Shimming Bearing Cover DP-SM / SX-M

boatime

Recruit
I am getting ready to fix the bearing cover on my dp-sm outdrive.... The previous owner stripped the dipstick threads. I’m going to order the new bearing cover and gasket, but I have a question about the shimming process. Manual says to add .04 in. Of shims to get the first feeler gauge measurement. It looks like the only option is to purchase 4 separate .01 in. Shims individually off the vp website. Seems kind of silly to waste 50 bucks on shims that won’t stay in the transmission. Is there another way? How have you done it? Is there An easier way?

thanks

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am getting ready to fix the bearing cover on my dp-sm outdrive.... The previous owner stripped the dipstick threads. I’m going to order the new bearing cover and gasket, but I have a question about the shimming process. Manual says to add .04 in. Of shims to get the first feeler gauge measurement. It looks like the only option is to purchase 4 separate .01 in. Shims individually off the vp website. Seems kind of silly to waste 50 bucks on shims that won’t stay in the transmission. Is there another way? How have you done it? Is there An easier way?

thanks
I was in the same 'boat' as you...
I had stripped threads but didn't want the expanse and trouble of shimming a new cover.

I cleaned and degreased the cover, applied JB Weld around the circumference, and tap with new treads.
It seems solid.
I did that a month ago, so didn't try it yet, but I'm confident it will be ok.

Before / After

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

boatsaltfun

Cadet
I stripped my starboard dipstick threads (DPS). This is a common problem with Volvos. After a lot of research, I decided to have a machine shop insert a Time-Sert, which is a much stronger and better solution than a Heli-Coil. I had both drives done at the same time and it was well worth it.

chap350

Recruit
I was in the same 'boat' as you...
I had stripped threads but didn't want the expanse and trouble of shimming a new cover.

I cleaned and degreased the cover, applied JB Weld around the circumference, and tap with new treads.
It seems solid.
I did that a month ago, so didn't try it yet, but I'm confident it will be ok.

Before / After

View attachment 334647

View attachment 334648

View attachment 334649
You mentioned in another post (https://forums.iboats.com/threads/sx-m-bearing-cover-with-stripped-dipstick-hole.751618/) that the thread is a 1/2-13. This is incorrect. The thread is a M12x2. Hopefully your fix is still working - I'm going to weld the dipstick ports closed on my two covers.

harringtondav

Commander
I converted from Merc Alpha II to VP SX-D recently. I haven't had the hood up yet, but have a good idea of VP's shimming/preload intent.
I assume items #2 below are what you need to dial in to get correct preload/clearance between the upper shaft and cover. (?) ...guessing it is a slight preload.
Also assuming the preload was correct with the old cover and the final shim stack is in place, and this started with a total shim stack of .040". Likely VP has you then set the cover on the shaft/shims and measure the clearance between cover and housing, then adjust the shims to get a required clearance.
If so, I'd start by setting measuring the existing shim height, and set your new cover on the old shims and see if there is clearance, and how much. ....you may get lucky and be in spec, or close to it. If you have clearance you only need to purchase the shims you need to meet spec. If no clearance, buy one .010 shim to see where you are and swap shims, or buy a second to get spec.
..basically the same process with the Alpha, except pulling a bearing race and doing rolling torque checks.
DP-SM shims.JPG