Shingles

FLATHEAD

Commander
Not a big fan of all these vaccines and flu shots especially after the Covid fiasco. But if you haven’t got the shingles vaccine you should get it. Stuff ain’t no joke. Last week I had unbearable pain in my abdomen and back. So much so I went the ER. Turns out it was shingles. The doc was able to detect the rash that was just starting to appear. Lucky me I have the rash and also have internal shingles, something I never heard of. Feels like pulled muscles times 10. You don’t want this. Get the shot!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Yup, a neighbor buddy of mine had them and he was miserable. I got the shot several years ago and when they came out with the new double shot version, I got that too. Life is too short to be miserable!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Had it, was lucky, just a bad poison ivy like rash across my waist and back. Uncomfortable esp trying to sleep, but wasn't painful.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
My dad had shingles and it lasted for years and changed his life in a bad way.

I got the Shingrix vaccine as soon as I was eligible. It's about 97% effective in preventing shingles. It's crazy not to get it.

aspeck

Staff member
Wife got hers and is bugging me to get mine ... just haven't gotten a round tuit yet ...

FLATHEAD

Commander
Had it, was lucky, just a bad poison ivy like rash across my waist and back. Uncomfortable esp trying to sleep, but wasn't painful.
I hear ya. My rash is not a big issue. It’s the internal pain that’s bad, really bad. Deep inside my back and gut. As soon as I get over this and am eligible to get the vaccine I’m getting it, because you can get shingles again. This coming from a guy that’s never even got a flu shot in his life. Think I’ll get the pneumonia vaccine as well, I’m at that age.

jbcurt00

Staff member
There are a few stand out times when I've been extremely lucky. Mild Shingles is top 5.

jessica1994

Recruit
Not a big fan of all these vaccines and flu shots especially after the Covid fiasco. But if you haven’t got the shingles vaccine you should get it. Stuff ain’t no joke. Last week I had unbearable pain in my abdomen and back. So much so I went the ER. Turns out it was shingles. The doc was able to detect the rash that was just starting to appear. Lucky me I have the rash and also have internal shingles, something I never heard of. Feels like pulled muscles times 10. You don’t want this. Get the shot!
I caught mine fairly early- I went to the doctor within 3 days of the rash breaking out. They put me on some strong anti-viral medication, I took 4 days off of work and rested. It can come back but so far, so good. My experience wasn’t nearly what they show on tv and I was told because I was able to catch it early, it wouldn’t be too terrible.

Buster53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Get the vaccine. Shingles is not something anyone should have to suffer with and in many cases, the word suffer is an understatement. I’ve seen too many friends and family get it and they are miserable and not just for a few days. My wife had it on her face and it affected one eye. While fighting the infection, she had to make a number of visits to her eye doctor for treatment.
GET THE VACCINE!