Shocks

merc850

Commander
Here's the "lowdown" on the Mercury shock system and those always breaking reed valves for those older motors.
reeds&shocks.jpg

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
In all my years(45+) and thousands of engines worked on I can count on both hands the bad reed/s found on a Inline motor...reed block labyrinth seal and V6' reeds is a different story

merc850

Commander
In all my years(45+) and thousands of engines worked on I can count on both hands the bad reed/s found on a Inline motor...reed block labyrinth seal and V6' reeds is a different story
I haven't worked on that many motors but I haven't encountered any broken ones, I don't understand why so many people lead-off with that possibility when it's usually fuel supply/carbs!
I added the breaking part as a goof.
:rolleyes:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I'll add this. When Merc decided to add power trim to their engines, those mounting points for the shocks came in mighty handy. I had an 850 with PTT and the hydraulic cylinders replaced the shocks, perfect fit. I bought it new back in the mid 70's as I recall. One of the finest engines I ever had....easiest to start....or maybe it was because I boated a lot back then and with frequent running they are easier to start.

Mercury engine testing at Lake X, Florida had many wild tales about horrible (engine) abuse/testing to make Mercury what it is today.

merc850

Commander
Best invention for boating, here's my setup even the limit switch is set to prevent trim too far (before I replaced the decals)
850-bkgnd2.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Actually Mark, only the lower shock mounts were used for power trim. A PTT bracket bolted to the upper shock mount, to allow for bolt up of the top of the longer and thicker hydraulic cylinders .

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Actually Mark, only the lower shock mounts were used for power trim. A PTT bracket bolted to the upper shock mount, to allow for bolt up of the top of the longer and thicker hydraulic cylinders .
Ok. I didn't go into the subject mentally at the time. Just seemed to be what they did which made a lot of sense to me....course I liked the between the transom brackets later models used better for when you are up and running and hit a submerged object.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The early PTT units were a way of installing PTT on motors that were not designed for it. Hence the boat-mounted motor/pump/reservoir and hydraulic hoses.

They were overly large, but had one advantage that was engineered out of the newer units. With the older units, you could trim the motor to any point you wanted.

The newer units will only trim to the length of the trim rods. Of course that is almost always enough.