Shifting Rod Height Adjustment 1976 85 HP Johnson Model #85ETLR76G

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I posted about a pontoon we bought a while back, the 85 hp Johnson on the pontoon now is just too much trouble to get running right. I just can't seem to get it to stop backfiring through the exhaust. I have another 85 hp Johnson that does run good, this one on the pontoon now doesn't. The reason I haven't changed out the engines is the extra engine will shift into forward or reverse, but not without adjusting the shifting cable each time. I can get either forward or reverse, not both.

The fellow I bought the engine from messed with the shifting rod when he put the new impeller in the motor. Can someone tell me how to adjust the rod so I can get both forward and reverse. The engine is a 1976 85 hp Johnson Model #85ETLR76G. I know the height of the rod, I just don't know from where to where to measure.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Does the item on shift rod heights on the engine FAQs board answer your question ?

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did a search but didn't check FAQ, I actually didn't know there was a FAQ section. Thanks for the heads up, I will see if I can find it.

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Vic, while there I found an absolute wealth of information, not only did I find what I wanted about the rod adjustment, I found answers to most of my other problems. Thank you so much for telling me about the FAQ.

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Well I am back to square one again, I adjusted the shift rod today to 21 13/32" center line of hole to case half, this is almost 1/2 inch higher than it was to start with. There aren't many threads holding the top screw deal on. I have looked everywhere I can think of, to recheck the measurements, but for the life of me I can not find them again. The measurements I found the first time said 21 13/32 + or _ 1/32. The only other one I have found after several hours searching said 21 13/16 - 21 7/8 inch, that will not work, there aren't enough threads to make that adjustment.

Attachments

• photo228030.jpg
    photo228030.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I would assume the 85 hp gearcase is setup the same as the 135 for that year. My 1976 135 manual really does not indicate any measurement for the shift rod height. The only comment regarding that shift rod height is: "Thread the shift rod connector onto shift rod until seated, then back off two or more full turns until the offset faces forward. See figure 6-45."

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
emdsapmgr, that may be right, I do know the connector was screwed much further in than it is by the 21 13/32" measurement. The part that has me shook is the specs said + or _ 1/32 inch tolerance, that is pretty darn close.

A friend of mine said it had to be in gear, (he though reverse), before making the adjustment. I know it is like pulling teeth trying to find anything online about it. Once I do find out, I will post it here so some other poor fellow looking may find it.

I do appreciate your help, I believe I will put it in gear and adjust like you say and see what it measures then. Thanks again.

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just found out I have to have a special tool to set the height of the coupling, the tool normally sells for $400 but is on sale for $289.00 right now. OMC tool #389997, not in this life time, I will just wing it trial and error.

I do sincerely appreciate all of your help. If I can figure it out or find another way I will post it here to help someone else. Thanks again.

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I went ahead and put the foot back on today. I looked close at the other engine I have that did shift right. I saw where the grease had built up where the connector had stopped so I adjusted this one the same distance. We will see after I get the carbs back on if it is right.

One thing I am concerned about is the tubes that go in the top of the water pump were easy to move around, I am afraid they may not have slide back into the two holes in the top of the water pump. If I put muffs on the motor and don't crank it, and I take the preformed rubber hoses loose will water come out there if the tubes are in the right place? If not how do I check to know they are in the right place, I sure don't want to burn the motor up now.

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am very please to say that is the way to adjust the shift rod, I got it all hooked up today and it shifts into forward and reverse like a champ. I fired the engine up and tried it that way, worked great. I can not begin to thank emdsapmgr enough, that is the correct adjustment on the 85 hp Johnson engines also. All who gave their time and shared their experience, I truly thank you. The motor is running great, not over heating and is shifting perfectly.

Jim