. He came back a little later when my boat settled in and was able to get his boat tied up. Still there was plenty of shore line just 90’ up shore for boats to anchor. I don’t understand why these people felt inclined to bunch up like that. We said hello to the Mastercraft owner as he walked by and he asked if that was our boat he was next to. He apologized for anchoring so close. At least he recognized that he was a little too close.<br /><br />I was wondering, whose fault would it be if a boat got damaged in this incident? I realize the need to share shore access but at the same time, a boat with a lot of freeboard is going to drift more than a PWC or a low profile ski boat.<br /><br />How much room should we give each other while anchoring to shore?

dwci97

Seaman
Re: Shoreline anchoring … how much room?

Sounds pretty typical of the personal watercraft folks. Those guys think that they own the water. Every one of them runs their machine balls out all the time and they dont pay attention to anyone. Every year one of these idiots will get killed just where we boat most of the time. Pay no attention to the idiots that run these type of machines, they no nothing about boating.

Rick Byers

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For dwci97. I am a boat owner I have a cabin Criuser. But I also own 2 PWC'S I am 58 years old and my wife is 53 we ride our ski's with the same respect for other people on the water that we do when we are in the cruiser. I don't appreciate being called an idiot by you or anyone else. So why don't you get off your saintly Alter/Soap box and get to know a PWCer. You may get surprised. Most of us are nice folks that are labled as some kind of outlaw by people like you that haven't taken the time to get to know us. I will agree there are some bad attitudes that ride PWC's but I also know some Boaters that are just as bad or worse. Rick

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

dwci97, I too am a boat owner, and have also ridden jet skis for the last 12 years! I really don't appreciate your prejudice attitude, and lumping me in with what I have found to be the few that give pwc's a bad name. I have taken many classes and safety courses and would not be afraid to put my boating knowledge up against yours when ever you would like! Where do you get off being so bold as to call me an idiot when you know NOTHING about me? I will say that your narrow minded post in this thread has given me an idea of your intelligence though!<br /><br />Bigbird, I am sorry for getting off topic on your thread, but this mentality about jet skis is just getting soooooo old! I am also sorry to hear of your frustrations on your camping trip. Unfortunately it seems these days you run into more and more inconsiderate people, the "ME" generation! I might also add that in a campground situation, people tend to try to anchor in close proximity to their camp site. A lot of these people are trailer boaters that are not used to leaving their boats in the water unattended. They are not real comfortable with the idea and want to be able to keep an eye on it. I have also been crowded, and even blocked in once by people anchoring behind me!

dwci97

Seaman

**** and Bix,<br /><br /> You two need to lighten up and not get your panties in such a bunch. Most pwc operators have no regard for anyone else on the water. Watch how they follow a large craft to do nothing but jump the wake and land in the way of other large boats. Deny it all you want, but MOST pwc operators are very careless with their machines.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Off topic a little,but.. 2 years ago while on a dive, we had a dive flag out on on a float attatched to the boat,app. 100 ft from the boat.several pwc opperaters where using it as pillon( going as fast and close to it as possible while turning). Some divers attatch the float to themselves while under water.The reason for these flags is to notify boaters of divers down, and to stay away.I realize all pwc opperators are not idiots,but if it where you under water while this going on would you feel comfortable around them?<br /><br /> :mad: Jim

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

I disagree! I will say there are some that have no business being on the water, just as some boaters don't. However, MOST pwc riders today, are as safety minded as MOST boaters. Sure, you are going to have your reckless teenagers, but that gives you no right to group us all in with them! <br /><br />Also, maybe you wear panties, but I prefer underwear!

J.R dUNHAM

Recruit

dwci is right..everyone and their mother goes out and buys these thing becuase thier fast and easy to use. my 7 yr old daughter can ride one.. but it takes more know how and balls to go and buy a boat and dock it, anchor it, fix it etc.... here in new york for that reason you must have a license to operate them... their like pizza places, their a dime a dozen.....

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

You now must have license in almost every state. It was not that way when pwc's got the bad rap they have. So far as easy to use, have you ever ridden one? (skillfully) I guess by your comments, you feel these things require no maintenance also? On another note, I hope your boating etiquette, is better then your posting etiquette is with your colorful language!

phatmanmike

Captain

is anybody gonna answer the origonal question? id like to know the answer myself

J.R dUNHAM

Recruit

theres a diffrence from riding and riding!! skillfully is one thing..i live on the great south bay and there everywhere.. my brother-in-law works at a dealership and he's backed up with more jet ski's getting serviced then anything.. the general owner does not fix them himself.. as for the colorful language remark, i didnt know balls would break you down and hit the confession booth.. you sound pretty nasty yourself and i'm sorry you feel that way. keep posting... and it's general courtesy to respect anchoring of diffrent boats.. we all anchor in the bay here and leave plenty of room to swing. it's up to everyone to work it out and "use common sense" and you wear underwear becuase you wifes panties are too big.... little sdvice....keep your posting to the topic and not bashing people...you must have gotton beat up alot as a kid huh..i just love people on the intermet who hide behind a computer screen.. it;s one thing to respond to my post , it's another to add wise remarks... god bless....

J.R dUNHAM

Recruit

i have almost a hundred post here too, i'm using a diffrent name so if your bashing me becuase you think i "3 posts old" relax.....

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

to original post: BigBird, you may have to invest in a couple (or more) of the larger round fenders. They're used for rafting boats together up here where there may not be as much room, and work quite well keeping boats from banging into each other.<br /><br />As to the PWC thing....I know there are responsible PWC operators...because all of them claim to be, and so they must be right. Riiigggt. Alas, a preponderance of PWC operators appear to drop significant IQ points the moment they straddle the saddle. Every states' annual boating statistics show that PWCs have an accident rate far out of proportion to their number. That ain't bias, kids. Those are facts.

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dunham, your nothing but a troll. Bringing my wife into your arguments with me! Who is hiding, as I bet you would never say anything like that to my face! No wonder you had to change your name! Grow up, and follow your own advice, nobody asked you into the pwc thing, you came in on your own!

KCLOST

Commander

The problem with PWC's in my opinion is simple....<br /><br />The are designed for one reason, to "play around on". The can go very fast, they look fast, they can fly in the air, they can do 360's, 180's, even dive under water. You see them racing on TV with the same models that everyone on the lake has. So "most" (not all, but many) of the owners of them are going to do at least a few of the things they are capable of.<br /><br />The're not fishing platforms, or party barges. So you have to ride them to get any use out of them. Hence, it's likely that you're going to see the jumps, 360's, and fast speeds when many owners do so.<br />That's the problem with them, they are made for that kind of driving. What gets me all annoyed about them is when one ends up doing 360's in the same spot for and hour and a half. When I'm fishing less than a hundred yards away.<br /><br />So I'll be honest and say that I don't care for them much, because I'm a fisherman.<br />It's in my nature to dislike any other boat or watercraft in the water besides mine.<br /><br />I just wish more of the drivers of these things would realize how dangerous they can be. Because I see too many of them going like bats out of hell.<br /><br />A woman just died last weekend at my home lake(Smithville) last weekend on one of them. Ran right into the front of another boat.

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer

I will say that, although there are some responsible drivers of PWC's, there are in the minority however. After 20 years in the CG, I could make you gag with statistics. <br /><br />What is true is that "most" boaters seem to know to more about being on the water than PWC'ers. Now, don't get me wrong, there are PLENTY of idiots on boats too, we call them Job Security. But, the main difference is that anyone can drive a PWC, not everyone can drive a boat. In addition, being on a boat is not JUST knowing how to master it, there is much more to it than that. There are rules of the road, etiquette, courtesy, respect for other boaters. In this category, PWC'ers fail miserably.<br /><br />I am reminded of a case I worked a few years ago in Long Island Sound. Family out for a nice ride on a Sunday, going to anchor in a popular spot and meet some friends. Mom, Dad, 3 kids. Dad drops the anchor and seeing that it is not grabbing (depth of water is 5 feet), decides to jump in right off the bow and seat it properly. There were approx 20 boats anchored all in the vicinity, so he figured he was safe. Well, a waverunner came by at open throttle WAY too close to the boats, rider got nervous, lost control a little, and decapitated the man anchoring his boat, in front of his whole family. See, that kid was prob a GREAT rider of his PWC, but failed miserably in the other categories of boating.<br /><br />Since then, I have been to meetings in my town to outlaw them on my lake because I tube/ski with my kids, and we have some "idiots" on PWC's. All I see is my daughter falling off the skis and having this moron go by. Hazard of the job I guess, I have seen allot of bad things unfortunately. By the way, I have used PWC's many, many times, and I loved it. But as with everything there is the right place, right time, and in this case, the right operator for everything.

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

In looking back on this topic of pwc, I guess it could be that the authorities have not come down as hard in your area as in mine! If anything, they go overboard here, but I guess that is why our pwc riders are much more compliant then what I am reading here. If your on a pwc, and want to jump a wake from a boat, you better be sure ALL of your distances are correct, or you will be cited. Any unsafe act reported to our fish/boat patrol is pursued immediately. No warnings are given, it is all citations. I belong to a boat club on the river, one of many in our area, and news of citations and accidents gets around real fast! We have had no accidents on our rivers involving pwcs for 3 years, our biggest problem is boating DUI. Again, they don't play though, last year we had a boat club owner loose his boating privileges for 3 years for being observed taking a drink while underway in a no wake zone! Again could be looked at as going overboard so far as enforcement, in fact I have felt that way, but looking at the complaints you people are showing, I guess I would rather have the authorities being overzealous, then to have to put up with what you are describing.<br /><br />Bigbird, once again, I apologize for the direction this thread has taken, I am a major cause of it. I don't know what else to say to answer your question. People are people, you have your good ones that are considerate and thoughtful of others, and you have the ones that think only of themselves. Unfortunately, you seem to have run into a bad batch.

Rick Byers

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Afew last words from me. If you notice on my post I use my God Given Legal name on this board and the others that I visit. So I don't hide from anyone anyplace. I can be found most weekends either on Lake Berryessa Ca. or the Sacramento delta either on my Sea Doo GTX-4tecSC or my BlueWater Cruiser. If you see me flag me down I always have an extra Pepsi or 2 on board. No hard feeling just get tired of people grouping all PWC riders/Owners in the same group. Think PWC's are bad try being on the river when a bunch of beer gusling go fast be loud want to look like Reggie Fountain boater are out and about. Scarey as hell had one almost land on front deck of my cruiser on the delta. Rick

phatmanmike

Captain

lets ditch the talk about PWC's and answer the ORIGONAL question.... remember that one, how to anchor properly at shorline with other boats around and how much room should we leave....<br /><br /><br />your a bunch of trolls