Shoe string budget. Looking for reliability. Motor-19' Key West. I need your opinion

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Shoe string budget. Looking for reliability. Motor-19' Key West. I need your opi

The 6 cyl. carbed motors are also great runners and reliable. It all depends on how they were cared for and maintained as stated above. I would stay away from the Ficht series, OMC's first attempt at fuel injection. Fewer and fewer shops support them now, and the diagnostic equipment is beyond the budget minded DIYer.

chrisnj

Seaman
Re: Shoe string budget. Looking for reliability. Motor-19' Key West. I need your opi

This one is not a ficht. I was told to stay away from those.
At least I am pretty sure it is not a ficht because when I pulled up the parts list on this the first thing I saw was the carb assembly.

So, I am going to get time and some old timer help on this one on monday.
Its been sitting about 3 years, but was supposedly running good before that.
I'll bring a compression tester, battery, starter fluid, carb cleaner, 2 cycle oil, and some PB blaster and HORNET KILLER.

Last time I started something that hadn't been run in years I pulled the plugs and squirted oil in the cylinders to prevent scoring.
If I get there early I can do this.

Maybe I should bring a set up plugs incase the ones on it are shot. Are the el cheapos (autolite $2)OK for these?

Do these motors have a cap and rotor like a car? Are they cheap like on a car?

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

Forget the starter fluid, verrrrry bad for 2 strokes. No distributer on those motors, they have power pack(s) and coils. Power packs differed in different years, may be 1 or 2 of them. Each cyl should have it's own coil. A shot of fogging oil in each spark plug hole and turning engine over by hand before trying to start is a good idea. Use the factory recommended spark plugs. If it's been sitting a few years, the carbs will probably need to be disassembled, thoroughly cleaned and rebuild kits installed. Spraying carb cleaner in them or adding it to the fuel won't do it. It may start with the gummed up carbs but run poorly. Check compression, very important indicator of general condition inside the cylinders, all cyls. should be within 5% of each other, ideally. Actual PSI is less important as long as it's above 110 or so. Different gauges will give different readings, sometimes by a lot. USE 50:1 PREMIXED FUEL!! I'll send you a PM about a 90 hp I have available.

chrisnj

Seaman

OK. So I should bring fogging spray, new plugs, a compression guage, 2 cycle oil and and a 2 gallon tank of fuel.
Pull plugs, spray fogging oil, check plugs and spacing.

Compression should be above 110 and within 6 psi from each other.

I like to spray down the old plug wires with wd-40 to remove moisture and rejunate them a bit.

And don't even bother with carb cleaner?
I'll get back to on PM.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those compression #s would be ideal, within 10% is considered acceptable by most people.
Spraying carb cleaner into the carb throats won't get to the internal passages and jets which is where the problems usually are. They need to be disassembled to clean them. The motor may start and run poorly with gummed up carbs, you may need to use the primer to keep it running. This can be a bargaining chip in your favor, a porly running motor is worth less.
Check th lower unit gear oil for milkiness or metal chips. Milky means water has gotten into it and the gearcase should be resealed. Some fine metal flakes are normal, large chips or chunks are not good.
See if the owner can document when the last time the water pump was replaced, especially important in salt water motors. If the motor has sat for a few years, consider replacing it anyway.
I usually budget for carb rebuilds, water pump, and gear oil replacement as a minimum on any used motor.
The WD-40 is a good idea.

Happy hunting, you may find a motor that just needs the normal maintenance items to be in shape.

chrisnj

Seaman

OK. So, I bought the Johnson 100hp Commercial motor for $100. The pictures are above. The cylinders turn freely with the plugs off and the intakes make a little honky moan as the air gets pulled in. It sounded smooth and felt smooth.
I wasn't able to test compression.
I was not able to get the lower end screw off to inspect the gear oil. I have that soaking in PB blaster.
I know it needs a starter.
I was able to scavenge a red plug connector and a starter switch off another motor they had laying around.
I plan on inspecting that gear oil before I put any money? into it.
Does anyone know any tips or links on resurecting this thing?

Chris1956 I'm sending you a PM.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

What year was the 100?

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

Oh if I were you I would start a new thread with current motor and problems. It will get more attention