Shifting Issue alpha 1 Gen 1

Mommatried33

Recruit
Hi everyone , so I'm new to boats , and I apologize if this has been covered a hundred times already . I picked up a boat w/ mercruiser 488 alpha 1 gen 1 about 5 months ago and just changed the bellows , u-joint bearing and shift cable . After installing the outdrive , forward will not engage , I've followed every guide on how to adjust and still nothing.
2 things to note ;
1. The last time i had the boat on the water before doing the repairs shifting from nuetral to to foward then back was clunky . Foward would not engage til about 9 or 10 o'clock and would not go into nuetral til about 2 o'clock .
2. With the outdrive off . I noticed with the drive in forward, turning the prop would put the drive in nuetral , and it was difficult to put the shift lever back into forward. Barely rotating the prop would cause the shift lever to point counter clockwise .

Again , I'm new to boats , done a ton of repairs to this boat so far ( new cam shaft seals , carb rebuild , etc) but this one is definitely kicking my butt . Any help would be much appreciated , thanks

Rick Stephens

Admiral
With the drive off the boat, turn the brass shoe so it faces directly forward. It should not turn past that when it is turned CW. The prop should be engaged if you turn it Counter Clock Wise. If it does engage properly, stick a bungee on the prop to hold it CCW and reinstall on your boat. Make sure the shifter is in forward gear.

If it doesn't face directly forward when you rotate the brass shoe, then you must split the cases and get the lower turned all the way CW and then attach the upper case while keeping the brass shoe directly forward.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
A common mistake is to leave out the stainless steel washer that sits on top of the shift shaft. Without the washer in place the intermediate shaft does not go high enough to engage with the upper shift shaft. Just something to check and make sure it is in place.

A common mistake is to leave out the stainless steel washer that sits on top of the shift shaft. Without the washer in place the intermediate shaft does not go high enough to engage with the upper shift shaft. Just something to check and make sure it is in place.
Nice to see you back on here!