Shipping 9.9 Outboard?

Johnnielund

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would like some information on how to ship a 1988 9.9 HP Johnson & tank to another part of the country. Who to contact, how to pack etc.<br />Thank You All

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Shipping 9.9 Outboard?

If it will weigh more than 70 lbs. boxed, forget about FedEx or UPS. Contact the nearest freight company. I had good luck with ABF, the green truck guys.

TinCanDo

Recruit

My dad sent me a 9.8 merc. he shipped the power head in 1 box and the leg in the other. He used UPS. However they wouldnt send the fuel tank air since it was used.

ZmOz

Captain

UPS/Fedex are fine up to 150lbs. I've currently got a 140hp inline 6 on it's way fedex...120 lbs. I don't know how much a 9.9 weighs, but it will be considerably less than my inline 6. I've found that Fedex is usually cheaper on heavier packages...

phatmanmike

Captain

i used ups , they shipped my nissan 8hp to washignton state from florida. it was only 46 bucks. just find a big box, stuff it with LOTS of newspaper and old cardboard and be on your way

D

DJ

A 140 HP in line six that ways 120 pounds? :eek: <br /><br />See if any dealers in you area have any shipping boxes from new engines of similar size. Fed Ex ground is the cheapest.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> A 140 HP in line six that ways 120 pounds? :eek: <br />
What's weird about that?

D

DJ

It's weird because it's impossible. Maybe just the powerhead or the lower unit. Not the complete outboard.<br /><br />That engine weighs at least 250.

ZmOz

Captain

The powerhead weighs 120. ;) Actually a little less than that, because that includes packaging. I'll email you the tracking number if you'd like to see Fedex tell you that...

D

DJ

Aha, you didn't say, just the powerhead.

phatmanmike

Captain

powerhead actuall weighs in at an even 100 pounds. 99 if you wanna be technical. ask clams canino. just add propper packaging and there's your 120

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If you ship with a freight company like ABF, completely enclose the motor in a plywood box, and examine and declare damage in writing before accepting delivery.