Shoot-thru hull transducer for aluminum

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class
I see that they are now making a shoot-thru hull transducer for aluminum boats. Supposedly works as well as the ones for fiberglass boats, etc.<br /><br />Does anyone have any experience with ones of these? Was wondering if it is worth buying one or not.<br /><br />Thanks!

lowe160

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Shoot-thru hull transducer for aluminum

They are called alumaducer and they work great and are very easy to install.<br /><br />Wayne

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Transducers are sonic devices. I used them in aluminum boats years ago and had no problems, plus reception was great. One would think that metal would transmit/receive sound better than glass.<br /><br />Don't know what's in the new ones; maybe just a marketing ploy, or maybe something to them. Possibly they tweaked the frequency of the transducer to a frequency that resonates with aluminum better.<br /><br />Mark

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Air & water are both great transmitters of sound, but sound waves just don't make the transition very well. <br /><br />Apparently they have some amplification circuitry to compensate for signal loss. Wonder if you can get a water temp reading - the metal will certainly conduct temperature better than fiberglass...hm...

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, they say on their website "The AlumaDucer™ is the world’s only depth finder / fish finder transducer designed to transmit through Aluminum with ZERO signal loss." <br /><br />Looking deeper, it also requires an adapter to match your plug with theirs (at additional cost). And, on the fishfinder models that this transducer works with, most all lose the ability for temperature reading. There are a some fishfinders that they say require a certain accessory cable in order to read temperature which I think is nothing more than a stand-alone temperature probe that connects to your fishfinder. <br /><br />To sum it up, the fishfinders that work with this transducer won't have a temperature reading unless you can connect a separate temperature probe. Seems this transducer cannot read temperature at all. I can connect a separate temperature probe to mine although at their website they say mine will lose temperature reading period and no accessory cable is available that will allow mine to use this transducer and still have temperature reading.<br /><br />Seems to me it is more trouble that it is worth. I wouldn't mind having one but if it doesn't give me all of my functions without adding another cable then I guess I'll just stick with what I have now.....the old external transom transducer.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

On the temp sensor, Aluminum is one of the best thermal conductors. Other than the epoxy to glue it to the hull (course all of them have epoxy somewhere even if it's only to hold the piezo crystal to the mount.....in the case of brass ones) so you should be able to read pretty accurate temp; however it would be more of an average temp since the hull was doing the sensing and would take longer to adjust to the ambient water temp.<br /><br />Epoxy's can be filled with all kinds of things and if filled with aluminum powder, do a great job of thermal transfer.<br /><br />So on the inboard mount, it depends upon where the thermal sensor is located in the transducer element and what kind of epoxy you use to mount it, and whether the transducer is brass or epoxy.<br /><br />Now back to sound transfer. When is the last time you dropped a pair of pliers on the bottom of a fiberglass boat; an aluminum boat with no carpet, wood flooring, or other sound deadening material? <br /><br />Mark

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Texasmark:<br /> Now back to sound transfer. When is the last time you dropped a pair of pliers on the bottom of a fiberglass boat; an aluminum boat with no carpet, wood flooring, or other sound deadening material? <br /><br />Mark
:) It's been about 25 years...but I can still hear the sound echoing in my head.

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Hi lowe160.<br /> Could you let me know who sells these Alumaducer? and a contact # or email address<br /><br /> thanks in advance. Claude :)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Me too on the pliers. That's what is amazing about my current boat. It is an aluminum BB but has the bottom foamed and carpets on the deck. Can hardly tell it from a fiberglass other than the fact that it is much lighter and rides rougher.....but handles easier.<br /><br />Mark