Ship high in transit... educational

NOSLEEP

Commander
In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by<br />ship and it was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so large<br />shipments of manure were common. It was shipped dry, because in dry form<br />it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it<br />not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of<br />which a by product is methane gas.<br /> <br /> As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could<br />(and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first<br />time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM! Several ships<br />were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was<br />happening.<br /> <br /> After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term<br />"Ship High In Transit" on them which meant for the sailors to stow it<br />high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the<br />hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of<br />methane.<br /> <br /> Thus evolved the term "S.H.I.T " (Ship High In Transport) which has<br />come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.<br /> <br />If you didnt know, now you do. :rolleyes:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Ship high in transit... educational

Well, there you go.......

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just so that everyone knows, you might wanna let them know that's a joke, NOSLEEP. Snopes has a good write-up on that, as usual.

sangerwaker

Commander

Sounded logical though! Talk about BS :p

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Never to old to learn something new!!!! ;) :cool:

KaGee

Admiral

Well I be! You really stepped in it this time! :D

KaGee

Admiral

Was that acronymn invented around the same time as Fornicating Under the Consent of the King??? :eek: <br /><br /> :D

SCO

Lieutenant

THat reminds me of the origin of one of our favorite hostile expressions. For back ground youneed to understand that Yew was a material of the middle ages bow. Apparently the French would cut off the middle finger of the English archers if captured, preventing them from "plucking yew" in future conflicts. From then on prior to conflicts with the French the English archers would show the French their intact middle fingers and declare that they were still able to "pluck yew". ;)

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

This <br />sorry piece of codswallop about exploding ships appears to have begun its Internet life in February 2002.<br /><br />The word s.h.i.t entered modern English language derived from the Old English nouns scite and the Middle Low German schite, both meaning "dung," and the Old English noun scitte, meaning "diarrhea." Our most treasured cuss word has been with us a long time, showing up in written works both as a noun and as a verb as far back as the 14th century. <br /><br />Scite can trace its roots back to the proto-Germanic root skit-, which brought us the German scheisse, Dutch schijten, Swedish skita, and Danish skide. Skit- comes from the Indo-European root skheid- for "split, divide, separate," thus **** is distantly related to schism and schist. (If you're wondering what a verb root for the act of separating one thing from another would have to do with excrement, it was in the sense of the body's eliminating its waste — "separating" from it, so to speak. Sort of the opposite of today's "getting one's s.h.i.t together.") <br /><br /><br />Courtesy of snopes.com

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wonder who makes all these things up and emails them first? Why can't virus writers just write things like this and get their kicks this way watching them spread instead of clogging up our servers all the time? These things take far more skill to get people to believe them and spread them... ;)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

NO, I won't believe it! The ship story is far cooler. lowsy snopes! :(

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

The ship story IS much cooler. Too bad it is a load of horse....Ship-High-In-Transit.<br /><br /> :D :D :D

achris

More fish than mountain goat

So, I've been had! NOSLEEP, you's in big do dos!

NOSLEEP

Commander

Actually Chris I never checked it out.<br />It sounded logical to me too.