Shipping boat on trailer - on truck RI to TX

zatara

Recruit
I am shipping a 1989 17' centerboard sailboat on its trailer - on a truck 2000 miles... by an auto hauler who will be expecting to pick up a sailboat on a trailer. Driver will secure the boat trailer to the hauling truck... not the boat to the hauling truck. I am responsible for securing the boat to boat trailer and packing gear.

Boat used on a mooring. I have never used the boat trailer other than as a winter stand - the boat yard puts the boat in and out of water using a traveler suitable for 50' + boats... and it winters on its stand. Boat was delivered to me in the water.

I have read everything I can find online about shipping boats... and still have questions.

Cuddy has locking doors and everything (except Danforth anchor - staying in RI) is wrapped in dense foam and nothing will move around. I plan to wrap the mast in carpet (carpet side in) and secured with some ... yet to be decided combo of duct tape, strapping tape, industrial wire ties (nylon), and rope. 4HP Johnson (drained) to be secured to a padded board, wrapped in more foam, and packed into the cuddy - lying on its side. Boat has a Fulton motor mount.

1989 EZloader trailer was stored indoors for 16 years and does not have a chain to secure the boat to the trailer. Trailer has 3rd wheel. Trailer does NOT have a secondary chain to be back-up attachment of boat to trailer.

Here are my questions:
1) How should I attach mast to the boat? I have been told that NOT attaching it to the boat usually results in damage to it or total loss. I have the motor mount as an additional option for something to which it can be tied to secure it to the boat. Is that a good or bad idea?
2) Is the motor OK on its side - just drained?
3) Do I pack 3rd wheel in locked cuddy or mount it to the trailer tongue - using what materials? Other thoughts?
4) Suggestions for securely attaching boat to winch & boat trailer at bow. From Bow loop to ______?
5) I am replacing the 20 yr old black rubber bow roller with a new polypropylene one. The hull should be snug to the roller for shipment?
6) Have 3" wide woven ratched belt for holding the end of the boat to the trailer. What if anything do I put between the belt and the hull? I presume I use strapping tape over the buckle to guarantee it does not unlatch?
7) Normally trailer tongue would be HITCHED TO a vehicle towing it and the towing vehicle would provide the "contact with the ground" -keeping the the trailer tongue parallel to the ground. What - if anything - do I need to provide to be the 3rd point of contact with "ground"... the bed of the hauling truck?
8) I plan to put paste wax on the hull to collect the bugs and make bug removal easier.
9) What did I fail to see as an issue that needs attention?

Yes, this is a lovely boat - worthy of surviving its truck ride. Thank you. Z

Last edited: